Cervical fluid, am I ovulating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2004, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, my dd is 6 months old and I am breastfeeding. However, I am supplementing (have since almost the beginning) AND she's started solids AND she's starting to sleep for about 7-8hr stretches at night. So, it makes sense that my fertility would return anytime now.

I've noticed a real increase in CF in the last month, and it's very stretchy. I used NFP for years as contraception and then to get pregnant, so I recognize the CF you get when you ovulate. The minute I saw it I thought, "Uh oh, AF in a couple of weeks.." only it's been several weeks and still nothing! Is this normal?

I am sure it's not an infection or anything, and it hasn't been constant but off and on (a few days of CF, a few days with none). Somedays it seems like alot, more than I ever had before I was pregnant. Am I ovulating but not menstruating? What could be going on??

flowersforyou.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 03:35 PM

No answers for you, but the exact same thing happened to me except that my dd was about 8 mo when it happened. I suspect our fertility is returning! Better use your bc unless you want to be preggo again!

I had so much CM that it seemed like I ovulated 2x that month! but now things seem regular but still no AF! I guess anything goes when you are bfeeding - its maddening!

Just wanted you to know you're not alone
Old 04-21-2004, 10:56 PM

Hi. No answers either, just wanted to ask what AF means (I get that you mean your period, just can't think what the initials could stand for.) Thanks!

By the way, I got my period at 5 weeks pp, and then again at 7 weeks, and then pretty much monthly since then (8 months pp now). AND I was bf'ing around the clock, especially in the 1st few months. (Now we're supplementing, too.)

Anyway good luck!
Old 04-22-2004, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by karuna
Hi. No answers either, just wanted to ask what AF means (I get that you mean your period, just can't think what the initials could stand for.) Thanks!
Aunt Flo

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

Old 04-22-2004, 03:14 AM

The only way you could be ovulating, but not menstruating is if you got pg. If that's not a possibility, then your body was probably close to ovulating but nursing suppressed your hormones just enough to stop it.

I had fertile cm off and on for MONTHS before my period came back.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
Old 04-22-2004, 11:54 AM

I noticed the same thing after my son was born, and have heard it from a lot of other women as well. It's almost like your body starts doing "practice cycles" when you're gearing up for the return of your fertility. First I noticed more fertile-quality CM, and after a few months of that, AF returned... but then it still took another three months before I actually ovulated (I was doing NFP, which is how I know).

It might not mean that you're ovulating, but it probably means that you will sometime in the next several months.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:32 PM

That makes sense, I've been "out of practice" with all this nursing and being pregnant the past couple years LOL
Old 04-22-2004, 03:11 PM

It's perfectly normal when you are not ovulating, to get patches of ewcm and other signs of fertility.

I was practicing FAM, and had the exact same experience as JanB. Patches of fertile signs a few months before AF, and then still didn't ovulate for a couple more months after that.

Of course, it's different for everyone. There are no guarantees when it comes to breastfeeding and fertility.

User Tag List