Poll: For your first birth...how long did you push? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: For your first birth, how long did you push?
Less than 10 minutes 72 14.26%
10-30 minutes 116 22.97%
30 minutes to an hour 82 16.24%
1-2 hours 68 13.47%
2-4 hours 101 20.00%
4-6 hours 46 9.11%
6-12 hours 12 2.38%
12 hours or more 8 1.58%
Voters: 505. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 107 Old 01-24-2014, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

She came out in 3 pushes. The doctor wouldn't have been there in time except she scared the nurses by moving away from the heart monitor shortly before I started pushing. The doctor got there and saw that everything was actually fine and said, I'm going to go get coffee. Well, he didn't have time for coffee. My labor was only 6 hours in the hospital and from time of contractions 9 hours total. My parents joked that the next kid would be born at home or on the way to the hospital.

Single mom of a 5 yo
#92 of 107 Old 01-24-2014, 03:25 PM

I don't see an option for "not applicable". My OB convinced my to be induced, after 2 days I had not dilated at all, and was basically forced to have a c-section. With my 2nd, I pushed about 30 minutes after 12 hours of labor to birth an 11 pound baby. I had #3 a home water birth and went from water breaking at 6 cm to done in 35 minutes, mostly involuntary pushing contractions, maybe 2 active pushes for a 10lb 13oz baby. 

#93 of 107 Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 PM

My first came 5 weeks early - which was a big surprise to me - and the labor was fast & furious. I was terrified and could only think, "this isn't supposed to be happening yet!" All in all I pushed maybe 20 min or so, but for the first part I was literally closing my legs. I just didn't want it to happen. I'm a midwife, and the intensity of this emotional reaction was a huge lesson!! Our minds are truly mighty, and can make a difference in labor and birth...but in the end, our bodies are mighty too!! But to all you preggos reading this, remember that fast pushing isn't always best though, and sometimes a slower 2nd stage will actually prevent tears. Small babies that fly out can feel worse than the big bubbas sometimes:) 

#94 of 107 Old 01-25-2014, 10:30 AM

Maybe 15 minutes with my first, but may have been more like 10.

WAHM to Sofia 12/09 and angel1.gif 4/13

"If you want to be happy, be."  Tolstoy

familybed1.gifviolin.gifBFPChart2.gif

#95 of 107 Old 01-25-2014, 12:14 PM

With my first, I had an induction epidural and a monitor belt around my belly and the OB basically told me when to push. My doula noticed and pointed out that I could tell when to push on my own and so we took off the monitor. I started the pushing stage at 5:45pm and DS1 was born at 6:15pm. I think there were 12 pushes in all. 

For my second, I wanted a much more natural experience.  I was in transition for about 90 minutes and I didn't push until I felt I had to, at the very end. Two pushes and he was out. 

#96 of 107 Old 01-29-2014, 07:21 PM

6 hour unmedicated birth center birth with 22 minutes of pushing. Super intense with both stages! 

JustJenny and DH of 20 years 

After a 2 year fertility struggle  - Baby girl is here! Jan 8th 2014 

2 Boxer Furbabies Buddha and Tootsie 
#97 of 107 Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 PM

I pushed for 1 hour. Her head was crowning at the 4 hour mark with no pushing. Contractions did the work for me up til then. But then the last hour was all my pushing. It wasn't easy to get that head out lol. Total labor time was 5 hours. Home birth.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#98 of 107 Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM

4 hours of active pushing after the midwife broke my water and she descended, with maybe 30 mins of spontaneous mild pushing before that. Total active labor of around 14 hours, with on and off contractions for two days beforehand. I don't think there was any significant "reason" for it taking that long other than my tissues apparently being super tight. I didn't know the pushing went on so long until I was told afterward - it hadn't seemed that long to me while I was in the "zone" so to speak. Pushed in the birth pool for most of the time, then tried the stool for maybe two pushes and it was useless, then finally got her moving down while on my back on the bed. Thankfully DD tolerated it all without any issues. Her heart rate barely had a hiccup the whole time.

ETA: I pushed when I had the urge, not when told to do so. But no amount of "breathing the baby down" would have gotten that child out of me. She had to be PUSHED out and it took a lot of work. And I don't think there was any way I was going to avoid tearing. I had 2nd degree tears down the perineum and into the vagina on two sides. Once my tissues finally tore she shot out of me all at once - no pause between head and body. And she was only 7.5 lbs.

Mom to Ava - 10/8/13 love.gif 
#99 of 107 Old 01-31-2014, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I pushed for about 20minutes for all three of my babies.

Im glad it was only 20minutes, because despite the pain of labor for me (the low moaning helped me, but i got a sore throat from moaning so much :-)), and the fact that transition has gotta be one of the most unpleasant things-sweating, vomiting...i still found the pushing phase the worst of all, in that each time i feared for my baby and for myself in that time. Only 20mintes....but 20 minutes of thinking i was going to break in half, or my baby was  going to suffocate in my birth canal and never come out.  And then she came! Perked up, and looked around! My  ds 1 and 2 both had meconium but were fine after a minute...everything was fine! I still feel so blessed.

The irony is (and im grateful for this irony), i had no tears whatsoever with my last two  9lber  babies,  despite fearing i was going to break in half. With my first (a hospital birth, my other two were homebirths) i got a very small episiotomy which my midewife later told me  was unnecessary.

And i'd do it all again!

#100 of 107 Old 02-02-2014, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I pushed for about an hour and 45 minutes but that's because both of his hands/forearms came out with his head. They were crossed at the forearms, making the elbows wider so he got a bit stuck and I had to hike a leg up! I was very glad I was in water for that.
#101 of 107 Old 02-02-2014, 10:16 PM

My first was born posterior and after stalling at 8cm for 8 hours I consented to pitocin, but no epidural. Still, because of the pitocin they had me strapped to the bed and I pushed on my back for 2.5 hours. It was the classic nurse-directed purple pushing complete with counting and everyone cheering me on. Labor was a total of 28 hours. She was 7 lbs 12 oz and born Sunnyside up!

My second was a hospital-based water birth and after 6 hours of labor I pushed for about 45 minutes. She was 9lbs 9oz. Although I felt my body spontaneously pushing on its own, I was surprised that I had to work so hard on top of that in order to get her out! No tears with either one, but I have had some mild pelvic-floor issues after the last.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#102 of 107 Old 02-03-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was in labor for about 13 hours total, and he pretty much came out on his own in less than ten minutes. Technically my body was pushing, but I wasn't conciously doing any work. If anything I was trying to hold back a little so that he wouldn't come quite so fast. Holding back hurts a lot more than just letting them come! I had the bed in an upright position, and pushed myself up with my arms during contractions to relieve the pressure on my bottom. I screamed during every pushing contraction. And I pretty much yelled at the nurse when she tried to get me to "help them hold my legs back". I was busy, and I figured she and my husband had it covered. The doctor was hardly there at all, and hardly did anything.

#103 of 107 Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 AM

My first was 4 1/2 hours, but my second was a 9 minute self projector:) I don't like to talk about the third..., haha.

#104 of 107 Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 AM

First birth, somewhere around 3 hours.

Second birth, I think 15 minutes 

Mama to my little Lily luxlove.gif (09/2010), and a sweet baby boy joy.gif (12/2012)

#105 of 107 Old 02-12-2014, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
First baby was 5 hours of labor, including 30 minutes of pushing in an awkward position(hospital). Second baby was 2.5 hours of labor, including a couple pushes while squatting in a pool(homebirth).

Anna: married to my best friend (12/2005), mommy to DD (10/2006) and DD (12/2008). Thrilled to be expecting our third and last sometime in October'14! It's a boy!
#106 of 107 Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

5-10 minutes. I remember it was 3 pushes total, and dd shot out like a rocket. The student OB nearly dropped her - she was surprised!

Total labor was about 8 hours. Water broke the day before, went to the hospital after 24 hours with no sign of labor, finally got in a room about 1 am, dd was born at 9:15 in the morning, just in time for me to get breakfast.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#107 of 107 Old 03-18-2014, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
It was about 10-15 minutes for all three of my pushed births.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!

Tags
Miracle Ball For Pregnancy , The Birth Partner A Complete Guide To Childbirth For Dads Doulas And All Other Labor Companions

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page