Benefits of skin to skin with daddy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-19-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My almost 4 month old and I still do skin to skin.  I'm not sure if there are still benefits to this but I just love it so much so we have continued to every night :D  The other day my DD's father made a comment about how Aurora was going to love me so much more because we get all that bonding time :(  I think he knows that that is not true but it still made me a little sad so I mentioned that because Aurora loves bath time maybe he take them with her from now on.  I just always jumped right in with her so that's what my boyfriend did.  She loved it so much and was just full of giggles!!  But then her dad asked if it was appropriate for him to be naked in front of her?!  She's only 4 months (almost) so I would say it is Absolutely fine!!  I remember taking showers with my dad and it was never a bad thing if I walked in on my mother getting changed.  But he says that it was always a big deal if he saw his mother naked, she would freak out and holler for him to get out.  I personally think we should be able to be comfortable with our bodies in front of Aurora so that she doesn't become ashamed of her body and hopefully some day she will feel comfortable to talk to me about questions she may have re-guarding her body.  Anyways I told my DD's father how I felt about it all and that if he didn't feel comfortable then maybe he could get in some skin to skin with her when he holds her.  Does any one know of some good sites to show the benefits to father/baby skin to skin?  Also I would just like to hear how your partner's get in their bonding time.

TIA  :D

#2 of 4 Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We gently shoo our kids out when we're going to get changed after like age 4, no shouting at them or anything unless they're repeatedly ignoring us about any instruction. Of course you avoid actual contact with private areas at any age just for appropriateness, at some times throwing on some undies seems more right. Snuggling with baby with no shirt on is good for hormones and warmth with either mom and for dad. With our first he got a lot of time in the evenings with daddy because he was rather high needs, fought sleep and had to be swaddled then walked around, constantly moving, and I was too tired to do it by then. Just time together, daddy playing with or taking care of them, is great for bonding. And let him do things his way.

#3 of 4 Old 11-24-2012, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS has almost always been bathed by dad, sometimes together sometimes not. When I bath him I usually get in with him otherwise my back hurts too much. When he was as little as yours is most bonding was bath time or he would rock & carry him around at night during one of the later wake ups so I could get a little sleep (we co-slept). Oh, he also wore him in the Mei Tai when we were out.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please ignore typos.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#4 of 4 Old 12-02-2012, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DH did skin to skin with our son as well.  He was always pretty easy going and still is.  At bedtime, he will still take his shirt off just for that extra bonding.  DS seems to still love it.  I don't think there is anything inappropriate about bathing with her at this age.  I have friends who have girls that shower with their dads up until they start to become aware of the anatomy.  For me it's not personally an issue.  I'm comfortable with my body and I want my children to be the same way.  We use the actual names for body parts; not nick names or pet names.  To each his/her own when it comes to this kind of thing.  

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page