Pre-birth "formulas" (5 or 6 week formula, etc) and length of gestation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-07-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember reading a lot of stories about women who took pre-birth formulas (like 5 week formulas) gestating longer than they did when they didn't take it.  Is this really common??  It seemed to be when I kept stumbling upon stories...  Is there a reason behind this?  I haven't ever taken anything like it (do specific individual preparations but not a specific formula) and have had awesome births but was considering ordering this one this time and happened to remember that I'd read a lot about this. (though I've also read similar stories about cod liver oil and EPO)

eta- also, having read the reviews on the MMH site (I love MMH products, btw), I do have to mention that my labors WITHOUT any pre-birth formulas have been very similar to a lot of the ones written about...I'm always VERY dilated and effaced once I start (5-6cm...actually VERY high overall Bishop scores), contractions are quite manageable, I labor quietly and in control, no bleeding during birth and then once placenta is out I have very minimal bleeding compared to many others, and I've loved each birth experience because they were so awesome.  So I'm not sure if a formula would even change anything for me?  However, I've never gone "on my own" (without castor oil...which has worked great and easily for me without complication, and is not up for discussion wink1.gif ) before 40+ weeks.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#2 of 2 Old 02-09-2013, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sounds like you don't really need a birth prep. I don't think I need one this time either. My last labor (2nd child, a VBAC, so first vaginal birth) was 2 hours. I took the birth prep and went into labor at 39 weeks, hours after doing rebozo sifting to get her better situated.  I take EPO and will do that again, but I wouldn't mind a slightly slower labor so it'll be easier on myself and my baby.

I'd never heard of it lengthening gestation. I don't believe at all that it makes you go into labor sooner than your body is ready, but I believe taking it can help to have "all systems go" so that when the right things kick in to start labor, labor will be efficient.

I used Dr. Christopher's 6 week birth prep. At most, I'd take it for a couple weeks but no longer, since I want to slow things down a little.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page