birth certificates, paperwork, UC/HB ~ question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-23-2004, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i won't be having a homebirth attended by a midwife (way too expensive, plus the only midwives that serve the area won't be available in July)... but... i may happen to not make it to the hospital.

if that becomes the case: what forms do i need to have to file a birth certificate and request a SSN?

do i need to have a witness or other adult present? i have no idea about the legalities regarding homebirth; my #1 was born in the hospital and they gave us all the paperwork there.

TIA
#2 of 5 Old 04-23-2004, 11:29 AM

I know the forms you need can both be requested at the offices......the SSN form can just be requested from your local SSN office........they actually usually have them just out in a stack at our local office.

The birth cert form *could* be trickier. From what I've seen it requires a professional's signature........I have a friend who did UC and then took her baby to the ped a few days later and he signed it........from what I understand it's more of an issue of having someone with a license of some sort say "Yes, this child exists". Anyways, the form for that is usually available at a county office......you might try county recorders office........here, the recorder handles all those things (births, deaths, marriages.). You could probably get it and see what your county requires on the form and go from there.
#3 of 5 Old 04-23-2004, 12:11 PM

I live in Los Angeles Co. and for home/non-hosp. births they ask that you supply:

Proof of prenatal care (if you had prenatal care with a licensed midwife/doctor)

A pediatrician's letter stating the baby's health after the birth.

We didn't have either of these (we had a direct-entry midwife present, and didn't see a doctor after the birth) so we have to supply 3 notarized letters from friends stating they knew me while I was pregnant and verifying my address.

They send the Public Health Investigator to our home, just to check things out, and then you get the birth cert. For ds, he received his SSN automatically. We are in the process of getting dd's BC now also.

I think it really depends on your local laws/regulations. We deal with the Department of Health / Vital Statistics office.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#4 of 5 Old 04-23-2004, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Beowmeow ~ what a hassle!

thank you guys for the info. very, very helpful! i'll have to look into what's needed.
#5 of 5 Old 04-23-2004, 10:05 PM

Contact your county recorders office. Here's the info I have on file for Alameda County:

Search terms:
office of vital statistics
county clerk or recorder
county recorders office

County Recorder's Office
1106 Madison Street, Oakland
510 272-6377

http://www.dhs.ca.gov/hisp/chs/OVR/L...g1.htm#Alameda
Alameda County Recorder
1106 Madison Street
Oakland, CA 94607
Web Site: www.co.alameda.ca.us
Email: vitalrec@co.alameda.ca.us
(510) 272-6362
California ID card or Driver's License for both parents.

Local Registrar of Births and Deaths
Anthony Iton, M.D., J.D., M.P.H.
Alameda County
Health Care Services Agency
1000 Broadway, Suite 500
Oakland, CA 94607
Office (510) 267-8070
FAX (510) 267-80

Health Officer
Anthony Iton, M.D., J.D., M.P.H.
1000 Broadway, 5th Floor
Oakland, CA 94607
Toiton@co.alemeda.ca.us
Office (510) 267-8070
FAX (510) 267-3212

(Info Found 4/11/2004)

http://www.tele-works.com/htbin/webw...da&perform=TXT

Birth Certificates
Citizens born in Alameda County can apply for a birth certificate through the Alameda County Clerk-Recorder. Applicants must provide the full name, date of birth, and location of the birth. The fee charged for each certified copy is set by the County of Alameda.

For more information or to apply for a birth certificate, stop by the Alameda County Clerk-Recorder's office, located at 1106 Madison Street, Room 101, Oakland, California between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. You may also
apply online for a birth certificate through the County's website at
www.www.co.alameda.ca.us. Or for more information, call them at 510-272-6377.

This info taken from City of Berkeley's website. I assume the same is required for all births in Alameda County:
Proof of residency (i.e., utility bill, phone bill, medical bill with the parent's name and address on it).
Diagnosis of pregnancy from the physician or midwife. (Diagnosis from midwife must be on official letterhead and a mock birth certificate from the midwife is also helpful.)
Notification of birth letter from the medical records department if the child was taken to a neighboring hospital after birth.
A Newborn Screening Form or PKU or GDF 10 or 6 or, if none, you may sign a refusal form at our office.
Other necessary information includes details of prenatal care and pregnancy history, details of the actual birth, information about parents employment and education, social security numbers, birth dates and places.

Basically, I'll need to fax the following info to the local county recorder/ registrar after the birth, asking if they'd like us to make an appointment to come in

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page