Does anyone else find that breastfeeding makes it HARDER to lose weight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-22-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hear so much that breastfeeding just melts the pounds away. I really don't find this to be the case, as I have been stuck at 15 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight for a few weeks now, despite a healthy diet and regular exercise. I have hypothyroidism, but it is well-managed with my medication, and monitored regularly by my endocrinologist.

I am starting to feel really lousy about my belly, and about having to buy a whole new wardrobe in a larger size, when I really don't have the money as a stay at home mom. My little one is two months old. 

#2 of 6 Old 07-22-2013, 08:28 AM

Hi, congrats firstly :)  But your little one is only 2 months old, you need to give it some time.  Wear some of your clothes that you wore when you first started to need them during pregnancy.  Breastfeeding does help, but it's still early momma. 

I think a lot of moms aren't clear to work on abs until after 6wk check up.  It can take time to get that core back where it used to be, despite bf.  Pilates is a great core exercise if you try it.  Make sure you have no ab separation though before doing anything involving your core.  If you did, I think you have to wrap a towel or band around to help the muscles and prevent more strain.

#3 of 6 Old 07-30-2013, 04:40 PM

I didn't lose the last of my baby weight until a year after I weaned my second child.  But I am a very small person to start out with.  I didn't think I was ever going to lose that last 10 pounds, but a year after weaning, I'm down to pre-kids weight.  I actually feel weird about it.  I think that some women keep weight on as milk insurance.  You need that extra fat to make milk.

#4 of 6 Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 PM

But also, yes, as hippy mum said, it takes time.  I had an "in between" wardrobe that I wore for a while.

#5 of 6 Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I stayed at 10lb over my pre-pregnancy weight until DS was around 15 months old and started to taper off more with nursing. Now he's 24 months and I'm down to 5lb over while he's nursing more and more sporadically. I definitely think BFing has kept some extra meat on my bones (mostly hip bones!).

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#6 of 6 Old 07-30-2013, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

My weight always came off by several pounds at a time then stood still a few months then more, etc. But with this 3rd one we went low carb and gluten free when he was 4 months old and it all came off and then some in a month, startlingly quickly really.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page