Educating Our Parents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi There!

I'm brandy new to Mothering.com and hoping that someone can help me. I will be honest up front and admit that I'm not having a homebirth, but this looked like the best thread to post my question to!

I am about 16 weeks pregnant (my first pregnancy) and have decided to use a CNM at a local hospital. This particular OBGYN group is known for promoting and supporting natural birth, actively trying to reduce un-necessary cesarians, and supporting a mother's general well being. We (my husband and I) are VERY excited to have found such a supportive group of doctors and midwives that work together for mine and my baby's total wellbeing. We are also hiring a doula to support us at the hospital.

All that being said, my mother is expressing continuous doubts about our decision to use a practice that supports midwives. About 20+ years ago, a cousin of hers used a midwife that "didn't call in a doctor's help when she should have" (I put this in quotes as my mother was not there and can't know the full details of the labor and delivery) and, unfortunately, the child suffered permanent brain injury. So, her one encounter with a midwife was negative.

Now that I've made my decision for my birth, she is continuously voicing her concerns over my choice and questioning my research. She has (fortunately) agreed to read/watch anything I can recommend to her on current, safe birth practices. What would all of you recommend as great reading or other resources for a concerned grandparent-to-be? The books I'm reading are very long and detailed and I'm not sure they'd keep her interest long enough.

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Welcome! I'm pretty new myself. I've had it both ways, birth at home & hospital w/ midwives, they were both good births. Would she watch The Business of Being Born? I know it's not a book but a movie night is fun, especially if you've not seen it yourself. It's on Netflix & focuses more on the midwives at homebirths so should really ease her mind on your being at a hospital.

The only book I've ever read w/ my first 3 babies was "What to Expect When You're Expecting"- Meh. And Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. The latter one made me a difficult hospital patient & the birth wasn't the best (strapped to the bed the whole time; not literally, just w/ the monitoring belt. Getting out of the bed was a no-no there.) but it did enable me to go intervention free. My last hospital birth was the difference between night & day, it's amazing the difference being able to move around makes.

I've just ordered Raihma Baldwin's book & am waiting for it in the mail. Congratulations on your baby! I'm 16 weeks too.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#3 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 AM

Henci Goer's The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth has lots of science and studies. I highly recommend it.

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#4 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much to both of you.

Recommending The Business of Being Born is a GREAT idea. I have seen it myself and find it to be very accessible in terms of content. I liked all the different perspectives it supported. Voondrop - huge congratulations on your pregnancy!

One of the challenges I'm coming across with books specifically is that so many of them were published 10+ years ago - I realize this doesn't make them any less correct (women have been giving birth for thousands of years - our basic needs haven't changed much). However, my mom is BIG on the latest and greatest technology so the more recent the statistics, the more likely she is to consider the source to be credible.

#5 of 6 Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 AM

Ina May's newest book, Birth Matters, is quite good and came out fairly recently.

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#6 of 6 Old 12-17-2012, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

I'm moving this to the general pregnancy forum for more suggestions. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page