when to go to birth centre when contractions are irregular from start to end? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-18-2013, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With my last birth, I had irregular contractions that never got really intense, just felt like strong cramps with no discernible pattern or timing in between. This was from the beginning of pre-labour until the pushing phase- some contractions had minutes in between all throughout. It was weird. I was almost 2 weeks "over due" and went in to be checked, found I was 4 cm dilated so they told me to go home get our stuff then come back to the birth centre. We ended up in the birth centre for about 18 hours from the time we arrived till my son was born! Too long and I wished I had stayed at home.

My sister had a very similar labour and birth at home and so did my mom so I'm thinking my next one has a good chance of being a similar experience.

This time I'd really like to go to the birth centre at the last possible minute- but how do I know when that is if contractions aren't regular or increasing in strength? I have no experience checking dilation and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing that. Is that the only other way to estimate just where I am in my labour progress? 

Any ideas???

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#2 of 4 Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How far are you from the birth center? Can you get checked out and then come home?

TheFeministBreeder has a great article on watching the belly as a measure of dilation, but you would need to subscribe to her site

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#3 of 4 Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beyond labor pattern and emotional signposts, there are a few other ways to estimate: http://wonderfullymadebelliesandbabies.blogspot.com/2011/07/dilation-how-to-check-without-checking.html. Beyond those (and I'm not sure I would rely on them to tell you when to leave for the birth center), dilation is the only other way I can think of to estimate where you are in labor. It's not difficult to do, especially on yourself, if you start checking now to get familiar with yourself. It's important to note, though, that IME, any of the methods to estimate or check dilation are not necessarily reliable indicators of how much more time you have before you start pushing. You can go from 6-complete in a very short time or it could take several hours.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#4 of 4 Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks- that link is really interesting. Especially the section about the purple line at the natal cleft! I guess I will likely try to feel my own dilation since that is the most reliable way- I kind of feel like I won't trust my own measurements since I haven't any experience though.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page