Two Guys Undergo Simulated Labor Pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

These two Dutch guys do the "Guinea Pigs" show, taking on all sorts of challenges. I don't understand a word of it but just had to share this one where they undergo simulated labor. The "labor" doesn't get started until about minute 3 and moves quickly from some slight pain and laughter to some "Jesus Christ!" (the only thing I could understand in the whole clip!) and into some serious pain. They even get offered pain relief! Gas and air I think?  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I watched this yesterday and I speak Dutch.

Intro: "The pains of labor are the worst kind of pain, at least that's if we can believe women and they claim that we men wouldn't be able to handle them."
He asks the PT: "Do you think we'll be screaming in pain?" and she says: "Oh certainly!"
At about 3:44 he comments that it feels like barbed wire is being pushed into his stomach.
At 4:15 the labor coach says: "I can see you're wanting to fight this but that won't help. You really have to accept the pain because you can't escape it." and then she tells the PT: "I think we need to ramp it up because labor pains are no laughing matter and as long as they're laughing I think the current isn't set high enough!"
At 5:33 the guy says: "Don't joke Dennis, I'm going crazy just thinking about the fact that this is going to last two hours."
6:40: "It seems like a laughing matter but it's really not."
7:19: "I don't know if I can do this any longer. It may look like I can handle it but I could just break down and cry right now. How long have we been going at it?" He's given nitrous oxide, laughing gas, which I've never heard of being used during labor...
8:15: "I don't want to do this anymore." The experiment lasted two hours and the first guy gives up at 1 hour and 5 minutes.
At the end he says: "I'm not sure I can impregnate my wife now." The other guy, the one who stuck it out, says it was one of the greatest experiences of his life and he's grateful he did it.

Now that I am a mom I no longer have time for knit.gif,teapot2.GIF,read.gif
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Oh my goodness, I'll have to check that out later at home!  You asked about nitrous, that's been routine pain relief in the UK and Europe for quite a while, I think.  Someone from there would know more details...

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Old 01-19-2013, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Nitrous oxide is common in the Middle East too - probably from the European influence. 

Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 AM

Oh, my, that is interesting. bigeyes.gif ROTFLMAO.gif  Thanks for the translation!

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 PM

In the version posted on this page you can click on the "cc" button for English captions.

http://www.babble.com/pregnancy/two-men-get-a-glimpse-into-what-childbirth-feels-like-video/

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Thank you!! smile.gif

Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Poor guys. All of that pain, none of the gain.

As for the laughing gas it is one of the most common pain relievers during birth here in Sweden. I'm always surprised when I talk with Americans that they don't have it as a standard option. Sure, it is not as effective as some and sure it can leave you nauseous if you get too much, but I think for mothers who want to go through the process as naturally as possible it is a good alternative. Plus, the woman herself can decide when and how much and the effects clear very fast out of the system.

I also think the use of laughing gas might be tied to the fact that episiotomy rates are low here in Sweden. It isn't as easy a decision to cut a woman who can still feel it.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:46 AM

there is no pain relief used when cutting episiotomies here in the US...most women have epidurals, but the ones who don't and still receive episiotomies, have them done with no pain medication. i did and i have seen it done on other moms who were having natural births. for some reason, that decision is VERY easy for OB's here...it's sewing us up without numbing the area first that really hurts...when they "forget" we don't have epidurals. i watched that happen to my neice. the OB announced after she yelled "Ow" a few times, "Oh, I forgot you didn't have an epidural!" My neice was treated as if she were making trouble her whole labor bc she refused an epidural. some spots in the US have a loong way to go!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

User Tag List