Heavy bleeding/pph twice now..help?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-19-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ok so with my first birth it was augmented when I was 5 cm and not actively laboring. The mw's used AROM to get things going. AROM locked him into an asynclitic/nuchal arm position. Took 2 hours to push him out like that and he was 10 lbs 7 oz. After a few minutes the midwives drained the tub and asked me to push the placenta out, I pushed and there was an explosion of blood..all over the walls and everything. It was very...interesting. I don't recall if they used traction or not but I bled a lot. I had tachycardia afterwards with my heart rate around 200. Standing up/walking made it to where I could breathe but didn't feel like I was breathing/oxygenating. 

Second birth was textbook, baby came out in 5 min, 9 lbs 13 oz. The midwife seemed freaked out by the amount of blood/clots I was losing. She kept asking me to push for the placenta but instead clots kept pouring out. She almost manually removed the clots/placenta but I screamed at her not to so they used a lot of fundal pressure instead. I still bled a lot and suffered some tachycardia/breathing problems but not as bad as with my first.

So now I'm due with my 3rd in a couple months. My midwife seems to be worried about my history of bleeding/pph.

Part of me wants to just wait after the baby is born for the placenta to come on it's own, but apparently I start bleeding a lot before the placenta comes so I'm torn.

Any ideas or thoughts? I just want a relaxing time after baby is born, for once. ;/

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#2 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Could your midwife do active third stage management for you?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

Could your midwife do active third stage management for you?hat's wh

That's what she wants to do, but I'm not sure if that's what I want..that's why I need input from y'all, lol. Everything I read from a "natural" point of view says a physiological 3rd stage prevents heavy bleeding but medical stuff says active management does...

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#4 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It sounds like you've done physiologic third stage and it hasn't worked well. 

Here, the MidwifeThinking blog addresses active third stage management:

http://midwifethinking.com/2012/05/05/an-actively-managed-placental-birth-might-be-the-best-option-for-most-women/

All of the studies I've found supporting physiologic third stage are for women at low risk of PPH. If you've already had it happen twice, I feel like you're not in that low-risk category.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 5 Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

You're probably right, I just needed to hear it I suppose. Thanks for the link, reading now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page