How to make the best of an induction? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-25-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my first pregnancy. I'll be 41w tomorrow. My OB has scheduled me for an induction when I'm 41w2d, which I am fine with. At last check, 40w2d, I was 0cm dilated, and have had no contx or anything since. Have tried to no avail as much walking as possible in 95 deg heat, nipple stimulation and sex to help things along.

What did you and your care team do to make an induction as pleasant and positive as possible?
#2 of 12 Old 08-26-2013, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am considering an elective induction for this pregnancy so I have been researching this.  If I end up having an epidural, I'm thinking about using the peanut ball http://betterbirthdoula.org/peanut-ball-and-epidurals-tips-for-doulas/  Also, here are some labor positions that work on the cefm http://www.icanofatlanta.com/?page_id=159

Here is an older thread with some positive stories

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1328554/positive-induction-stories

and one at bbc http://community.babycenter.com/post/a34021318/positive_induction_stories

Do you have a labor support partner who will be with you?

If you know the baby is head down and on your left side, you could try doing squatting to help bring him or her down.   You might still go into labor before then though!   Either way I hope things go smoothly for you!

#3 of 12 Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

I had a good chat w my OB (who I suspect is crunchier than I am) and my doula today. Dr was vg at explaining the process, and doula (definitely commited to natural childbirth) said don't be afraid of epidural in this case. I also found some videos of positions to try that aren't on my back. DH is being v supportive, too, so despite annoyance that it is what it is, I'm feeling quite calm.
#4 of 12 Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 PM

Glad to hear you are feeling calm and peaceful!  I've heard that the pitocin can be titrated so it's more gentle, and the epidural can also be turned up or down depending on what your needs are. 

I've also found that making plans to help cozy up my birth environment is soothing.  So, music, my own blanket and pillow, aromatherapy if you like that and are allowed.   A hot pot and my favorite tea.  Books and magazines.  That kind of thing.   What are your plans for the big day?

#5 of 12 Old 08-27-2013, 08:30 AM

If you know the baby is head down and on your left side, you could try doing squatting to help bring him or her down.

Right 65pFOd
#6 of 12 Old 08-27-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

I'm bringing 2 pillows from home, tea for the morning before pitocin, some trashy books to read, snacks to keep DH's blood sugar up and cheery, several chapstick, and sea salt caramel brownies and some farmers market peaches to butter up the hospital staff.
applejuice likes this.
#7 of 12 Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 PM

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes!  The brownies sound so yum :)

#8 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Not going well! Very bored!

Day 1: cervidil over night, dilation to finger tip. Slowly ramped up to max Pitocin which created regular, mildly discomfortable contx. Dilation at end of day, 1cm. Unhooked from machinery and allowed real food and walked in circles for hr and half. Annoying contx, but never escalated.

Day 2: cytotec overnight which caused a lil more dilation, 50% effacement, and crampy night. Building up to full pitocin. crampier, reg contx but not painful. No change at last exam.
Plan for day 3: cytotec again overnight. AROM in morning.
applejuice likes this.
#9 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 PM

Ooh, that sucks!  I hope that tonight is the night for you!

#10 of 12 Old 08-30-2013, 01:01 PM

dp

#11 of 12 Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

My induction did not go as planned, but the end result was well worth it. I think what made it such an ok experience were several things...

1. DH was there w me the whole time. He was very good at asking Drs sensible questions.

2. Doula (w years of L & D nurse experience) was able to explain things again and again.

3. My dr (family care) was very supportive and was very keen on exhausting all options. OB, despite the one who did csection in the end) happened to be the one skilled in breech deliveries, forceps, manipulating baby's position.

4. Kind nurses.
#12 of 12 Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 PM

:Hug  I'm sorry things did not go as planned, but it sounds like you are feeling ok about how things went.  I'm glad that you had lots of support.  Birth is such a wild card sometimes.  How are you and the baby recovering?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page