Delayed Cord Clamping - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did you choose delayed cord clapming for one or more of your births?
Yes 12 66.67%
No 0 0%
I did but it was still clamped early. 4 22.22%
I am planning to delay cord clamping when I deliver. 2 11.11%
This is the first time I've heard of delayed cord clamping. 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

I was listening to a Grand Rounds presentation of delayed cord clampoing (video here if anyone is interested) and the doctor presented a quote from Erasmus Darwin:

Quote:
 “Another thing very injurious to the child, is the tying and cutting of the navel string too soon; which should always be left till the child has not only repeatedly breathed but till all pulsation in the cord ceases. As otherwise the child is much weaker than it ought to be, a portion of the blood being left in the placenta, which ought to have been in the child.” ~ Erasmus Darwin, Zoonomia, 1801

213 years ago! The British Medical Journal has a nice article about him here

Got me wondering how many Mothering moms ask that the cord clamping be delayed. So, here's a poll. If you have any thoughts to share on the topic please do! coolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-16-2014, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wanted to, but the SOB doctor clamped and cut it (and yanked my placenta out when i told her to stop) immediately. 

#3 of 9 Old 01-20-2014, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
How funny PP (not funny haha ya know) I had the same experience!
I had it written down in my birth plan, told the nurses, told the Dr. twice and he still clamped, cut, and yanked!

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#4 of 9 Old 01-20-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wishes were not respected with 1st birth (hospital), however the cord wasn't cut until 20min or so after I delivered my 2nd daughter (homebirth)... I don't remember if it was fully done pulsing or not, I was VERY out of it (low electrolytes) so I don't remember.

This time I'm having a doula to help me "remember" all those tiny details that I can easily forgot and not push for if I'm too tired. Then again this MW is all for the delayed cord clamping and what not so I should be good to go.

Kailey 8.1.06 Midwife - Hospital

Nola 3.20.09  Midwife - Homebirth

EDD 7.12.14 New Midwives -  Outdoor Homebirth w/ a Team Green baby!

33 weeks

#5 of 9 Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoginiMomma View Post

I wanted to, but the SOB doctor clamped and cut it (and yanked my placenta out when i told her to stop) immediately. 

Same here. However, I was told when I arrived that delayed clamping would not be possible due to meconium staining in the amniotic fluid.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#6 of 9 Old 02-28-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Yes with my last two - one planned homebirth and one planned hospital birth with a cnm. Both times the cords were left alone for quite awhile, 15 minutes at least.

I've had two unplanned hospital births, I don't remember exactly how long after they were cut. My husband did them but probably within a minute or so.

My other two were planned homebirths. It was probably at least a couple of minutes but their cords were really short to the point that I couldn't get them up to my chest.

#7 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I don't remember the first two in the hospital with CNMs, but the last two at home were both delayed, and each of their cords pumped for nearly an hour.  Luckily I could reach to chest with cord still attached and then placenta came shortly.  With dd, her pediatrician saw her the next day and commented on how ruddy she was.  Neither of them got jaundice, FWIW.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#8 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

hospital birth and we waited until the cord was done pulsing. I distinctly remember hearing the midwife say to my husband Èsee how it's done pulsingÉ that means it's okay to cutÈ (apologies for the weird È things, my baby hit my keyboard and now itès wonky)

#9 of 9 Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
With my DS we delayed until the placenta was detached and the cord stopped pulsing. I don't remember how long that took, not very. The water in the birth tub was still warm. We will absolutely do that again for any future babes.

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page