Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Birth and Beyond (http://www.mothering.com/forum/213-birth-beyond/)
-   -   IC and at risk for preterm labor can anyone relate? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/213-birth-beyond/1363386-ic-risk-preterm-labor-can-anyone-relate.html)

missmelly 09-15-2012 04:20 PM

i've felt scared and alone now for awhile, thinking why it is i could possibly have a short cervix and what i could do to stop it, i am now 24 weeks and my cervix is measuring at 1.9 now starting out almost a week ago at 2.5 then two prior i was at 2.7.. i've been on strict bed rest and am at risk for preterm labor which is scary! this is my first pregnancy so i didn't know what to expect.. but believe it or not bedrest does help! ( it's kept me from being admitted to the hospital thank god!) even though it feels kinda crappy to feel so dependent on someone else, it's better to be safe than sorry i know! i just don't understand why i would have to be put on bed rest at the hospital if i can be on bedrest at home... the babys head is pushing on my cervix, so i'm hoping bedrest is still going to be beneficial so i can atleast make it to 30 weeks.. i go back in 2 weeks to get checked and am hoping i don't get admitted to stay in the hospital.. last appointment a week ago i was in triage so it was kinda scary to think i could possibly give birth this early! any kind words, suggestions, or just someone who could relate to my situation would be a big help as support!

HappyHappyMommy 09-19-2012 11:48 PM

missmelly; welcome to MDC and congratulations on your pregnancy. I was on bedrest for some of my pregnancy and everyone said to me "oh, that must be great. you can read, you can watch movies, you don't have to do anything." And I thought, um, yeah, for a day maybe! Not to mention that there's a big difference between being on vacation and taking a day to rest, relax, and read and being on bedrest because of a complication or potential in your pregnancy. I'm sending lots of support to you. hug.gif

Anyone else have experiences to share?

LLQ1011 09-20-2012 12:41 AM

I was on bed rest my entire pregnancy fro 6 weeks to 37 weeks. I also have an IC cervix as well as other issues. It really depends on what is making your cervix shorten. I have preterm labor that starts at 13weeks on the dot and lost my daughter and my first son at 18 weeks (different pregnancies) So for me hospital bed rest was what I needed because I needed interventions to stop the labor. I tried at home bed rest and it wasn't enough so I spent 4 months in the hospital. My cervix was .4mm when I was discharged at 34 weeks and I was dialated to 3 or 4. I literally put my feet above my head almost the entire time. Now if your cervix just shortens from the normal progression of pregnancy then bedrest will probably be much more effective because it relieves some pressure.

It sucks to be on bedrest but so worth it. I will say that my history made it pretty paramount and I was  a stickler (even peed in a pot or two if I felt like getting up would be too much when i was at home) I am not sure how good I would have been if it had been my first pregnancy so you are doing great. I read a lot of books and joined a lot of forums. And watched a lot of trashy tv.

The thing I liked about hospital bed rest was the monitoring. I always knew the baby was ok and I never had to worry about food. My family and BF helped out a lot but there would be days where people would be hours late and I wouldn't be able to eat a meal besides snacks. This way I just ordered my food and it was fine. When my cervix hit 2.5 I was automatically admitted to the hospital. I also sewed 7 baby blankets and ordered so much baby stuff online. I also read books on my kindle.

The funny part is that at 32 weeks my contractions stopped and I actually had to be induces at 37 weeks because of complications. I would not change a thing about what we went through during this last pregnancy for our son. He is 10 months old and the joy of our lives.

chel 09-20-2012 07:43 AM

I had Ic issues with my toddler. I was dx at 22w with a cervix of 9mm with funneling. Didn't notice at my 20w u/s, but when I went it for my AMA u/s at 22w they just happened to notice. I was put on strict home bedrest till 24w then went to the hospital for a month.
At 24w the doctors see it as a viable pregnancy. Before that all I could do was bedrest and pray. So OP be prepared to be admitted now that you are viable. Also depends how close you are to a hospital that can handle such a young preterm.
Even though most of the medical professionals didn't think I would make it to viability, I made it to full term. Cervix never went lower than 9mm and even though I had lots of funneling, I never dilated past 2cm.

Overall very stressful. Dh was given a job transfer when I was 23w. Marriage went to hell.
The mental stress of a high risk pregnancy is often overlooked.

Not to run you off MDC, but there's also a great IC message board out there, forgot name.

I did lots of sudoku and word puzzles.

Best of luck!