Have you measured above 40cm in any of your pregnancies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At my 38.2 (LMP) appointment I measured 40 cm. (Or 37.6 ultrasound date, which we were going off of up till now since I went so late last two times). Previous 2 pregnancies I didn't measure 40cm until I was 10 days past and 16 days past my LMP date.

I'm curious how many of you have gone over 40cm -- and if there was any direct connection to baby size??

My other two were right around 8 pounds, and this time I've been suspecting a larger baby for a while and have gotten SO many stretch marks it's just crazy. I can hardly move and the burning/itching is driving me nuts. I'm desperately hoping for labor ANY time, although no signs to be optimistic about yet. Due date (for LMP date) is Monday and I'm going to cry if I go as late as my last two! :(

#2 of 11 Old 11-23-2012, 11:51 PM

Yes, in my second pregnancy. She was my smallest though and we are assuming I had lots of fluid. 

#3 of 11 Old 11-23-2012, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I did, with my second.  Apparently I had been measuring normally all along, about a cm for each week, or whatever it is they want.  And then in the last week or so, it jumped up considerably.  I started measuring 45 cm.  I think I was at 47 cm at the end.  I did have a large baby.  She was long, over 23".

#4 of 11 Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 AM

No, I've never measured over 40. I measured the closest to 40 with my biggest baby. With my smaller babies I measured 2-3 cms behind at the end.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#5 of 11 Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

I googled it last night and found lots of mixed answers. Some huge babies, some little babies and lots of fluid, people who measured over, and then shrunk the next week when their baby dropped..

She hasn't dropped at all yet, so I'm sure that's contributing some. I don't feel like I have a lot of fluid -- it just feels like a big 'ol baby in there. For a long time she just felt freakishly long when she stretched out, and now the limbs are feeling big all over too. I'm 99% sure she is going to be too long for most of my newborn clothes, just going by what I'm feeling when she stretches out her legs. My midwife has commented at how long she feels too, and speculated a week and a half ago that she was nearing 8 pounds. Baby #2 was 22" and I thought that was long, so I guess we will see what happens. Daddy and I are small, so I'm not sure where the size would be coming from!

#6 of 11 Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 PM

i have never even measured 40cm - i think at the end it just depends so much on your height, your torso, how you carry, baby's position, fluid levels etc.   I topped out at 38 w/#1, 37w/#2, and 36w/#3 - those #s don't go along with who was biggest or longest or how pregnant i was .. (#1 was the earliest, #2 the biggest/latest. #3 was the longest)

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#7 of 11 Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 PM

this PG i measured 46 cm about a month before i gave birth. baby was 10 lbs 4 oz

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#8 of 11 Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 AM

I measured 41 w when I was 40w6d. DS was born 41w3d at 10lb 13 oz and 23.25 in long.

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#9 of 11 Old 11-25-2012, 03:12 PM

I haven't in my other four pregnancies...I was 39cm at 39 weeks with my last- my biggest baby and biggest fundal height.
However, I'm currently 33 weeks and measuring 41 cm. We'll see what happens in a few weeks smile.gif

Jenny
married to M
mama to Z (9), S (6), G1 (3), G2 (1) and someone new! expected Jan 2013
#10 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM

My friend was 52+ cm with her last son.  They sent her for and U/S to rule out twins.  Her baby wasn't huge and she didn't have a ton of extra amniotic fluid either.  Her baby was just over 8 lbs. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#11 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

52cm!!! poor lady. I wonder what contributed to that, if it wasn't a big baby or a lot of fluid.

I'm 5'3 but I have a super long torso, so I hardly ever experience that "baby in your ribs" unless they're in a weird position.

I'm 41 weeks today and measured 41cm on Friday... Looks like my ultrasound date is more correct, though, in which case I'm really still in my 39th week. Whatever the case, I'm SO impatient to meet this new little one!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page