mother friendly - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2013, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Seems like the baby friendly approach in the hospital makes mothers feel like a failure, doesn't respect their wishes, staff refuses to feed baby a bottle even if the are hungry and juandice is increased sometimes. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I do not undersand what you mean. Could you clarify?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

They might be implementing things wrong if that's the case. Strongly encouraging breastfeeding and supporting that has real medical (and other) benefits. To stay silent about it or say otherwise would be lying and honestly it has some level of harm to it what with digestive trouble, SIDS risks, allergies, so on and so forth from giving formula and not mother's milk. Personally putting down mothers for having trouble or deciding not to breastfeed on the other hand is heartless and wrong. At such a sensitive time and from people who have some authority like doctors and nurses, it's horrible when individuals say and do hurtful things.

I should hope they are first helping to get the babies breastfed if they are hungry. But surely they can still help set up alternate feeding of mom's pumped breastmilk, donor breastmilk, or formula if the baby is hungry and all the appropriate help isn't working? Bottles are a less than ideal choice for alternative feedings if you don't want to interfere with establishing breastfeeding, though they are typical and pretty effecient. And parents are being allowed to feed their own babies a bottle aren't they?

For most moms who want to breastfeed in the past few decades, the difficulty has been to keep the staff from giving their child bottles without permission. They've had to watch the babies 24/7 and label their beds and remind staff repeatedly. That's what those guidelines are trying to change.

About the jaundice: Establishing breastfeeding and the milk coming in usually fixes normal day 3-5 jaundice, you just have to get the baby eating and having bowel movements and they recover quickly most times, sometimes bili lights are a helpful boost though. The longer term low level jaundice some bf babies get is harmless and passes normally. Jaundice before day 2 is from genetic illnesses and has little to nothing to do with bf, it usually has to do with the liver failing and needs medical attention.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Also, there's a difference between the baby being totally STARVED and just a bit hungry. Sometimes it takes a few days to get breastfeeding well established, and if the baby cries for milk... well, that's what babies do.

My son had some trouble latching on the second day in the hospital. We were sitting there for hours trying to nurse. He cried, I cried, nurses tried different positions. I'm glad they let me tough it out instead of whisking the baby away. If they'd said, "Oh, he's not eating, you fail, we'll just feed him ourselves!" and taken him, THEN I would have felt like a failure.

As it was, we figured it out! He wasn't about to die or anything, waiting a few hours to eat. All they get is colostrum at that age anyway, so it's not like they need ounces and ounces of liquid poured down their throats at every opportunity.

I wonder what you're saying, Carolyn Hernande. You say that it "seems like the baby friendly approach in the hospital makes mothers feel like a failure". Seems like? Are you speaking from personal experience in a baby friendly hospital, or are you just musing?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is normal for your milk to not come in for 4 or more days after birth...the baby is not starving. No one should be giving bottles, the mom should just keep nursing to bring her milk in. If formula is truely needed for some reason, then it should be given with a syringe dropper to not get baby's latch messed up.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

User Tag List