Bilobate Placenta Information - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am in my 37th week currently & had an Ultrasound done Monday. My midwife told me Wednesday at my appt that I can't do a home birth as planned because I have a bilobate placenta. I have tried finding information about it online to see what the risks & likely or possible complications are & nothing seems to come up. However, apparently it's enough that Idaho State law won't allow my midwife to do a home birth, so she is transferring my care to an OB in Spokane Valley who she says is in tune & on the same page as I am in regards to natural birthing, etc...

If anyone knows any information or has any resources where I can find information, PLEASE!!! I just want to know what I am up against.

#2 of 5 Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Here is a picture of a bilobate placenta.  As you can see, the vessels enter the membranes first and then the placentae.  You can look up velamentous cord insertion to better understand the risks.  It sounds as though your midwife has a good back up doc and the hospital will be better able to monitor you during labor.  Hope all goes well!  I had an unknown succenturiate lobe with my last baby, which also has vessels running through the membranes.  We had no issues with the delivery. 

http://www.obgynclinics.net/gallery/Placenta_Miscellaneo_g61-Bilobate_placenta__p247.html

jash likes this.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#3 of 5 Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info! I now know what we are facing & it helps me understand why the change. I just got a random call from an old high school friend who still lives in the area & talk about providential, she happened to know & also went to the doc I am being referred to. She said he is amazing & I will really like him. I would however, still like to meet him before.

based on all the info out there, it seems like the most common recommendation is c-section, however, my midwife didn't mention anything like that, so I am not sure what to expect.

I feel better knowing what I could potentially be up against though.

Now I pray because I want my baby boy to be safe & my baby girl needs me & complications during labor will be a mess, especially since I am by myself when it comes to my babies. I can't afford for any complications, especially since I am currently on my own as their dad is not currently with us. Pray, pray, pray!!!

#4 of 5 Old 04-13-2013, 05:28 PM

A biolobed placenta does not necessarily have a velamentous insertion of the cord. In about 1/3 of cases, the cord inserts into the larger lobe, which definitely reduces the risks associated with this condition.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#5 of 5 Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to speak to a very good friend who is a nurse & get more info from her & she said the same thing, although, she also said if they can't tell where the insertion point is, it may be wise to consider a c-section. As of right now, I am trying to gather as much information as I can so I can make the very best possible decision for both my babies & myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page