Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Birth and Beyond (http://www.mothering.com/forum/213-birth-beyond/)
-   -   Vacuum assisted birth (http://www.mothering.com/forum/213-birth-beyond/1364305-vacuum-assisted-birth.html)

sewcrafty 09-25-2012 10:56 PM

I'm new to this site and was wondering if I could get some insight. Sorry in advance for the long post, but I thought it would help to explain the events leading up to the vacuum extraction. I was induced back in May at 40 wks (first baby) due to sudden high BP, protein in urine, and severe edema. They started me on pitocin (evil stuff btw) around 10 am. I had ctx but no pain.

The next morning around 8 am, the OB checked me and I had only gone from 1 cm to 2. The OB broke my water (without my permission) and the ctx were hard and fast within 5 or 10 minutes. I was able to deal with the ctx through deep breathing, but eventually the pain became so intense I started crying. I had no breaks between my ctx, making it worse. I labored for awhile on the birthing ball then got into all sorts of positions trying to get comfy.

I declined an epidural, but did get something to take the edge off. About four hours or so after my water broke, I began feeling the urge to push and started bearing down. The nurse checked me and I was only 7 or 8 cm dilated. I continued to push (lightly) despite her telling me not to. An hour later, I yelled out that I needed to push. The nurse said I was 10 cm but had a "lip" of cervix in the way so she attempted to push it out of the way (don't know if it worked or not).

About an hour or so (not sure) after pushing, my husband and the nurse said they could see his head. I figured if they could see his head, then it must be almost over. Boy was I wrong. I ended up pushing for three hours total. After that time, the OB came in and asked if he could use the vacuum and I agreed. Before the vacuum, each time I pushed, my son moved down only a little each time. After awhile, he didn't seem to be coming down anymore. I pushed semi-reclined and whenever I felt the urge (which was almost continuous). The vacuum was successful though. I pushed while the doctor pulled and my son was out in a couple of pushes. 

I still don't know why my son took so long to descend and why I couldn't push him out without the vacuum. He had a lot of head molding and a caput from the vacuum slightly towards the back of his head and to the right. He also had a scab on the back of his head on the left. Could those things indicate malpositioning? I'm sure the AROM didn't help if he was badly positioned. The nurse did comment while I was pushing that my son might be posterior, even though he was born anterior. Could the premature urge to push and the cervical lip be due to asynclitism or posterior position? When I was pregnant, I remember him being over on my right, with his feet on my left and feeling his hands by my left hip. I'm just trying to make sense of it all. I would appreciate any advice or stories from other women who experienced a similar situation. Thanks.

womenswisdom 09-26-2012 05:38 AM

In my experience, mamas with a persistent cervical lip have always had a posterior baby. They usually do rotate once they hit the pelvic floor and are born anterior. Feeling your body pushing lightly at 8cm is not usual. It's pretty normal. The overwhelming, long pushes don't typically happen until you are complete, but some pushing feeling at the peak of a contraction at that dilation is not uncommon.

Pushing semi-reclined is possibly the most difficult position to push out any baby, much less one who is malpositioned. It contracts the pelvic floor because the tailbone is compressed toward the front and makes the diameter as small as possible. Even pushing flat on your back is easier than semi-reclining because your tailbone is not being compressed.

sewcrafty 09-26-2012 10:37 AM

Thank you for your insight. Sounds like my son might have been posterior, but turned at the last minute. Do you think the mark from the vacuum being off to the right could indicate posterior position as well? I wasn't sure about the pushing before full dilation, so thanks for clarifying. I really don't know why I pushed half way sitting up. I had planned on pushing while squatting, but for whatever reason I continued to push in the same position and neither I nor my husband thought to have me change positions. I think it was a combination of being blinded by the pain and also because my husband kept saying "the baby is almost here" the whole time. I'm hoping for a home birth with a midwife and a doula next time around, so hopefully everything goes much more smoothly and without interventions.

JamieCatheryn 10-01-2012 12:56 PM

Mine may have been posterior some portion of the time too, going from ROA around to posterior and then around some more. I had an early urge to push. We don't count the pushing stage in mine starting until I finally got past that last lip and then it didn't take long. I tried with all my might to hold back until things opened up totally. In the bed it's so hard to change positions when you're in the middle of pushing, mine don't give breaks in that stage either. In the hospital with my first they threatened the vacuum extractor on me but once past the lip and when everyone was gathering round me for birth the pushing only took 20 minutes. With my second the same thing repeated but it was a homebirth and I was on the floor, much easier to move as needed that way. I was checking myself to keep track of what was happening as just pushing as my body told me to didn't work right (again). I blew through contractions a while, then had the midwife hold the lip out of the way while I pushed. I got past the lip part but was swollen so we applied arnica then I lay flat on my back to hold back the pushing for 10-15 minutes straight of contraction. As soon as I just couldn't hold back anymore I got up and knelt then went to hands and knees, then the whole crowning and birth took just seconds.

So in my case in a similar situation, doing all I could not to push with the urge til there was no stopping that baby made it work best. In case it happens again this time I'm learning hypnobabies and going to focus hard on the "breathe baby down" thing, my pushing isn't voluntary but the mind and body are strongly connected so maybe I'll have some say over it.

sewcrafty 10-01-2012 08:19 PM

Thank you for your story. I like hearing stories from other women who had a similar experience. For the most part, I'm just trying to come to terms with my birth experience. I know it didn't go terribly wrong and overall it was what I wanted, however, I still find myself having a hard time with it. Sometimes I feel like my body failed me because it took so long to push out my son. I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I do. I think I may need to get a hold of my hospital records to help me put the pieces together and hopefully, heal and feel great about the birth.

Alenushka 10-01-2012 09:28 PM

Bodies fail on a pretty regular basis. Not just birthing bodies but all bodies. Evolution does not make it perfect , just good enough. There plenty of vegans who get cancer, thin people with diabetes mad joggers with high cholesterol.

From evolutenary point of views, it is perfectly find that only 2-3  babies would survive out of 10.

Of cure, humans are smart species. We have modern medicine and now we do not have to have 10 kids to see 2 grow up, and we do not have to dies at 30 from a strep throat. 

So, yes , our bodies are not perfect and things happen, but hooray to things ending well!