New to Portland, OR and need insurance recommendations that will cover homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello there,

My family and I are moving to Portland, OR in May so my husband can start his own law practice and I'm considering being a SAHM.  That said, we will need to pay for our own health insurance.  We would loved to have another baby in the near future so I want to choose an insurance company that would cover homebirth.

Anyone out there have independent insurance that covers homebirth in Portland, OR?  

Thanks so much!

#2 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody?
#3 of 13 Old 04-13-2013, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You could try posting this in the regional forum. 

Another option is to call midwives and ask what they recommend.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 13 Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! After all this time, I never realized there were regional forums. Thanks!!!
#5 of 13 Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 PM

I have United Healthcare Choice Plus and I got them to cover my home birth in network (in Portland).  They cover home birth with a CNM.  I just had to apply for a gap exception because there were no CNMs in network who provided homebirths.  My midwife ended up being fantastic, she was a CNM and an ND, and extremely experienced.  I know some Blue Cross plans cover an ND including for childbirth and there are a couple of NDs around Portland who do home births.  I don't know of any insurance plans that cover CPMs, though.  Let me know if you need any recommendations for providers.  I know several good ones.

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#6 of 13 Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Gypsymama2008, that is great to hear! I'm working with an insurance broker who has been really helpful. Think we are going to go with Lifewise as they seem fairly reasonable and cover more holistic medicine. My hope is that if we conceive (fingers crossed) that we'll find a midwife that can work with us. I had a similar experience as you with BCBS. They ended up pre-approving a homebirth with a CNM because they didn't have any in network. Insurance is so overwhelming when you don't have an employee saying "this is our insurance...sign here." smile.gif
#7 of 13 Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM

Good luck! I highly reccommend Vivante, as they offer CNM's and one in particular does both home birth AND hospital birth at OHSU. I've seen them and if it wasn't for the fact we had so many issues that needed hospital care- I would have done a homebirth! I've had 2 births at OHSU via their midwives and I'm expecting my 8th this July.

Again, I wish you the best of luck!!!!!

-Jyn, Blessed mom of Abbie ('99), Gracie ('00), AngelBaby ('01), Danny ('02), Jacob ('03), Eva Bella ('06), Angel-Baby2 ('07), Emmalia ('09), Justus John Mark ('11), Jude Ellias Due 7-16-13

#8 of 13 Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Jynuine, thanks for the recommendation! Congrats on baby #3! Please send some baby dust my way.
#9 of 13 Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 PM

I had all three of my babies in the Portland area. One thing to keep in mind is that if you can get insurance to cover a homebirth it will be with a CNM and almost all the midwives in Portland aren't CNM's. Just something to keep in mind. Cash for a midwife in that area runs $3k-$5k (includes prenatal, birth, and postpartum). Anyway, congrats on the move, Portland is awesome :)

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#10 of 13 Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 PM

I'm in Sheridan Oregon.  I have Regence and although they say they dont cover out of hospital midwives, they are covering at 60% ish after we meet our deductible.

ETA:  Our midwife is a LDM,CPM,CMA and everything's been pre-approved.

selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
#11 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Dogmom327, thank you so much for the insight. In NYC, the homebirth for my daughter was $10,000 but luckily most if it was covered by insurance. So $3-5k seems way more manageable!

This is a little off topic but we just arrived last night. We live near Alberta. Are there any cool online yahoo groups for parents in the area?

Thanks again!
#12 of 13 Old 05-04-2013, 08:18 PM

Not sure about Yahoo but you might check out Portland Green Parenting. It's a great place to connect with like minded parents as well as a great source for organic food and natural home stuff.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#13 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Dogmom327, thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page