what would you put in an emergency birth kit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-19-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've got a couple of medium long car trips that I absolutely have to make between now and my "due date", and most of the drive is in rural areas. What would you put in a roadside crash kit just in case baby decides NOW is the perfect time to make an appearance? I was thinking towels, baby wipes, a change of clothes, a shoelace. . . what else needs to go in there?

#2 of 4 Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Are you having a homebirth? I saw a post about a midwife home visit from you I think. Throw some of the underpads from the birth kit in the car, gloves or hand sanitizer for anyone who would help catch. I'd want 2 ties or clamps for the cord in case it were needed in special circumstance, and sterile scissors or scalpel in case the cord did need to get cut (like if it were short and/or placenta took a while). Though I think if all went normally I'd wrap the placenta up and leave it attached til things settled down and we got somewhere. Hat, diaper, clothes, and blankets for baby. Blanket for you (don't want shock and getting dressed again might take a bit). Postpartum pads for you. Water and snacks, good to have in case of any road emergency but if you gave birth you'd really need something to recharge with.

#3 of 4 Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

yes, I'm planning a homebirth. that's a really good point about some chux and the snacks. thanks!

#4 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 AM

i think it all depends on what you would consider Emergent, and or vital to your comfort. Anything you feel you would need at home that you can put in the car is a good start.

mom to boy 14, boy 5, angel.gif  11 week loss, 2ndtri.gif  Expecting a surprise in December! lactivist.gifintactivist.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifrocks.jpguc.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page