Poll: For your first birth...how long did you push? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: For your first birth, how long did you push?
Less than 10 minutes 72 14.26%
10-30 minutes 116 22.97%
30 minutes to an hour 82 16.24%
1-2 hours 68 13.47%
2-4 hours 101 20.00%
4-6 hours 46 9.11%
6-12 hours 12 2.38%
12 hours or more 8 1.58%
Voters: 505. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2014, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

All 3 of my children were less than 10 minutes of pushing. I labored quite awhile with all of them (back labor), and when I felt like I needed to it was time. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msella View Post

This will sound nuts to some I am certain, but I did not push- at all with either of my daughters. My body literally expelled them from my body, and no effort was required of me other than being a part of the process. Both were vaginal, drug free midwife assisted births. 3 hours of labor for the first and then 2 hours of labor. But I did nothing but hand myself over to the process... it sounds crazy even now. But I never pushed at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameisrio View Post

30 minutes - no epidural to slow things down. smile.gif

The above comments are so accurate to my experience: my first 4 babies were born in the hospital, flat on my back, with Pitocin and epidurals and episiotomies, and many, many hours of ineffectual pushing.  I ended up with 'healthy' babies, born vaginally, but from a cut, swollen, and very exhausted Mama.  Last two babies were born without hospital intervention, (one at a birth center, last one at home) with no Pit, no epidural, no episiotomies, and I was able to move around and change position freely - and I did not push at all.  My body pushed for me when it was ready, my only job was to relax through the contractions, which made them bearable.  I had building contractions for several hours and then, maybe 2 or three big body 'pulses' and the babies were out.  From my experience, looking back, I think pushing for hours is due to a misunderstanding and a mishandling of the entire process, by an entire culture of misinformation, which we become victims of, unless we self-educate and can break free.

Mama of 6 joy.gifjumpers.gifjumpers.gif, eldest is 10yrs, youngest is 18mos.  winner.jpgfamilybed1.gif our 6th baby was born at home, hooray!

Old 01-21-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:

This will sound nuts to some I am certain, but I did not push- at all with either of my daughters. My body literally expelled them from my body, and no effort was required of me other than being a part of the process. Both were vaginal, drug free midwife assisted births. 3 hours of labor for the first and then 2 hours of labor. But I did nothing but hand myself over to the process... it sounds crazy even now. But I never pushed at all.

Not too nuts...my great aunt was the exact same way with ALL of her kids. She would be walking and just feel a baby all the sudden! 

Wife, mom of 3, obsessed with photography, crafting and blogging http://annleaartsy.blogspot.com/
Old 01-21-2014, 12:19 PM

My first was an emergency c/s, but my second was a vaginal birth and I pushed for an hour and 45 minutes. I was told to push as soon as I was dilated and I think I just wasn't ready. With my third I pushed for 19 minutes, but my body was doing it all on it's own. I really only consciously pushed once at the end once her head was halfway out and the rest of her flew out.

~Sarah

treehugger.gif  trekkie.gifcat.gifcarrot.gif
Mom to Vala ribboncesarean.gif 5/09, Anya hbac.gif 11/11, & one on the way 12/13

Check out my blog- http://healingcesareanscars.blogspot.com/

Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 PM

My labor was 29.5 hrs from start to finish. They said "we have to stop your labor we don't have enough staff to go around" but I never fully stopped! It was horrible. Next day they started me up again mad I went all day and well into the night before I finally had my daughter!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

So jealous of all these fast 2nd stagers!  For me it was 4 hours for the first birth and 2 hours for the second. (oh, and reading along at some of the comments --  I was super active during both births and unmedicated). Some people just take a while to get the baby down. :D

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 01-21-2014, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Just over an hour with DD1.  She was born posterior, although i didn't feel like like I had was back labor.  I had an epidural for the last 20 minutes of labor and for the pushing (and pitocin for the entire labor) and was pushing on my back.  I think it would have taken longer, but the doctor stretched and tore me to the point of a 2nd degree tear (with her hands, since I refused an episiotomy).  She was also 10 lbs, 5 oz, so lots of baby to push out.  

DD2 was about 5 minutes of pushing and DS was about 8 minutes of pushing, both on my back, but with a majority of my labor on the toilet, which I think helped bring them down quickly (and labor for both was around 3 hours).  They were 9 lbs, 12 oz and 9 lbs, 6 oz (mine seem to get smaller each time.)

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

3 hours with my first.  She was sunny side up with a nuchal hand.  Home water birth. 

With my second? 30 minutes. 

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
45 minutes at midnight with an epidural, while on my back, after 21hrs of labor.

Didn't get the epi until my water had broken and I was like 7cm. I dilated really quickly while relaxing under the epi, and though I was a little out of touch with pushing, it worked well enough!

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 PM

Home water birth. From very first contraction to birth was a total of 6.5 hours. It was very fast but my husband thinks I pushed for 2.5 of those hours. I would've said it was 1 hour but had no concept of time during. Not sure why pushing seems so long compared to the rest of labor. Dd was 8lbs 7oz which isn't tiny but isn't off the charts large so who knows. She had a nice shaped head when she was delivered....very round.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:23 AM

Four hours for the first, home-birth, nuchal hand, big baby... hemorrhaging mommy.

Two years for the second.  Two years of pushing all the adoption paperwork across desks.

None at all for the third: c-section.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonicera View Post

Two years for the second.  Two years of pushing all the adoption paperwork across desks. 

:lol

:thumb  Good one!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 01-22-2014, 12:24 PM

Pushed 2+ hours at Birthing Center (was only allowed 2 hours of consistent pushing, but was actually pushing longer than two hours there). Transferred to hospital for another two, only to end up have a CS.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Ds1:  3 1/2 hours and then a vaccum was used. He was posterior and 28 hours of back labor.

Dd1:  4 minutes

Dd2:  14 seconds

Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM

#1, section

#2, 3.5 hours. In the bed with epidural. (I got epi at 9.5 cm, and shouldn't have.)

#2, I pushed maybe 2 minutes, and she flew out. All natural.

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

sweet little one in Heaven angel2.gif ~ about 7 weeks 3 days ~ 12-28-11

Old 01-22-2014, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've never pushed more than 30 minutes-- not with the nuchal hand baby, not even with the late-turning nearly-shoulder-dystocia baby.

I have short labors (less than 12 hours start-to-finish), usually only about 10-15 minutes' pushing, I've never torn or been cut, and I bleed moderately to lightly for about 10 days afterward and am back to feeling like myself after two weeks.

I'm lucky.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:41 PM

With my first 5 pushes (it was a 46 hour labor total).  With my second 3 pushes (10 hour labor).  Not sure with my last babe, it was longer though he had his arm up by his head (6 hour labor). 

Old 01-22-2014, 01:42 PM

I believe my MW wrote down that I pushed for about an hour but really I was relaxed and let my body do all the work without actively getting involved until the last 10 minutes.  Since she thought I had been pushing she thought it was moving slow and had me move to the toilet from the tub.  I was then moved to the bed to check progress where they found DD crowning and realized she was a little stuck and at that point I was encouraged to push.  Even then it wasn't until the MW assistant was in my face and showing me how to make some noise and push out DD.  So really *I* think I only actively pushed for about 10 minutes.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

Old 01-22-2014, 01:47 PM

took like 18 hours to be dilated but once I was ready the 'active' delivery stage of my birth was only 20 minutes and I only pushed once to get my water to break. Then I just breathed him out. A very lovely home water birth with a fully intact perineum. I even succeed on my intention for an orgasmic birth with a flooding orgasm mid-labour that made them think my water broke. I am excited as we prepare to get pregnant with a second soon and can't wait to have an even better more orgasmic birth. 

Old 01-22-2014, 01:54 PM

Dr told me I could give a seminar on pushing form.  Less than 10 minutes.  I had no idea, I just wanted it to be over!

Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 PM

7 hours for the first, 15 minutes for the second! What a difference!!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:06 PM

Wow! What a variety of responses!!

Birth #1 - 42+ hour labor, maybe an hour or more of pushing (was exhausted and had epidural after 30+ hours of very painful labor)

Birth #2 - 4 hour labor at home, pushed maybe 20 minutes (just as MW arrived)

Birth #3 - 2 Hour labor at home, pushed 10-20 minutes since baby's shoulder was stuck on my pubic symphysis (MW made sure to show up early  this time since my last birth she almost missed!).

All my babes have been posterior and the last two turned during labor or just before.

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Labor total was 12 hrs. 30 min. pushing in the water, which went very fast. I had a home, water birth.

Widowed mom to a 5 year old
Old 01-22-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:

then i'm also a nutter. wink1.gif
my first i pushed for 14 minutes (directed pushing on back) and 2-4 were homebirths and i did not push at all. they yo-yo'd out on their own.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

I was in the hospital, sitting on the toilet trying to relieve constipation. Midwife checked me 30 mins prior and I was only 1 cm dilated. Contractions were very intense already though.

My body was pushing and suddenly I felt myself sort of split open below (don't know how else to describe it). I could feel the baby's head. I freaked out! I started to worry labor was going too fast because I heard the tearing can be bad when the pushing isn't controlled. Anyway, baby slid out a few minutes later into the toilet. 

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsume View Post

then i'm also a nutter. wink1.gif
my first i pushed for 14 minutes (directed pushing on back) and 2-4 were homebirths and i did not push at all. they yo-yo'd out on their own.

There's actually a name for that.  It's called the fetal ejection reflex.  I've never experienced it-- and I might never, because I'm such a control freak, the hardest part of labor for me is letting go and trusting-- but it's a thing.

Five hours - standing the whole time. He was posterior and stubborn! The second two were both under ten minutes - much nicer!

Old 01-22-2014, 02:31 PM

I pushed 2.5 hours with my first and 6 minutes with my second. Both were hospital births with an epidural placed around 7 cm.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Three hours. A homebirth, all natural, 21 hours of labor total. I'm surprised I'm falling into the most common category, since I always thought three hours was considered a really long time to push (or unacceptably long to OB's. I had a CNM). I figured I would have ended up with a c-section if I had been in a hospital.

Although if it's not considered pushing if it is a reflex, maybe I didn't push at all? Not to be gross, but that stage of labor always reminded me more of throwing up than anything - not really voluntary. 1 hour with the second, maybe half an hour with the third, and for the fourth I don't know... five minutes?

Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 PM

I voted less than an hour but I didn't push with my first. I did push with my 2nd, 3rd and 4th but it was less than a minute each time. One or two pushes (not controlled by me) for the head and the other (slightly more controlled by me) for the body. 

It was definitely fetal ejection reflex each time... 

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)

Tags
Miracle Ball For Pregnancy , The Birth Partner A Complete Guide To Childbirth For Dads Doulas And All Other Labor Companions
User Tag List