Any stubborn placentas out there? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-28-2004, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question that I could really use some help with- hoping someone out there has some information, or some experience with this and can give me some insight. I have a 7 month old daughter, and after her birth my placenta did not deliver on it's own. My midwife waited an hour, we tried everything we could think of to no avail- she finally called in the doctor and he manually delivered it. My question is what causes this, and how rare is it? Should I worry about my next pregnancy following the same pattern? BTW, my labor was pitocin induced at 42 weeks ( baby was stubborn too - LOL) but I did have a no meds labor, and placenta was intact. Any advice/experience/info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

JAMIE

Loving wife. Mama to five crazy kids. Follower of Jesus. Doula & Childbirth Educator.

#2 of 8 Old 04-28-2004, 02:54 AM

wow, it's amazing that a hospital-based midwife waited as long as she did! I recently had a homebirth where we waited for three hours for the placenta. As long as there is no bleeding, it's fine to wait awhile.

I would say that more than likely it's due to the pitocin induction rather than your body. When we are induced with Pitocin, it seems that our receptor sites for oxytocin are filled and natural oxytocin is hard to come by. Therefore, even with more Pitocin after the birth, our uterus may not "get the message" to continue contracting to release the placenta.

There are quite a few things I try, from nipple stim from baby, to getting up and sitting on the toilet, herbs, etc.

I don't think that your body necessarily failed at giving birth or birthing the placenta. Obviously, your body had a timetable figured out and it didn't correspond with what was set up for you.
#3 of 8 Old 04-28-2004, 03:27 AM

i had a completely natural homebirth where the placenta didn't deliver naturally. sounds different situation though as mine was attched to the wall of the uterus and my midwife had to remove it manually, as quickly as possible because I was losing a lot of blood. i asked her after it waslikely to happen again and she said it was completely unknown but she didn't think the risk was any higher than usual. i would have a homebirth again but would make sure my midwives knew my history and felt comfortable dealing with that.
#4 of 8 Old 04-29-2004, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, you guys, for the info! I assumed the problem was due to pitocin, but wasn't sure....glad someone else thinks so, too.Hopefully next time around I won't have to do the pitocin thing, and everything will happen normally Thanks again for your thoughts, advice, etc. God bless!

JAMIE

Loving wife. Mama to five crazy kids. Follower of Jesus. Doula & Childbirth Educator.

#5 of 8 Old 04-29-2004, 07:07 PM

Moving this to Birth and Beyond!
#6 of 8 Old 04-29-2004, 08:35 PM

With my last 2 I had problems delivering placenta. Contractions were painful but weak. With my 4th I tried nursing him, nipple stim. being upright and artificial injection and an ambulance was sent to my HOME BIRTH to take me to hospital for a retained placenta. I was soooo scared but after calling the ambulance and after gentle tugging and manipulating my belly it was delivered. It really put me off having any more. I wish I had had a milk bottle as if you blow into it (glass one) it is supposed to help deliver it!! Midwife said after more than one child you can have scarring on womb and future pregnancy placentas may attach to same site and make it harder to detach after birth.
#7 of 8 Old 04-30-2004, 01:04 PM

With my second birth my placenta didn't come out until an hour and 15 minutes after birth. My contractions were weak, well actually as far as I could tell they had stopped, and the midwife was starting to get nervous. But I felt great, so we waited, per my request. It turned out that there was just not enough pushing force from my uterus to get it out while I was reclining back in bed with my baby. All it took was for me to get up and squat, and voila! Placenta appeared a minute or two later. Third birth I didn't even think twice about what I needed to do -- about half an hour after the birth I got into a squat, bore down a little, and it plopped right out. (First birth had heavily managed 2nd and 3rd stages, with castor oil augmentation, so in my opinion it doesn't even count as far as trying to determine what is normal in birth.)
#8 of 8 Old 04-30-2004, 02:26 PM

With my first birth (tons of drugs) I just couldn't get the placenta out. I ended up with a D&C with lots of bleeding and a tough recover.

I was very nervous for me second birth mostly because of the placenta. I was delivering at a birth center and did not was to be transported to the hospital.

The midwives had me visulaize the placenta delivering thoughout my pregnancy. My Bradley instructor showed me videos of placentas being birthed.

After my beautiful ds was born the placenta did not want to come. I tried nipple stimulation, visualization and squating.

After I panicked, my midwife used homeopothy. She put a pillule (?) under my tounge. Within 5 minutes my boday almost folded in half with a strong contration and out it popped!

I don't know exactly what she gave me, but I could try to email her if you are interested.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page