Mothering Forum banner

Does induction length predict natural labor length?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cileag 
#1 ·
A little bit of background...

I was induced in my first pregnancy two weeks before my due date, because of high blood pressure. I was given two doses of Cervadil, twelve hours apart, which did nothing. Another twelve hours later I received one dose of Cytotec. Twelve hours later I was still fingertip dilated and no contractions. The OB stripped my membranes and I got a final dose of Cytotec. An hour later labor started, fast and furious from the get go, and less than three hours after that I was holding DS (with about 30-45 minutes of pushing in there). My husband barely made it back from the store in time!

So much for the gentle, intervention free homebirth I had been hoping for.
:irked

When telling a friend who is an L&D nurse this, and my plans to try again for a homebirth next time, she advised me to call the midwife the second I start having contractions because of my history of precipitous labor.

I initially thought that it probably happened so quickly because of the interventions, not because my body naturally births quickly. My mom was in active labor with me for 66 hours
bigeyes.gif
so I had been expecting a very long labor. Now I'm not so sure.

Anyone with a fast, induced first labor see a correlation with subsequent labors? Just wondering what I should be anticipating, as I don't want to be disappointed if labor #2 takes much longer, assuming there are no interventions.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would not correlate that induction with any sense of how your body might labor on its own. You described a very typical induction where it is slow to get going and then often speeds up active labor. Really, no one knows how they labor. Position of the baby, term or preterm, medical issues, all of these things will contribute to how your labor goes. I think when the time comes you should talk to you midwife and discuss when you want her to come. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.