Pelvic Analysis Software For Avoiding Emergency C-Section - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was hoping to find a way of making my possible decision to do a c-section more evidence based on my personal body and not statistics, liabilities, and birth professionals polarized one way or the other by politics and ideologies. Right now, my intuition is that I should NOT try natural birth again.

So, I stumbled on an article which talking about the less discussed Risks of Vaginal Delivery.  

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/an-unspoken-risk-of-vaginal-birth/

Which led me to this "Birth simulator reduces chance of emergency C-sections" article:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228423.500-birth-simulator-reduces-chance-of-emergency-csections.html

I just have a sneaking suspicion that the very concept of this software is so full of pitfalls that the very discussion of this kind of screening will never get very far.  Just because most medical interventions are risky in childbirth most of the time does not mean science and medicine should be dismissed entirely in the prevention of the trauma that can arise from unplanned c-sections.  

Any data/insight is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 11:04 PM

Oh goodness! A software like that could end up so awful, you're right.  

I don't have any information to give about c-sections, but perhaps someone else will see your post. 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 PM

I think that sounds really awesome. The whole "your body won't grow a baby that you can't birth" thing is demonstrably not true for everyone, and this gives people more data about their personal bodies. The only downside I see to this is if a woman gets a score that indicates she probably won't do well birthing vaginally but still wants to try a vaginal birth, she'll be under more pressure not to even bother and just get the c-section. But at least she will have an idea of how likely she is to have a vaginal birth, particularly as/if the technology comes in to wider use and more data is collected. 

I don't know your background, but if you don't want to try a natural birth that is your right. There's no shame in it. You do what works for you and your family. 

Have you posted about this in the c-section forum? 

Tags
Cesarean And Vbac
User Tag List