Csection Birth SUPPORT THREAD for Tammy! Information on pain relief/nursing/rest - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 04-26-2004, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammylc
I went shopping and bought some maternity underwear today (since I always wear bikinis).

My hospital and my OB are very supportive of breastfeeding. I'll be able to breastfeed as soon we get to the recovery room. I'm really, really committed to doing everything I can to make it work. We are rooming in, so that should help. After everything else I've been through, if I'm unable to breastfeed successfully, I think I'll be totally at my wits end.
**I know how you feel. After being induced at 33-34 wks and having an emergency csection and having my baby flight for lifed away from me before even meeting him I was a t wits end. A birth doesn't always go as planned as I learned and all odds were against me bf'ing my 4lb baby on oxygen, etc. (per the medical staff) BUT I made certain I could. We didn't allow ANY formula to be given (donor milk was used) NO artificial nipples either. ON the 3rd day of his life we met for the first time and the little thing latched right on. The next 3 weeks were me bf'ing him and him being gavaged my bm until he was strong enough to just bf. It CAN be done and I think if we were successful anyone can be. From the failure of my pregnancy to the failed birth plan to everything I thank my mother nature I was able to breastfeed. It's the only thing that went right~
good luck hon!
Kimberley & Baylor
#32 of 35 Old 04-26-2004, 11:48 AM

Tammy, I"m so excited for you! Best, best wishes for a happy and healthy birth. We'll all be waiting eagerly to hear your birth story, though I know you won't be able to post from the hospital - do ask a friend or DH if they can just post a quick update for you, if they can.

Go Tammy!!!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#33 of 35 Old 04-26-2004, 11:55 AM

Thinking about you today! Can't wait to hear how it went.
#34 of 35 Old 04-26-2004, 12:39 PM

Hi Tam-
I hope that this post finds you and your babe well. I am proof that anyone can breastfeed if you have the will there's always the way. My advice to you is not to accept even the idea of failure.

Hmmm... let me do this in list form:
1. Avoid pumping if you can. I didn't know left from right when it came to pumping or bf'ing and while in the hospital they gave me the pump- so I pumped... enough to fill thre mini-fridges, before a nurse finally educated me to the fact that I was convincing my body I'd just had sixtuplets and needed to NOT pump so much (my baby is a preemie so he was being gavaged my bm and nursing so I DID HAVE TO pump, but still!). Once home it became evident that pumping got in the way of his natural control over my milk supply. Problems were created via pumping.
2. Your nipples may be sore and burning but using that nipple lube will just delay them toughening up... I had to stop the stuff cold turkey and within a week they were pain free and I could wear shirts without that oily stain on each boob!
3. Don't worry about if your babe is getting enough milk. She is! Unless she's not peeing or pooping you need not be anxious about your production. It's a nat'l process that works so well!
4. your baby may nurse every hour for months... maybe every 3... to each baby his/her own desire. Don't worry if your babies schedule is different than another mother may report of her baby.
5. Be comfortable NIP'ing... do it often so it becomes a regular thing and not an uncomfortable moment.
6. If your baby is big enough nursing at night can be done while you rest! Lay on your side and lead babe too the nipple and latch on. She can wake and nurse to her desire and you can snooze during that time too!
Good luck!
Kimberley
#35 of 35 Old 04-28-2004, 03:29 PM

Has anybody heard any news yet?????

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page