Going from an out of hospital to in hospital birth... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A little background.

I had my first baby 17 years ago. I was induced because of size. It always bothered me that she didn't come when she was supposed to, but I didn't know enough (I was 19) to question my OB.

8 years later, I was pregnant again, and my husband brought up the idea of a midwife. His first son had been born via c-section, and he wasn't comfortable with that, and he had a friend whose wife had homebirths with their children. I found an amazing midwife who answered all my questions, helped me learn so very much, and I got to have a great birth (just a small tear from a nuchal hand - stinker!)

A year after that, I had my son with her apprentice (she was to be on vacation the whole month of my due date). He was big (my girls were a smidge over 9lbs, and he ended up at 11 1/2), and he was a true postdate baby (42w5d). His labor was easy, and for my peace of mind, we monitored him after my due date came and went. The only thing I even mildly would've changed is that I would've opted for a homebirth (for whatever reason, I chose birth center births - my midwives also did homebirth), because transition in a car is not the best ever. HA!

After that (about 4 and 4.5 years later), we had two miscarriages. One at 13 weeks, one at 16 weeks. I knew something was wrong with my body after that.

So, when I got pregnant again, I called a CNM at a local hospital. They tested me, and lo and behold, my progesterone was really low. She said that's common as you get older, and was an easy fix. So far, that's been my only intervention. I like her a lot. The hospital is touted as one of the most natural birth friendly hospitals around. She didn't flinch when I mentioned my son's stats, and her largest was even larger than him. She asked about various testing (quad screen, etc...), but understood why I didn't want it. Told me they would not give me a hard time over refusing the Hep B vax (and even said I could refuse the vit k [I won't], and just wipe the antibiotic ointment from baby's eyes, if I want).

I had initially thought, I would get to a "safe" point in my pregnancy, then change to a homebirth midwife. But #1, I like the midwife I'm with, and #2, I just feel like I need to have him in a hospital. Not sure why.

Has anyone made this sort of switch? Any GOOD hospital experiences? I only have the one, and it wasn't great.

#2 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, that ended up being A LOT of background. Whoops.

#3 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 07:57 PM

My second was an in hospital birth center and it was good. Same getting there issues, but the midwives had really set the tone for the place and natural normal birth was treated as normal.

Talk to other like minded mamas who have delivered there and see what they have to say.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#4 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 08:30 PM

I transferred to a hospital after my water broke, I dilated fully, and had contractions for over 24 hours (mostly because it was require by law).  DH and I had been terrified at the prospect of a hospital birth up until the time of transfer.  When we hopped (okay, crawled) into the truck to drive there I felt a huge sense of relief, I just knew it was the right thing to do.  It was the most welcoming and supportive environment I could have hoped for! 

I know that this isn't exactly what you meant by 'Going from an out of hospital to in hospital birth', but I would say to go with your gut.  Make sure that you can have the kind of birth there that you would like, and then do what feels most comfortable.  And one thing that I learned from that birth experience is that it is never too late to change your mind and do what feels right to you!  I was so uncomfortable with the care I received from my midwife at home that I don't think DS would have ever come out there. 

I am due in August and have decided to go with a nearby birth center this go around (so something in between for us)!  Good luck, Mama!  I hope you have the birth you envision!

#5 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Yes... will come back and tell more when baby isn't grumpy.

#6 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 AM

So, yes, my last birth with #6 we decided on a planned hospital birth. My midwife was no longer doing births and I liked the ob I had seen after my miscarriage, so we decided to start prenatal care with her and see how things went. Dh and I talked out several different options for the birth and we just kept coming back to staying under her care. Not sure if it was intuition or what, but I felt toward the end that I just really needed to be at the hospital and toward the end baby's movement was getting sluggish and she failed a bpp/nst one day before 41 weeks (I have long cycles and long pregnancies, so I wasn't uncomfortable going over 40) and we ended up going up to be induced on pit and everything worked out really great. Awesome nurses and since labor didn't kick in until the next morning I got the CNM on call (who turned out to be a long time friend of my midwife who was there acting as my doula) since I had requested no male care providers if possible and the ob coming on the morning was a man. I didn't get to use the tub as much as I wanted since I was all hooked up but they got me the TENS unit and the ball and I birthed exactly in the position I wanted and baby was handed right to me and we nursed for like three hours before we weighed her and then moved over to the postpartum room.

My previous births were homebirth, non-emergent transport, transfer of care for induction (arom) and NICU, homebirth, and homebirth.

HTH

Oh, the hep b and vit k and eye goop were no problem at all. I had it written into my birth plan and we just signed a waiver. On the hep b I did have our family doctor write a note stating that we requested no vaxxes and if we had any questions about them we would take that up with him at our nb check-ups, but no one bothered us about it at all so I never had to pull that out.

#7 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 PM

If you have the feeling you should be in the hospital, I would follow your instinct. 

I didn't have a great hospital birth and would definitely plan a home birth for next time, but I also feel like having one birth under my belt I would be much more confident and assertive if I did end up in the hospital. If you feel like you will need more support and advocacy that your partner can provide, then get a doula. But since you have already had unmedicated births, you know what to expect and it'll be harder for the hospital staff to scare you into doing things you don't want or need. Trust yourself, and I'm sure you can have a lovely hospital birth - and it sounds like you're seeing a great midwife. 

#8 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. Your stories are good ones.

The only thing I've found that I liked better about my previous midwives (through moves, etc... I have had 3 different CPMs for 4 pregnancies), is that I got a lot more time with them, and our visits usually ended in a hug. The CNM I'm seeing is sort of in between. She's very sweet, but she doesn't spend a terrible amount of time just chatting. The only complaint I've ever heard about her was that she was too laid back, but I'm okay with that. I even went and stalked some of her posts on a local mom's forum from a few years ago, and recall her stating that she defied doctors orders to "pit to distress" back in her L&D nurse days.

I'm okay with the docs in the practice, too. At least the ones I've seen. The only issue I had with one (she is young and new) is that she told me I needed to get my flu shot, but never brought it up later (I was also seeing her for some HPV related stuff - Had to have a colposcopy, etc...) any other time. The other doctor I saw (midwife was at a birth) never said a thing about me measuring ahead. He only let me know that, since this is #4, it would be better for me to call them when contractions are around 10 min apart, rather than 5 with a first birth. I probably would anyway, because each of my births has been significantly quicker than the last (13 hours/8 hours/2.5 hours). Of course, if he came at home, I wouldn't panic anyway.

#9 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 01:55 PM

Yeah, that is one thing I did not like about ob care. The nurses did most of the stuff at my visits and then the dr came in for like 5 or 10 minutes. My appts with my midwife were always at least 30 minutes and very relaxed.

#10 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I have a hitch in my plans. Well, my comfort level, anyway.

My midwife is leaving her practice... NEXT WEEK. My EDD is July 7. :( :( :(

The good news is that I like the other midwife in the practice. The bad news is that I've only had two visits with her. I went ahead and cancelled my appointment with my primary, and changed it to the other midwife. I need to get in as much face time as possible.

I asked my husband how he felt about having an unassisted homebirth, and I was only half kidding. I would love a homebirth, but we just don't have the funds (as much as it would be worth it) to change to a homebirth midwife (and I know a spectacular one in my area). I am confident in my ability, but I know that I would be too nervous about the what-ifs if I went unassisted. I know that the outcome would most likely be perfect. But what if I missed something? I'm not a trained midwife or doc. Anyway. I'm gonna roll with the changes, but I don't have to like it. HA!

#11 of 11 Old 06-29-2013, 09:25 PM

I have had two babies at stand alone birth centers.  Both extremely wonderful experiences.  We no longer live in the same state as my first birth center.  The second had their insurance girl leave.  She was awesome and could get your birth covered.  With her gone, I would be required to put up the fight or face the $4500 bill.  This is my third baby and I don't have the timidness that I had before, for what I need.  I also have felt the urge to use the hospital.  So, I found an OB that is freaking awesome.  The hospital I'm using is very natural friendly, as is my OB.  

I'm not due until September, so I can't give you my experience through birth.  I wanted you to know you aren't alone!  smile.gif  I know many who have had successful hospital experiences.  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page