Bright red postpartum bleeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I am almost 4 weeks postpartum and I am still having very bright red bleeding.  My bleeding had tapered to just a little pink spotting around day 5 pp and then at day 8 the bright red started back up.  It is not enough to soak a pad or anything like that but it is consistently bright red and has not increased or decreased and has been happening for over 2 weeks.  I keep getting told that it is because I am doing too much.  I know that that is the usual answer for bright red bleeding this far into postpartum but here is the thing... i'm not doing anything.  I mean i have been changing more diapers and I try to get a shower every day but that is basically all.

I am just freaking out about it and I don't feel like my midwives get what I am saying.  They keep saying it will stop and to call if it doesn't so I call and they say we can watch it a bit more.  

Does anybody know what this bleeding means.  Everything says it is not good but I don't know why?  What could be wrong?  Do I want to know? 

:(

Thanks to anybody with any help, advice, support.

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

#2 of 6 Old 08-24-2012, 10:22 AM

hmmmmm i think i would ask for an u/s to rule out retained product. i don't think it is necessarily bad but if the bleeding doesn't change then i would probably persist a bit more for an answer.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-24-2012, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

That is normal for me really but you should certainly feel free to get it checked if it concerns you. I had my six week with my ob and let her know I was still spotting red and she didn't seem concerned, my uterus was back to where it should be now. 

#4 of 6 Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 AM

It sounds normal to me.  That said, if *you* don't think it is (and you know your body!!), press for your midwife to check you out.  I had pretty minimal bleeding and then on day 14 I had huge bright red clots.  Freaked me out!  Called my doctor right away and they had me come in that morning.  They did an ultrasound to check for retained placenta.  I was fine.  Apparently, it can take a while for the uterus to shed it's lining and apparently that is what happened in my case. 

#5 of 6 Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1189895/postpartum-bleeding-question  

I commented here a couple of years ago, might help you.

#6 of 6 Old 08-25-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody.  I really appreciate your replies.  It makes me feel better that it is normal for others.  I talked to my midwives again and they are totally not concerned and think this is completely normal.  I got a little bit more sleep last night so I am doing better at chilling out about it.

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page