What hurts more than childbirth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 07-18-2013, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

the uterine "massage" i received after childbirth to get my sticky placenta out.  it was awful

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

#32 of 57 Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 PM

Death of my loved one.

#33 of 57 Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had 2 natural child births. With my first, I bled heavily and my placenta didn't detach. So my midwife removed it manually without warning or numbing me. That hurt way worse than the contractions and pushing.
applejuice likes this.
#34 of 57 Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortC View Post

I have had 2 natural child births. With my first, I bled heavily and my placenta didn't detach. So my midwife removed it manually without warning or numbing me. That hurt way worse than the contractions and pushing.

Oh my god, that is awful! I am so sorry you went through that. greensad.gif After my second daughter was born, I had to have my placenta manually removed in the ER. I had the NICEST doctors ever, they were so sweet and so sorry to hurt me, and they gave me morphine and kept asking if I wanted more because they didn't want me to feel it, but it was still absolutely awful. I remember feeling her hand scraping the top of my uterus and involuntarily trying to push her hand back out. It took a whole bunch of tries. I can't imagine how much worse it would have felt without warning or morphine.
applejuice and CortC like this.
#35 of 57 Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 PM

First birth was easy - it was long, slow and steady and very manageable. I didn't even know I was going through transition. Second Birth was something else. I was induced and went from 5cm dialated to baby being out in less than 15 mins. However, worse than labour pain was the headache I got from sunstroke once, and gallbladder pain when I was in Latin America. I think those were worse. I still would give birth again any day, my experiences haven't made me fear it. I feel so sad when i meet people or hear of people that are absolutely terrified of it before they've ever had the chance to experience it.

#36 of 57 Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 AM

I would take childbirth over when I broke my toe any day.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#37 of 57 Old 07-19-2013, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had a broken finger a year ago, and it really wasn't nearly as painful as I would have expected. Childbirth was worse. It throbbed some that night, but not enough to keep me from sleeping, and I think I took a few advil for it over the next few days in order to get through work with a broken right middle finger. But it doesn't really register very high on my list on painful things. Maybe a 5/10.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#38 of 57 Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 PM

Thank you for your empathy. Needless to say, I used a different midwife with my second and had a much better experience.

I am so sorry you had to go through the pain of losing your baby. I can't even begin to imagine the pain. Thank you for sharing. It was very brave of you and touched me deeply.
#39 of 57 Old 07-19-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

If you've experienced both the pain of childbirth and something that hurt worse, tell us about it!

For me, the pain of a bad gall bladder was worse than childbirth. I can't think of anything else that hurt more.

Ear infections.  I've had outer ear infections three times and the pain was worse than natural childbirth.  Lasts longer, too.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#40 of 57 Old 07-19-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

<3 to all the moms who have lost babies! Luckily, I've only suffered great physical pain - no emotional pain to anywhere near that level.
#41 of 57 Old 07-19-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

As for physical pain, I agree that some migraines are more painful than childbirth, to the PP who said that. And I had food poisoning once that was at least equivalent, pain-wise.
#42 of 57 Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafina33 View Post

Ear infections.  I've had outer ear infections three times and the pain was worse than natural childbirth.  Lasts longer, too.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I've only really had one ear infection in my life, but it progressed from "Oh, my ear hurts a little, that's odd" to spontaneous eardrum rupture in under 12 hours. HORRIBLE pain. I had whole new sympathy for little kids who get ear infections all the time after that.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#43 of 57 Old 07-20-2013, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Posting without reading to see if anyone else has shared this but I burned my retinas once (snow blindness) and that hurt worse than childbirth. Way more painful, way more scary, and no perks whatsoever. ;-) 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#44 of 57 Old 07-20-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Posting without reading to see if anyone else has shared this but I burned my retinas once (snow blindness) and that hurt worse than childbirth. Way more painful, way more scary, and no perks whatsoever. ;-) 

Yikes!!! I didn't even know that could happen!

I threw my back out a couple times really bad, the last time just a few weeks ago and I am pregnant. AWFUL. I had bad back labor with my first and it was easier than the pain I was experiencing.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#45 of 57 Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

I would take childbirth over when I broke my toe any day.

truedat.gif

#46 of 57 Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Idk, I was in transition for an hour, that was pretty stinkin painful!!!

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#47 of 57 Old 07-21-2013, 07:16 PM

I had food poisoning once that was worse. The intestinal cramps were outrageous, and it was made worse because you don't know when it will end! At least with labor theres an end in sight, and something to look forward to.

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#48 of 57 Old 07-25-2013, 05:11 PM

Losing my son, of course, was the first thing that came to mind. 

The thing that has hurt the worse in my life was having an internal/external version during the delivery of baby B. That was the most excruciating physical pain I have ever endured. Thank god it was fast. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#49 of 57 Old 08-02-2013, 07:38 AM

This is going to really piss off some people, but even my mom who gave birth completely drug free, agrees:

When you bend an acrylic finger nail really, really hard, bordering on tearing off the nail underneath.  It throbs for a looooong time and hurts for a few days after that.  And yet, my stupid a$$ would go back for more acrylics.  It's much more painful than tearing the actual nail, I'm guessing partly because of the weight of the acrylic as the blood flows to the injured area.

That is the worst pain I have felt; no surgery, infection, or injury has come close.

ETA: There mere thought of great harm coming to my son is so terrifying and painful that I have broken down dizzy, shuddering, and sobbing a few time times just edging an intrustive thought, reading bad news that has happened to other children,or seeing him almost have an accident. Emotional anguish is definitely incomparable to physical pain in most ways.  I initially thought it was hormones to feel this afraid, but much to my shock the fear has only increased as he has gotten older.  

Human beings have an amazing capacity to heal, and thank goodness we do because our families and other children need us to.

I wanted to add that I was sexually assaulted at 15 years old.  This physical pain, humiliation, terror, and continued suffering is beyond really intellectualizing, but still is nothing compared to the fear of harm coming to my son. 

#50 of 57 Old 08-02-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclamen View Post

Honestly, giving birth and then having my baby be really sick and die, and not being able to do anything about it. That hurt worse than giving birth.

I'm just crying, and so sorry for your baby.

#51 of 57 Old 08-02-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demeter888 View Post

I'm just crying, and so sorry for your baby.

Thank you. 

#52 of 57 Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 AM

I have had 2 C-sections so from that perspective, the worst physical pain I have ever endured was for a surgery. It was worse than 2 C-section recoveries. I had a breast mass (benign) removed a few years ago. They had to "mark" the mass first before the surgery. The morning of, I had to report to the radiology department before pre-op to get this done. They brought me into a room and set me up in a mammography machine. They visualized the mass then stuck a quite wide needle into the side of my boob all the way through to where the mass was located (just my luck, in the middle), and then inserted it into the mass. I have a high tolerance for pain, but this was no joke. I had no anesthesia, no numbing medicine... nothing. I was crying it hurt so bad... I never do that. To make matters worse, I was hungry/thirsty because I had to be NPO after midnight and was nervous about the status of the mass, etc. So with that situation and the pain, I passed out while sitting up in the mammography machine. Such a weird experience. It took 3 people to remove me from the machine... so I'm told. It hurt so fucking bad. That sucked. The mental anguish between surgery day and the day I got my results wasn't pleasant either. Oh, and I got my results on Christmas Eve 2008. Thepathology results were my Christmas present that year.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#53 of 57 Old 08-04-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I haven't really experienced much pain aside from childbirth. Never broken a bone, never had a migraine, haven't had surgery since I was a kid (and I don't remember that hurting, I thought the whole thing was wonderfully exciting!) I had pelvic girdle pain when pregnant with DD, which was horrible, and I've had the odd agonising muscle cramp and bad sunburn and so on, and one nasty time at the dentist... but compared to childbirth? Not even close.

Except... after DD was born, my cervix clamped down over the placenta and it got stuck. I had to have a doctor remove it with forceps. My midwife told me in no uncertain terms to suck HARD on the gas, and I did - with the strange result that I could observe in a detached, uncaring way that this was the most horrific pain I'd ever felt. It was weird. It wasn't too bad because of the gas, but if I hadn't had it it would have been excruciating. And being at the end of a traumatic labour, when I'd hoped the horrible pain had finally ceased, didn't help psychologically either.

And to all the mothers here who've lost babies, I'm so sorry. The fact that you can keep going with life shows so much strength. grouphug.gif

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#54 of 57 Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 AM

Firstly, I want to extend my sympathy to all the mamas who have emotional scars (losing babies in pregnancy or after birth; sexual abuse, emotional abuse, physical abuse, and any others who I have either missed or who did not feel comfortable sharing their personal story). I can only imagine what you have gone through and are going through, and emotional scars can be the most painful and longest lasting of any pain. Hugs to all of you!

Since this is my first (due in November), I asked around to my friends & family who have already given birth for their opinions. Here are a few:

• My mother: Calcified disc in her back & the surgery to repair it. The continued nerve damage from the back problems.
  • My sister in law: The Pitocin shot after her birth to make the bleeding stop (especially since she really wasn't bleeding excessively anyway). The multiple injections of Lidocaine all around her toenails when she had ingrown nails that had to be cut out.
  • My cousin: The physical & emotional pain of the healing from her "emergency" Cesarean section that turned out to not actually be an emergency. The 6+ months of pain from the incision following the surgery plus the PTSD from how terribly she was treated at the hospital make insignificant the few days of mild pain from her tears followed by a couple weeks of achiness after her natural vaginal birth. Also, the cervical checks they did in the hospital for the first child (she lost count of how many they did but sometimes were as often as every 10-15 minutes) were far more excruciating than any of the contractions, excluding the Pitocin-induced ones that she said nothing compares to.
  • My husband's aunt: Broken clavicle was way, way worse than both her births (she had 2 C-sections, 1 emergent and 1 just because she'd already had a prior C-section). She did have a short period of contractions and early active labor with the first before they found out he was in trouble.
applejuice likes this.
#55 of 57 Old 08-05-2013, 02:45 PM

MOHS procedure on my nose to remove a deep basal skin cancer.  8 hours while awake of 40 lidocaine injections and digging out of nasal skin tissue with a sharp scooping device.  followed by 23 stitches to repair the damage.  ugly, not fun.

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

#56 of 57 Old 08-09-2013, 09:07 AM

I had a bad stomach virus that hurt my upper abdomen badly enough I thought it was my gallbladder, and it came really close, but so far nothing has surpassed the pain of birth for me. Each one was more painful than the last. After #4, if I were to get pregnant again I would seriously consider a c-section to avoid the pain. I have broken bones and broken teeth and had oral surgery without being knocked out.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#57 of 57 Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 AM

Erinmattsmom- why didn't they give some kind of pain relief for that procedure?! That is terrifying :(

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Tags
Birth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page