Breech Births - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My question is this; I was a breech birth in 1953; apgar scoring was just started in 1952; so do breech births have a lower apgar scoring?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 AM

I wouldn't think so... the APGAR score is performed after every birth for appearance, pulse, grimace, activity, respiration.. I guess different birthing choices could impact the score, but I don't think just because a baby is a breech birth or a c-section or under the influence of the epi. = a lower score :)

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There are a lot of factors involved in a breech delivery. It's possible that complications could contribute to a lower APGAR score.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 AM

"guess different birthing choices could impact the score, but I don't think just because a baby is a breech birth or a c-section or under the influence of the epi. = a lower score"

Actually, I thought the current Cochrane review shows better APGARs with an epi! 

With regard to breech, I understand that breeches have a higher likelihood of birth defect (which I assume may impact APGARs).  Additionally, my understanding is that APGARs tend to be lower in breech births since the umbilical cord emerges before the head is delivered.  Once the umbilical cord delivers blood flow to the baby can be impaired until delivery is complete.

I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.

User Tag List