Mothering Forum banner

Opting out of Newborn Testing

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  gardenmommy 
#1 ·
Hello! I'd like to know what tests you opted out for and why? I'm currently on the fence with a lot of them... which is really annoying because I was completely fine to saying "no" to pretty much everything until I got scolded talked into saying I'll decide at the time by my hospital MW.
irked.gif

I know I'm def. declining the HIB no amount of coersion can fix that. But VIt. K, I really don't want to and, of course, they don't offer oral because it's "not as effective." H is not sure after reading the lit. that she gave him vs. the things that I have been researching. Same with eye ointment and PKU testing.

My original plan was to opt out of PKU and do the test at LO's first DR appointment since I read it's not as accurate right at birth vs after a few days of feeding. Plus I think there is a HUGE difference in a heel prick a week later vs. when newborns are still like "wtf, where am I?"

I'd love to hear about your experience and suggestions.

Also, are those the only tests? I'm in ohio and those are the only ones that I've really heard about... but when I said i was opting out of PKU to my MW she said "why not? They are taking blood tests anyways."

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you mean HIV testing? I think you have to do that if you haven't been tested. As far as the PKU, as long as you get it within the 1st 4 days your baby should be fine. We don't do the eye ointment, but I had to get tested for gonorrhea (or chlamydia? I can't remember) to get out of it. We did do vitamin K. My dad is a hematologist and strongly recommends it. I trust his advice, since he's spent the last 30 years researching blood clotting! For what it's worth, he also strongly supports delayed cord clamping..

#3 ·
We opted out of vitamin K based on the research we did, the possible link to leukemia, the fact that " all " babies are born with low levels of vitamin K, the risk of hemorrhage and the " proof" that vitamin k can prevent the brain hemorrhage ... Plus the high dose given etc all together we decided not to. PKU we denied the first one based on the high percentage of error. We did only the second one a few days later. I nurse while they did it, made sure they warned up the heel, baby didn't notice. We opted out of Hep B because there is no exposure in the home and because of course a baby will not be sharing needles nor having sex right now so it is kind of ridiculous.
smile.gif

#4 ·
We do all the state standard heels stick tests. We did an early is charge with Bee so our doc did them at her two day apt while I nursed. The assistant midwife will do them at the next day check up with this. I just know of too many little ones who were helped by knowing to consider skipping them.

We will do vit K, but not the eye ointment or hep B now since she is not at risk

#6 ·
Oh and for our boy we definitely opted out if routine infant circumcision and left him whole. Based on the fact of no medical benefit and instead the risks commonly associated with any surgery. Let alone the cruelty and pain factor and the deceased amount if sensitivity later in life.

#7 ·
I'm planning my 5th homebirth. With all my HB babies, I've had the routine NB screening blood work done. It is a simple heel stick that my MW does at about 48 hours post-birth, after the baby has had a little while to feed. We skip the eye ointment and vit. K (although, if I was going to circ a boy, I would probably get that), and all vaxes. I don't think a heel stick is particularly traumatic to the baby, esp. if you nurse through it. IMO, it is worth the peace of mind, esp. since we decline pretty much everything else.

#8 ·
OP--in response to your midwife's statement that "they are taking blood tests anyways"...she may have been referring to a bilirubin test. Many hospitals/physicians/midwives check baby's bilirubin level at the same time that they do the newborn screening.

Also, the only other routine screening test that I am aware of in the first few days of life is a hearing test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.