What can I decline in the hospital? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I disagree with those that say the wheelchair / gown are no big deal.  I ended up in a conventional hospital (instead of a homebirth) when I went into labor at 33 weeks, and went into the hospital with nothing but a water bottle and wearing my favorite sweats.  It was important to me that I had control of the situation, that I walked up to the room and that I walked out of the room.  (NOTE - they would not budge on not letting me walk for an hour and until I'd peed, non negotiable.)  It was very important to me that I not wear a hospital gown.  (I took my pants off when the baby was coming and had no problem finding them afterwards - they weren't dirty.)  I also drank my water the whole time and did not get on the bed until the very end... which next time, by the way, I would not do - next time, I'd do the last pushing kneeling or such on the floor.  I took all the cushions off the couch and made a floor mat to labor on. :) We did not do eye ointment, hep B, or vit K.  I had my midwife with me, acting as doula, and would absolutely not do a hospital birth without a level headed advocate; she kept the staff from doing things before I'd had a chance to answer.. Our nurse was bemused by the whole thing, but everything went pretty smoothly with the staff. I was polite but firm as was my midwife/doula.  Do what is right for you!  

#32 of 32 Old 06-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had 2 vaginal births. I was never offered a wheel chair either time when I was leaving the hospital (though I would have appreciated it after my first birth as I had a zillion of stitches and walking hurt like hell) I did stay overnight at the hospital, didn't leave early after the births though so maybe that's why?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page