postpartum symptoms and lack of care from dr.'s - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

okay ladies I want to pick your brain....i went in to the ob's office today with the following symptoms. they ordered bloodwork and an ultrasound both of which were normal so they brushed off all of my symptoms and told me to call back in 2-3 months (!!!) if things didn't improve. what are your thoughts on what could be going on? (I ask this fully knowing that most of you are not medical professionals...i'm just trying to run through what could possibly be going on)

Background:
-Delivered on 6/19. Normal vaginal birth at home. I was 10 days past my edd and the placenta was heavily calcified and friable but to the best of my midwife's knowledge was intact.

-day 3 postpartum ended up with an intense uterine infection. passed 2 large pieces of membranes. 2 different antibiotics later the infection was gone by 2 weeks postpartum

-5 weeks postpartum i had signs of ovulation

-6 weeks postpartum i had what appeared to be a normal menses (I'm exclusively breastfeeding so was very surprised to have my menstrual cycle return so quickly)

Current symptoms:
-8 weeks postpartum I started spotting, but it was old, brownish-black thick spotting. heavy enough to wear a pad, but only had to change it once a day and more because it was icky and thick not because it was soaking through a pad. 

-I've now been spotting for 10 days. it's still really dark and pretty thick. none of it has looked like fresh blood, even as it's gotten brighter/redder it's continued to be dark red. the blood is has a lot of small clots and bits of stringy material

-severe headaches

-leg cramps

-nausea

-i'm down to 10 pounds BELOW my pre-pregnancy weight (without exercising or trying to loose weight)

-mild hand tremors

-slightly elevated bp

-dizziness and light headedness. sometimes momentarily so severe that i feel like i'm about to fall over and my vision goes black for a brief second

-at my appointment today the CNM said my uterus was "soft" and the size of a 10-12 week pregnant uterus

CBC came back normal, my hemoglobin is 14 (not sure yet about the other numbers) 

They also ran a thyroid panel which came back normal

Pregnancy test was negative

ultrasound showed enlarged uterus but no retained products or excessive bleeding

What could be going on with my body???? Have any of you experienced or seen something similar???

#2 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM

Was this your first baby? What has your activity level been the last 2 weeks vs the first 6 weeks postpartum?
What do you mean by "signs of ovulation?"

Soft uterus sounds...undesirable? My birth experience was kind of a blur, but seems to me they wanted my uterus feeling small/hard/tight before I even left the hospital.

How high is high for bp readings? Did they check your urine for protein?
#3 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I sounds like you could have retained products to me, regardless of the ultrasound results. I would either see another Dr or go to ED. I'm sorry your doctor dismissed you so quickly.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 6 Old 08-22-2012, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmorefarmgirl View Post

Was this your first baby? What has your activity level been the last 2 weeks vs the first 6 weeks postpartum?
What do you mean by "signs of ovulation?"
Soft uterus sounds...undesirable? My birth experience was kind of a blur, but seems to me they wanted my uterus feeling small/hard/tight before I even left the hospital.
How high is high for bp readings? Did they check your urine for protein?

This is my third baby.

My activity level has been about the same for the past month or so.

By "signs of ovulation" i mean fertile quality cervical mucous (in my underwear, i didn't check my cervix at all bc i wasn't expecting ovulation) and my sciatica always flares up when i ovulate and was flared up at the same time i noticed the eggwhite cm

my BP wasn't high by normal standards, but was high for ME. I'm typically around 110/70 and was 126/86 so not extremely high but enough for me to note that it was out of my normal range

#5 of 6 Old 08-25-2012, 07:34 PM

How are you feeling? Any updates or 2nd opinions? Hope you are doing ok mama!
#6 of 6 Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 PM

OP, you sound like you need a new OB.  I would be worried too, although I don't know what they could do about it other than what was already ordered.  Maybe a different US tech would catch something?  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page