Personality in utero indicitive of being born "on time" vs "late" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I know this is sort of silly, but I really am curious! My first was a really laid back baby in utero - was really comfortable just hanging out, if you know what I mean.  He was almost a week late.  Now I am pregnant with my second, and it's like a firestorm in my belly.  She doesn't stop moving.  I feel like DS was comfortable and didn't *want* to leave, so he was late and this baby is rowdy, so she will want to be right "on time" or give me a surprise and even go a little early.

Anyone have any insight or stories to share? Was the personality of your baby in utero indicative of the timing of their "big debut"? Or was it opposite of what you thought? (Perhaps my expectations will effect the timing too?) Just for fun :)

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#2 of 18 Old 02-14-2013, 03:52 PM

My first was a crazy mover too, and arrived the day after his due date. #2 was laid back and came 8 days early haha

#3 of 18 Old 02-14-2013, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My one was very active and was two weeks late.
#4 of 18 Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 PM

My first two were very active. Baby 1 was 1 day late and baby 2 was 4 days late. I am pregnant with baby 3 who, so far seems more chill then my other two babies. Will be interesting to see how close to due date we are this time smile.gif
#5 of 18 Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Gah, well I was hoping to hear that she would be closer to due date! Lol! While I guess the only thing to do is wait and see!

#6 of 18 Old 02-16-2013, 08:30 AM

My midwife said that most women (provided their children have the same biological father and barring medical issues) tend to have all their babies at around the same gestational age.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#7 of 18 Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliabedelia View Post

My midwife said that most women (provided their children have the same biological father and barring medical issues) tend to have all their babies at around the same gestational age.

I hope this is true! I went into labour at 38 weeks with my first. Who wasn't extremely active, but wasn't laid back either. I also had an anterior placenta so maybe that cushioned a lot of the kicks!

This time I have a posterior placenta and a baby girl that seems to be about the same in terms of activity. I'm hoping to go into labor around the same time as I did with my first because my SIL is flying from Ontario to be my Doula as she was with my first. I can't imagine her not being there. Here's hoping!!

Mama to 1 handsome boy born Nov 29/2009 and 1 beautiful girl born May 21/2013 and wife to 1 handsome man, married since Jun 9/2007.

#8 of 18 Old 02-28-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Interesting!  I have a neighbor who had two premies, and a good friend who had two late babes, so hmmmm.

#9 of 18 Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:

I have to chime in and say my mother had three, one on time to the anticipated day, one two weeks late, and one three weeks early.  shrug.gif

I've only had the one.  She had preferences, even in utero.  I was working, and making case notes, I'd lean forward towards my screen and she would not stop kicking until I'd sit back in my chair again.  This happened every time.  It got the point where I'd talk to her, and tell her that Mama just needed to lean in for a minute to be certain her last note had all the information she needed in it.  She was born on her due date (after 24 hours of hard labor and sunny-side up for extra bone-grinding fun).  I was my mother's on time baby (born after 24 hours of labor and sunny side up as well).

We're thinking of not finding out the sex of our next, but I suspect if my due date comes and goes, it's a boy that'll be hatching. 

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#10 of 18 Old 03-04-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:

This is true in my family.  My aunt had 4, all came between 41 and 42 weeks.  Another Aunt had 3, all came between 39 and 40 weeks.  My grandmother had 8 - 6 came between 40 and 41 weeks, the first came at 35 weeks and the last at 43. (random!)

I'm on baby #2, I hit 40 weeks in just a few days and I'm *hoping* she comes out at 41 weeks like her brother did.  I know I can do one more week, but I'm not sure I can handle 2!

But I did talk to one woman recently who said all her boys came one week late and all her girls came within a day of their due date.

#11 of 18 Old 03-04-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

So interesting!! For my mom, I was on the late side and my brother was on the early side, but both of us within a week of her due dates. 

#12 of 18 Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 AM

This is something that's been on my  mind for ages!!  DD was born a week early, and her birth was fast and furious (especially for a first time birth).  It's like she just needed to get out NOW and barged out of my body!  It felt like a freight train just plowed through me!  She was also very alert from the very very beginning.  Even the midwife was surprised at her determination to be out of me!

Well now, 3 years later, I definietly see in her those traits; she is sweet and loving, but oh my!  Do not get in her way.  This kid knows what she wants, and will not budge one bit if you contradict her! 

#13 of 18 Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 PM

I love this thread. So interesting! My first, DD, was super active in-utero - kicking the the midwive's stethoscope and doppler all the way through contractions until she was in the birth canal and couldn't get leverage anymore :) She was 5 days past EDD but she's a fearless, determined girl to this day. Makes it clear when something/someone is bugging her. My second, DS, was also active, though less sever kicking and more yoga moves (loved to do frog-legs, which is not very comfortable). He got settled into birth position at 34 weeks, head at +1 station for the last 3 weeks, and was born 6 days past EDD. I'd always said while he was in-utero that he was a particular guy and seemed to know exactly what he wanted. He's that way to this day. I'm due in June with #3 and hoping that this one will keep up the same 5-6 days past EDD because my dear friend, who's a midwife, will be in town for the whole week after my EDD and I'm hoping she'll be able to be with us for the birth of this one. This one already seems more peaceful in nature. We'll see.

#14 of 18 Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:

My first was born at 40+6 (41+3 based on conception) and my second at 41+4.

DS is laid back and is never in a hurry. DD is only 2 weeks old but she is fiery and has no patience.
#15 of 18 Old 04-05-2013, 09:57 AM

DD seemed pretty content in utero, she was head down early and stayed there and while she kicked and hiccuped regularly, she was "well behaved", but she still came out at 38 weeks. She was SMGA (5lb4oz), so I think something happened at some point to slow/stop her growth and she probably came out early because of that!

With my twins this time, I have a boy & girl. DD2 is a little acrobat, even at 33 weeks, she is still flipping around positions pretty often and kicking me all the time. She's also first in line to come out, big surprise there smile.gif DS has been content to hang out on his side head down for awhile now, he hiccups occasionally and kicks/punches enough so I know he is doing fine, but he's even more laid back than DD1 in utero. We'll see what they two of them do, but I'm hoping they stay in until at least as long as their big sis!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#16 of 18 Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 PM

My first came at 35 weeks 2 days, and has done everything his own way, on his own terms, since the day he was born. A colicky, high needs baby that turned into a super spirited kid who never slows down or stops moving, even in his sleep.

His brother seems much calmer so I'm curious to see how the rest of this pregnancy will play out, and what his temperament will be like when he's born.

#1 Baby Boy born Jan 1 2009 at 35 weeks 2 days PPROM

#2 Baby Boy born April 22 2013 at 34 weeks 6 days PPROM

#17 of 18 Old 04-16-2013, 04:00 PM

I guess my babies were rather laid back, and every single one was late. The first two came around 41 weeks, and the last three came at or just after 42 weeks.
Quote:

I hope this is true! Maybe I'm weird, but I kind of like having my babies later than people expect. And I think it would be totally awesome to have this baby on Christmas Day (41W6D). I will totally change my mind about this around 38 weeks. wink1.gif

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
#18 of 18 Old 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM

This is funny to read..,I only have DD but she was a determined little thing from the time she started kicking. She turned head down pretty early at a diagonal and had her feet under the right side of my rib cage for weeks. She scratched at my cervix with her fingers (creepiest feeling ever) and would flex and push my ribs out. When labor started, she didn't appear to like contractions and would flex and push against them. She came 4 days early after 31 hours of posterior labor and 20 minutes of pushing! She and I were both done, I think smile.gif She's the most intense, focused, determined little person I've ever met.

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page