A Natural Hospital Birth? Please share ideas! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 63 Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzysgot5 View Post

Yes, yes, and yes. redface.gif   Eighteen years ago I gave natural birth to my large (8 lb. 9 oz. son) in the hospital for the first time after having a medicated awful hospital birth two years prior.  Before going to the hospital I read lots of books about natural childbirth and connected with moms who had experience with it.  I made a birth plan and gave a copy to my doctor as well as (and very important) took one with me to the hospital when I was in labor to give to the nurse for my chart.  Because the doctor may or may not be there while you are laboring you need the people who are there watching over you to be informed of your wishes via your birth plan.  Next, I stayed home with my labor coach as long as possible, maybe too long, and upon arriving he was born 45 minutes later.  My baby never, and I mean never, left my bed.  Everything that needed to be done was done in my bed with me there.  I did have to deal with staff that wasn't too happy about my assertiveness and wishes for MY CHILD.  I did my homework and I knew what I did and didn't want for my newborn.  I knew what was best for him, not the staff.   I think they think it's their baby, their property or something.  I had to get in my head before going to hospital that this was my baby and I was in control not strangers (as long as everything was going normal and our health was never in danger or anything like that).  They gave me a hard time about how I was making too much noise, oh well.  My labor support person was important for making sure to stand up for me if I got too involved to do it.  Everything worked out absolutely perfectly!  One nurse actually said to me, "Why aren't you at home giving birth, you are a natural." I would have if my husband was up for it, he was not.  

Then about 5 years later I gave birth again (12 years ago) to my daughter at a different hospital with a nurse midwife and that experience was even better.  The reason I say this is because my midwife was my advocate for having the birth I wanted and she made sure of it from start to finish.  The staff got scolded by her when she came in and they hadn't done what she instructed them to do over the phone.  Then again after she was born and they wouldn't give her to me, she yelled at them that I wanted my baby.  They want to whisk them away routinely, not out of necessity.  Ugh!  I hate that.  This birth was much much longer and included a false labor, that part was frustrating after the speedy birth I had prior.  Again, she never left my bed and all exams were done next to me.  They accommodated me quite well, more mom/baby rooming in friendly.  But, I was very determined to have it my way with my baby and I did.  I think that is the biggest lesson I can offer to any expectant mom, remember this is YOUR baby and you CAN have a birth your way (under normal circumstances).  If there were problems I would have reacted accordingly in the best interest of my baby.  

To end my story, I went on to have two more beautiful babies at home.  They were the best births I could have ever asked for and always dreamed of having a home birth.  Didn't realize I would get to do it twice, but I have zero regrets.

Happy birthing mamas. homebirth.jpg
#62 of 63 Old 04-13-2014, 11:45 PM

I am expecting for the first time. Any books you recommend i buy to have a natural birth.????
#63 of 63 Old 04-14-2014, 06:36 AM

I had a natural hospital birth with my daughter.  It was my first VBAC so I wanted to be in a hospital.  I believe having a supportive OBGYN and hospital staff helped tremendously along with a wonderful doula.  The entire labor from start to finish was about four hours.  It happened so fast.  I admit that by the time I got to 8cm dilated I broke down and asked for an epidural.  However, with encouragement from my doula and the hospital staff (including my doctor) I was able to deliver without any intervention.  It was great and I felt like I had a team of cheer leaders.  For me the support was very important.

mum4vr likes this.

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page