Poll: For your first birth...how long did you push? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: For your first birth, how long did you push?
Less than 10 minutes 72 14.26%
10-30 minutes 116 22.97%
30 minutes to an hour 82 16.24%
1-2 hours 68 13.47%
2-4 hours 101 20.00%
4-6 hours 46 9.11%
6-12 hours 12 2.38%
12 hours or more 8 1.58%
Voters: 505. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I pushed for under 15 minutes. It was completely involuntary as my midwife was telling me to stop at first and I tried to stop but it was completely impossible! My body just TOOK OVER and out she flew into the water of our homebirth. smile.gif She was also posterior!

ETA: I submitted my reply before reading through any of the other replies. Now that I just read through them I wanted to add that I am with the ladies who experienced "fetal ejection reflex." I had never even heard of that, but fits exactly what I've tried to describe to people. It is crazy to me when I hear of or see a woman being told by a doctor or nurse "ok now it's time to push" or "now you need to push" as though the woman isn't given the chance to know that for herself(!!), to listen to her body and allow it to naturally transition into a state where it will push for her. I didn't *push* one single time. My midwife only did a cervical check to see if I could go in the water and discovered I was only at 4cm, that is why she told me i should stop pushing so that I wouldn't swell my cervix. But like I said, try though I might, there was NO stopping my body... it was expelling this baby whether anyone liked it or not. wink1.gif
As I've heard others explain or seen women in birth videos who are straining their faces and appear to be *pushing* similarly to how you push a huge heavy piece of furniture... it makes me wonder if they are being told to push too soon...? I'm not saying that I did a "better job in my labor" or anything like that so please don't take it that way. I know every woman's labor experience is unique and I believe that is one of the beauties of it all! Maybe some women would truly never get to that point, but I am simply questioning if more women were left alone during labor and free to surrender to their bodies instead of being *told* when, what and where to do something... then would there be a higher percentage of women experiencing the "no push phenomenon" fetal ejection reflex..? i wonder...
Almi and bruna like this.

Wife to dh_malesling.GIF ; Mama to A (M/C at 16wks 2011) angel1.gif and love-of-my-life DD M (BORN May 2012) luxlove.gif and S (M/C at 7wks June 2013) angel1.gif and rainbow1284.gif Rainbow Baby due in April 2014 3rdtri.gifjoy.gif
h20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif
#62 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 02:15 PM

I pushed 10 hours, not including a 2 hour boycott. I had a doula and a midwife and had been in labor for 3 days. When Dd stopped moving down after 8 hours of very gradual progress, I crossed my legs and insisted they consult the OB on duty to evaulate for pushing her back up an doing a C-section. I refused to continue pushing until they consulted her, and it took a good long time to get her, because for awhile they didn't take my boycott seriously.

The OB came in and she was great. We discussed options including forceps (I negotiated for one gentle tug only and then no further attempts, and I don't think she even ended up trying that. She did an exam on me that made me feel like a farm animal, and determined that I had some funny twists in my pelvis that were hard for Dd to work her way around. She said I had a small pelvis, but Dd was thought to be small so everyone agreed "there should be plenty of room."

I asked for an oxygen mask and had them turn it all the way up - and the drops in heart rate went away. I felt better about continuing after that. The OB did something with her arm that made me feel certain she'd also delivered troubled cattle, and got me doing heavy duty hospital pushes - the ones where you count to ten and your veins pop out of your head. Dd started doing some serious moving. The doula had me hanging from a bar over the bed, so we used gravity to it's best. The OB guided her around the twists and turns, and after two more hours of pushing, out she came, looking like a plump, pink two month old, happy and relaxed as if she hadn't been through any big deal. She was about 2 pounds bigger than they expected, and everyone said, no wonder.
#63 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 02:34 PM

I feel like my reply (12+ hours) is misleading, as my son was wrapped in the umbilical cord so tightly he couldn't descend, which led to an emergency C-section after HB/Transfer. But still...

read.gif, mom to wild.gif and dust.gif, partner to malesling.GIF
#64 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I voted for 2-4, but I'm really not sure. I remember looking at the clock once or twice, and thinking that that thing, the hands, the numbers, it was all meaningless. I was in a different place, where time didn't exist. Then again it seemed like forever.

Almi likes this.
#65 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 03:23 PM

About 45 mins for baby 1, homebirth, purple pushing on my back. 6 hr 45 min labor.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#66 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 03:24 PM

15 min. with my first, but I only had a 2 1/2 hour labor.  Delivered at home by my husband with the midwife right there.  All my labors were fast like this though.

#67 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

3.5 hours, almost ended up with an emergency c-section. my daughter was 11lbs 2oz so she was big and almost got stuck

Sarah (35) Married to Jason (32)  Cali (11)  Madeline Due 11/17/2014  
#68 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 03:55 PM

3 pushes total, less than 5 minutes. First push, water broke, second push, head was out, third push, the whole baby. I had felt like pushing probably about 15 minutes before, but we were in the car, and i breathed deeply through the contractions so i wouldnt push. I definitely felt the baby pushing as well, he shifted position and pushed his legs so he would go down further in the car. I am pretty sure that was the fetal ejection reflex. He was ready to get out! He was born at a midwife run birth center. Total labor was 4 hours.
#69 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Fetal Ejection Reflex - Wow!- I'm so glad to hear this term, and know now that others had the same experience.
My son shot out in one incredible burst! I was in 1st and 2nd phase labour for maybe 5 hours, just following my instincts, totally left alone for the most part. I was laying on the floor silently riding some mega pain/ power rushes as the baby moved down in transition. Midwife arrives and suggests I get up on the bed, so I crawl there hands and knees, and stay and hands and knees, Could have been 3 or 4 contractions, and my body just squeezing itself, bearing down with all it's might.
Similar to the vomit reflex, in that it is completely involuntary and forceful.
A totally wild beautiful ride.
So yes, no voluntary pushing, but I answered 10-20 for the time it took to eject, an approximation.
Almi likes this.

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#70 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 04:46 PM

An hour here as well! And I did Hypnobabies, which helped a lot!

#71 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 04:52 PM

My first two were twins, second two singles.  All born unassisted.

#1 - 4 lbs, 2 oz; #2 - 5 lbs, 6 oz; #3 - 8 lbs; #4 - 7 lbs

All had similar head circumference, with my last one possibly a little bit bigger.  I birthed upright on my knees with my twins and on the toilet for my last two.  Pushing was different for each of them, but I pushed for less than 5 minutes with all of them.

#72 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruna View Post

Fetal Ejection Reflex - Wow!- I'm so glad to hear this term, and know now that others had the same experience.
My son shot out in one incredible burst! I was in 1st and 2nd phase labour for maybe 5 hours, just following my instincts, totally left alone for the most part. I was laying on the floor silently riding some mega pain/ power rushes as the baby moved down in transition. Midwife arrives and suggests I get up on the bed, so I crawl there hands and knees, and stay and hands and knees, Could have been 3 or 4 contractions, and my body just squeezing itself, bearing down with all it's might.
Similar to the vomit reflex, in that it is completely involuntary and forceful.
A totally wild beautiful ride.
So yes, no voluntary pushing, but I answered 10-20 for the time it took to eject, an approximation.

This is what I got each time, uncontrollable pushing!  It is incredibly intense. :)

#73 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 05:01 PM

Boy, do I wish I'd felt that fetal ejection reflex! First baby, 2.5 hours of pushing, after 3 days in labor. Birthed in a hospital, with an epidural. Second baby, pushed about 30 minutes, also in a hospital but no interventions. Both times I started pushing when my OB instructed me to start, not because I felt the urge. Everything turned out fine, but next time I'll wait. Both babies were more than 8 lbs.

Mother of Mosole 5/23/2009
#74 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philothea View Post
Maybe some women would truly never get to that point, but I am simply questioning if more women were left alone during labor and free to surrender to their bodies instead of being *told* when, what and where to do something... then would there be a higher percentage of women experiencing the "no push phenomenon" fetal ejection reflex..? i wonder...

I sort of wonder about this. I don't think I had the fetal ejection reflex per se but I had a lot of rectal pressure in late 1st stage and it felt good to be able to push rather than trying to just live with that pressure. I did ask my midwife if not actively pushing and instead "laboring down" was an option. She said I could do either way but labor would probably take longer if I didn't actively push. Maybe if I'd had an epidural "laboring down" would have sounded a little better, but as it was I was like, I want this baby out, so let's push. 

Almi likes this.
#75 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 05:24 PM

1st and only child. Had an epidural and was in labor about 14 hours. However only had to push about 3 times. It was miraculously easy.
#76 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 PM

When it was all said and done, I labored for 44.5 hours (6-8 hours were drugged) two and a half of which were active pushing. My poor little boy had the worst claymation horrific shaped head from being in the birth canal for so long. I tore and got stitched up, had hemmoroids for months, but everything is ok now. Little boy is almost five! My second birth was so much easier. 22 hours of total labor, I pushed maybe 4 times, drug free!
Almi likes this.
#77 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 08:15 PM

I didn't? I fought pushing for about 40 minutes, because I hit second stage at home, and then got to the hospital, and they didn't want me pushing until the doctor got there. So 13 minutes later, doctor or no, poof, baby. 

Almi likes this.
#78 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 PM

My first came 4 weeks early (36 weeks) and we hadn't had our crash course in labouring techniques yet, so... i pushed like heck when the urge came, not knowing that the baby's head would move down the canal and then back up a bit, and then again, and then again. I cranked him out of there, like an animal, I think in about 10 minutes with lots of tearing! ugh. I knew better for number 2 and 3, and still only did 10-15 minutes of pushing, but allowed for some ebb and flow in the process!

#79 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 08:41 PM

With my first bit was 30 mins. I was just induced 36 weeks and ended up with a epi. It was a 4 hour total from contractions to birth so not horrible.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#80 of 107 Old 01-22-2014, 11:01 PM

My first was a c-section and I never got to pushing. My second was a VBAC and I pushed for 45 min. My third (2nd VBAC) I pushed for 20 min
#81 of 107 Old 01-23-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msella View Post

This will sound nuts to some I am certain, but I did not push- at all with either of my daughters. My body literally expelled them from my body, and no effort was required of me other than being a part of the process. Both were vaginal, drug free midwife assisted births. 3 hours of labor for the first and then 2 hours of labor. But I did nothing but hand myself over to the process... it sounds crazy even now. But I never pushed at all.

On my fifth baby I studied unassisted birth voraciously just to learn what it was supposed to be like when no one interfered or coached.  I read hundreds of stories.  Many, even a majority of the moms described delivery just like you did.  It isn't crazy at all.  It is what can often happen when a birthing mother is undistracted by her birthing assistants.  In my first four births I had never felt a "pushing contraction", it was always transition and then my body quit.  The pushing phase always took FOREVER with me doing all the work.  I realized that hospital staff had made me wait too long to push with every birth.  Those really hard to deal with contractions that came at about 8cm…that is when I should have pushed because those contractions were powerful and they would have gotten the baby out efficiently.  When I felt those huge contractions with my fifth baby the nurse said I was 5-7cm.  I pushed, very slightly, through each contraction from then on and I felt my body do all the rest of the work.  My baby was born with very little effort from me an hour later.  My main job was major pushing the last two minutes when the shoulders got stuck.

#82 of 107 Old 01-23-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msella View Post

This will sound nuts to some I am certain, but I did not push- at all with either of my daughters. My body literally expelled them from my body, and no effort was required of me other than being a part of the process. Both were vaginal, drug free midwife assisted births. 3 hours of labor for the first and then 2 hours of labor. But I did nothing but hand myself over to the process... it sounds crazy even now. But I never pushed at all.
[/quote

Neither did I! My labor was 5 hours, unmedicated, at home, with a midwife. This was my first pregnancy. I was 8 days overdue (in July, yuck!) And was terribly worried I would go too overdue for a homebirth. As soon as it was confirmed, via phone with my midwife, that I was actually in labor, I embraced it! As my grandma says "the child birthed himself!" And she should know, she saw everything, and played birthing assistant, as did my mother.
#83 of 107 Old 01-23-2014, 03:11 AM

I had hard back labor for a day and a half and pushed for three hours with my daughter. She was face-up, weighed 9 lbs. and had a very large head. My pubic symphisis separated during the birth. The labor was mostly natural, but I was not able to get past 5 cm without assistance, so I was given pitocin and an epidural and woke up less than 2 hours later with the urge to push and sensation in my pelvic floor. The epidural failed in just the right way, so I was able to feel enough to push out my daughter. Apparently women in my situation almost always end up with a c-section, so I feel very fortunate to have had the birth experience that I did. My amazing doula and husband were essential to the process, as I needed counter-pressure on my low back through all of my contractions.

#84 of 107 Old 01-23-2014, 04:42 AM

I tend to have very long and intense labors followed by a fast and intense pushing stage. By no means does it get easier with subsequent births, not for me anyways. 

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#85 of 107 Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 AM

With my first it was 45min to an hour. I had an epi though so that could  have contributed!

#86 of 107 Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 AM

Overall labor was about 28 hours. But the pushing was super quick...less than 20 minutes. I joke that he pushed himself out (all 9 lbs 10 oz. of him).

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#87 of 107 Old 01-23-2014, 11:08 AM

Boy am I glad to read that some subsequent labors aren't easier for others! I was in active labor for about 12 hours with both my girls. The first time, I pushed for three and a half hours on my back before I just got too tired and she got stuck in an awkward position (the women in my family have especially narrow pelvises). I opted for a c-section but bet I could have done it if they let me move. With my second girl, I planned a home water birth but the cord was too tightly wrapped around her neck and she had dangerous tachycardia, so I transferred to hospital at 9 cm and had to get another c-section (no vbacs allowed where I live). Wish it could have been more natural, but without help I and/or my girls would have died. Hooray for modern medicine when you need it!
#88 of 107 Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 PM

According to my midwife, I pushed for 4 hours and 2 minutes. I was in labor for 55 hours (from when I called her with minute long contractions, which were 4 minutes apart), and really intense labor for about 32 hours. I had back labor so never felt the urge to push. My partner sat on the edge of the island in our kitchen, and I hung my arms over his thighs and had each foot on a chair, so I could hang my bum down low. Where I had the back labor, I wasn't getting signals from body of where to push, so my midwife held her fingers inside of me and told me to push them out. Once my daughter crowned, I waddled to the living room, where the birth pool was, and had her there. She was 9 lbs 9 oz with a 13 3/4" head, and didn't need 1 stitch!!

cynthiamoon likes this.
#89 of 107 Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM

First baby - 17 minutes.  She was 10.6 lbs.  I woke at 5 am with lower back pressure, drove 45 mins to closest birthing center at 5 pm, I was 7 centimeters dialated, got into the tub, labored another 2.5 hrs, pushed 17 minutes.  Was lovely and peaceful.  For me anyway.  The cord was wrapped around her neck, she was just fine but I wonder what it was like for her spiritually. 

Second baby - maybe one minute.  He was 9/14 lbs.  I woke at 4 am sweating.  One 'intense' contraction, water broke, went into bathroom, he pretty much fell out of me =). 

Wonder what the third one would be like, ha! =)

#90 of 107 Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philothea View Post

I pushed for under 15 minutes. It was completely involuntary as my midwife was telling me to stop at first and I tried to stop but it was completely impossible! My body just TOOK OVER and out she flew into the water of our homebirth. smile.gif She was also posterior!

ETA: I submitted my reply before reading through any of the other replies. Now that I just read through them I wanted to add that I am with the ladies who experienced "fetal ejection reflex." I had never even heard of that, but fits exactly what I've tried to describe to people. It is crazy to me when I hear of or see a woman being told by a doctor or nurse "ok now it's time to push" or "now you need to push" as though the woman isn't given the chance to know that for herself(!!), to listen to her body and allow it to naturally transition into a state where it will push for her. I didn't *push* one single time. My midwife only did a cervical check to see if I could go in the water and discovered I was only at 4cm, that is why she told me i should stop pushing so that I wouldn't swell my cervix. But like I said, try though I might, there was NO stopping my body... it was expelling this baby whether anyone liked it or not. wink1.gif
As I've heard others explain or seen women in birth videos who are straining their faces and appear to be *pushing* similarly to how you push a huge heavy piece of furniture... it makes me wonder if they are being told to push too soon...? I'm not saying that I did a "better job in my labor" or anything like that so please don't take it that way. I know every woman's labor experience is unique and I believe that is one of the beauties of it all! Maybe some women would truly never get to that point, but I am simply questioning if more women were left alone during labor and free to surrender to their bodies instead of being *told* when, what and where to do something... then would there be a higher percentage of women experiencing the "no push phenomenon" fetal ejection reflex..? i wonder...

I did all the preparation for a hypnobirthing (relaxing, calm. No pushing, etc). I was in a very natural-child-birth supportive hospital, in active labor for 7 hours. Prior to that I was in early labor for 50 hours (surges ranging from 10 to 4 minutes apart). For the first 4 hours of active labor my midwife was okay with me changing positions and locations. I went from bed to tub to bathroom to tub to bed. The last two hours she suggested I push because he was in the birth canal but my surges were too weak to expell him. I ended up needing pitocin ( for only 5 minutes) to jump start my surges.... That was after an hour and a half of him hanging out in the birth canal. I also began to dehydrate and I and the baby were low on oxygen so I needed an oxygen mask and am IV of fluids. I NEVER wanted all those things but it was becoming dangerous for me and my baby. Oh... My midwife also had to give me an episiotomy... After he was born she said that in any other hospital they would have rushed me into the OR for a c section... It wasn't the calm hypno-water birth I wanted but I did it without pain meds and vaginally. My point is...if u were able to have your ideal birth you are lucky. Sometimes circumstances cause women to have those less-than- ideal births...I was one of them but I am thankful he arrived without being in a drug-haze. Of course, we are now in full blown attachment parenting and he is thriving!

Tags
Miracle Ball For Pregnancy , The Birth Partner A Complete Guide To Childbirth For Dads Doulas And All Other Labor Companions

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page