Could birth have messed up my hips? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Before I got pregnant, I had some joint problems. Sometimes I'd need a cane, but not too often. During the pregnancy, the back and pelvic pain got to the point that I needed a cane full time during the second trimester and I started seeing a physical therapist (not that I could do much, being pregnant :P ).

After the birth, at first I had trouble standing or walking because I was just so weak. After I got past that, I noticed that my joint problems were acting up again- but I figured that was normal. But now it's 6 weeks later and I'm realizing that my joint problems are definitely worse than they used to be, and my hip pain is way worse. It used to be that the pain was centered in my left knee, now the worst pain is in my hips.

I have a referal to the physical therpaist again, I had to stop it after the birth, but I'm wondering if the birth could have messed up my hips/pelvis- and if so, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to find out what's wrong?

familybed1.gif homebirth.jpgnocirc.gifmalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif 

Proud Formula Feeder, I support how ALL parents feed their babies. Breast or bottle, formula or breastmilk, and any combination thereof.

Happily married since 4/30/2009  Our first was born 4/23/2013

#2 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think it could have. Have you been to a doctor to see what exactly is causing these issues? I agree with physical therapy but it sounds like there might be a disorder of some kind that needs to be addressed

#3 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't yet, the birth wasn't even 7 weeks ago and I don't have a primary care physician. I'll have to get one, I guess. A nurse I know has suggested I see a rheumatologist as well.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Proud Formula Feeder, I support how ALL parents feed their babies. Breast or bottle, formula or breastmilk, and any combination thereof.

#4 of 6 Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Definitely could be the birth. Something like this happened to one of my friends. Her pelvis rearranged itself in a suboptimal way after having a baby. She did physical therapy and they got her sorted out. 

#5 of 6 Old 06-11-2013, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was 6 months postpartum before my hips sorted themselves out.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#6 of 6 Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!

erigeron- Thank you for letting me know, I'm glad that PT helped your friend. I have a physical therapy appointment, but they didn't have any openings until July 9 :(. I'm going to get a primary care provider sorted out so hopefully I can find out what's wrong with my hips sooner.

Katie- oh, wow, 6 months must have been rough. Thank you for letting me know that, for you, they sorted themselves out, I was worried that I'd be like this forever!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page