After pains - why do they get worse with each birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shouldn't subsequent births be a btdt event for the uterus? Why oh why all the pain? With my last birth (3rd), I felt like I was in labor for the next two days after birth. Just huge tidal waves of contractions every time I nursed. With my first they were nonexistent, with my second, not worth mentioning. Why do they get worse? And do they continue getting worse with each birth, indefinitely? If so, I imagine a 6 or 7 time mom would fret about the after pains far more than the labor itself. What can be done? I had to beg the nurses to give me something just so I wouldn't drop baby while nursing him and even then I felt as though they didn't really believe I was in that much pain.
#2 of 12 Old 08-22-2012, 07:08 PM

i had let everyone know before birth to give me motrin asap after #4's birth! (and it was a homebirth lol) it *is* strange! with #1 i never felt the afterpains.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#3 of 12 Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 PM

No afterpains with DD, but with DS I hurt so bad. And it hurt so much to deliver the placenta.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 12 Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 PM

My worst were with #3, but 4 was pretty bad, too.  I don't need pain med for labor, but I do take motrin for abterbirth pain...The more heavy the bleeding after, the more it's hurt for me....

Anyone have any ideas for relief?  Afterease tincture didn't help much for me....

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#5 of 12 Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 PM

Dang, they get worse with every birth? I didn't feel any afterpains with DS....I thought I was off the hook!

#6 of 12 Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 PM

I never had any afterpains that required painmedication, no real afterpain altogether. But than, I did have to take medication to encourage the uterus to contract, since it wouldn't do it on it's own very well and there was the thread of surgery.

So, afterpain is a good thing :)

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

#7 of 12 Old 08-23-2012, 06:20 PM

I've had TERRIBLE afterpains that have gotten worse each time. Yes, I'd rather have an epidural after the birth than before. Was on Tylenol 3 last time, and will hopefully get a prescription this time around too.

I was told it's because the uterus is stretchier, it just takes longer to shrink.

ETA: Afterease didn't do diddly-squat for me, unfortunately.

Loads of blessings, and learning on the job.
run.gif 

#8 of 12 Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Afterease was worthless to me. I strongly consider smashing it again the wall at one point. The afterpains were worse with some of the kids then labor was and I would not say I had easy labors by any means! The after pains though would have me curled in the bed, sobbing. The uterus is more stretched out and has to work harder to get smaller then it previously did. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 12 Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 PM

i bought some crampbark in hopes that will help

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#10 of 12 Old 08-25-2012, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

hmm. so the uterus gets consistently 'stretchier' with each pregnancy and birth. So it's safe to say afterpains do get worse each time? That makes it sound like the uterus is some fragile organ that should not be used too often. I have always heard that it is a muscle that only gets stronger with each 'use'. Which is it? Oh, isn't RRL tea supposed to tone the uterus? - perhaps this what they mean by 'tone'. That is, it reduces the stretchiness and makes the after-contractions smoother and more efficient and thereby less painful. ??? Has anyone actually tried RRL and found that afterpains were greatly reduced?

#11 of 12 Old 08-25-2012, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My pg where I used RRL before and during, was the one with the worst after pains.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#12 of 12 Old 08-26-2012, 09:27 AM

i didnt notice any difference between the RRL and non RRL

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page