Did YOUR water break first? Share your funny/not so funny stories here! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 76 Old 02-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have only had my water break with one of my 4 children (#5 remains to be seen) and that was my 3rd child. He was my only breech baby too. I woke up at 2:30am to use the restroom and whoosh! my water broke as I got off the toilet. Normally my water doesn't break until the moment before baby is born.
#62 of 76 Old 02-06-2014, 02:15 PM

With DS1 I was induced at 42 weeks with cervadil and pitocin. The OB broke my water when I was in labor and at 6cm dilated. He was born two hours later.

With DS2 I was 39 w 6 d when my water broke at 1:30 am in bed. I am so glad I had listened to my friend tell of her two births that the same thing happened to her. Therefore, I put a waterproof pad down underneath me to sleep on the week leading up to my labor. It woke me up with a small trickle and then it kept coming out more and more. I wrapped the pad around me and between my legs to run to the bathroom as it was leaking out! Labor didn't start for several hours and then stalled for the rest of the day. I had my son at home but it was about 30 hours after my water broke that he was born in the birthing tub. It was a long process but an incredible experience to have a home birth.

Put a pad underneath you when you lay down if possible, it saved our mattress!
#63 of 76 Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 PM

With my first daughter I went the bathroom twice and didn't know my water broke until I went to the hospital to have my amniotic fluid checked. It there that I was told my water had broken. Once I was admitted I was given a drug to get the labor going. This was on a monday and the next day at 2:14pm I gave birth to my oldest. With my son I was induced. With my second daughter my water broke before I got to the hospital. My third daughter and last child was in labor when I got to the hospital and my doctor broke my water.
#64 of 76 Old 02-07-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Okay, this might be TMI, but for those of who you were checked to make sure it was amniotic fluid, did you have the horrific dry speculum ordeal? I did, and I swear that was the worst part of the whole labor experience. Yeeowch!! They said something about not being able to use lubricant because of the risk of introducing bacteria. But then they checked me zillions of times, used internal monitors, amniotic infusion, and pretty much every other intervention in existence, so... headscratch.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#65 of 76 Old 02-07-2014, 05:43 PM

I thought it did, but it turns out that I was just leaking pee with every contraction!  (I was full of water since my baby was born in July, and I was thirsty all the time.)  my midwife broke it after about 15 hours of labor, when I was at about 5 or 6 centimeters, but there wasn't much of a gush even then.  it didn't increase the frequency of my contractions either (which was the goal, as they'd slowed to about five minutes apart).  I ended up dilating completely after some pitocin, an epidural, and 24 total hours of active labor, but my baby couldn't come down through my pelvis without his heart rate dropping precipitously each time.  I didn't feel an urge to push, and my midwife suggested that a C-section would be safer than attempting to squeeze his head through there.  he was born safe and sound, I was fine, and I'm glad we decided to do the surgery when we did! 

#66 of 76 Old 02-07-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Broke for both, without trying to be graphic, a few drops then the gush for the 1st, labor started right away, then the 2nd, slow leak all day, labor didn't start until late that night.  Fun!  Ah, the memories :)

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

#67 of 76 Old 02-08-2014, 03:52 PM

With DS1, my water broke-- I was 42 weeks & scheduled to be induced that morning, stood up out of bed to get ready for my appt, & felt a slow trickle that I just knew was amniotic fluid-- no big pop.

With DS2 and DD3, my water broke during labor-- in the birthing tub, so it was just a slightly amber colored spurt in the midst of early pushing.

With DD4, I was at the laundromat, washing my lovely woolie mattress cover, so it would be all clean and cuddly when we brought DD home & it was again, just a thin slow trickle every time I took a step-- it lead me to my biggest labor mistake-- I went in to the hospital, so they could determine whether it was amniotic fluid & it was, so they checked me in immediately-- we'd planned on going in just in time to push-- not on spending the entire labor at the hospital!

#68 of 76 Old 02-08-2014, 09:10 PM

Mine broke when I was about 8 cm. I was in the birthing tub, and suddenly felt a whoosh of water coming out. I couldn't tell whether it was a lot, but I definitely knew. I was hoping for an en caul birth, no dice.

#69 of 76 Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Okay, this might be TMI, but for those of who you were checked to make sure it was amniotic fluid, did you have the horrific dry speculum ordeal? I did, and I swear that was the worst part of the whole labor experience. Yeeowch!! They said something about not being able to use lubricant because of the risk of introducing bacteria. But then they checked me zillions of times, used internal monitors, amniotic infusion, and pretty much every other intervention in existence, so... headscratch.gif
Ow! Yes that makes no sense when they are being so invasive otherwise! With my first I was leaking and the nurse just sort of 'swabbed'? with the litmus paper to determine if it was amniotic fluid, no speculum. No vag exams at all until I was ready to push since the bag was leaking. With my second, I leaked for a few days before going into labor, and still had AROM just before pushing.
#70 of 76 Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 PM

With my first it did, on my due date, even! I was antique shopping with my Mom and I climbed into her car to leave and *sploosh!* all over the seat! The next they insisted on breaking it at the hospital even though I'd only been laboring mildly for two hours. The next two were born at home and with both my waters broke during transition. (Btw transition. That's a party, eh? Lol)

#71 of 76 Old 02-12-2014, 12:49 AM

My water breaking was my first sign of labor.  I was 39w4d

7pm- DH & I finally agreed on a name for our son

8pm- We were headed out for a walk and I decided I should pee first.  I didn't feel or hear a pop or anything unusual, but I kept trickling after my bladder was empty.  I just sat there in disbelief for awhile asking myself, "Am I still peeing or did my water break?  Are you sure?"  LOL!  I called my doula and she told me I would keep having trickles if my water had broken.  I figured out pretty fast that's what was going on when we tried to resume our walk plans.

9-12:30pm- I did some last minute things to wrap up work (from home) with no significant contractions

12:30pm- I started to notice contractions so I sent the last work email, thinking I could maybe still get some rest before the big show started

1:00am- Brush teeth, wash face and things are getting seriously painful and I'm feeling like a big huge wimp

1:10am- I tell DH how painful they are and he times 2 contractions.  From there I basically walk right into transition.  My son is born at 1:57am in an unplanned homebirth with me and 5 firefighters in my tiny bathroom while my DH watches.  no joke.  :)

#72 of 76 Old 02-12-2014, 02:51 PM

^^^Sounds like he heard you call his name and decided to come out!

Since posting in this thread before my son has been born. My water didn't break until transition... and up until then my labor hadn't been as bad as most of my labor was with my daughter (when my water broke first thing). I'm told the amniotic sac provides a cushioning effect. With that in mind, I'll give serious thought to an epidural if I have another baby and my water breaks at the beginning of labor, because ouch. 

#73 of 76 Old 02-12-2014, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
First labor started with water breaking, second labor ended with water breaking (right before her head came out)! So, who knows this time? smile.gif

Anna: married to my best friend (12/2005), mommy to DD (10/2006) and DD (12/2008). Thrilled to be expecting our third and last sometime in October'14! It's a boy!
#74 of 76 Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 PM

My first child, they broke my water and had her three hours later. 

My second child i was in labor for 2 and a half hours then while getting out of the car my water broke. While walking to the back of the car he started crowning. I told my husband to feel and he looked, as he did our baby boy came out :) I had really painful battle wounds from him coming so fast though :(

#75 of 76 Old 02-13-2014, 04:49 PM

My water broke first in at least 5 out of my 6 births. With my last birth I wasn't really aware of my water breaking in advance but it was broken at the time of birth.

With my first birth I got a high break resulting in a slow trickle while I was at work at a maternity and baby clothes store. I was the closing manager so I had to stay and finish my shift. My water didn't fully break until the next morning. Here is his birth story: http://modernparentingbc.blogspot.com/2010/04/tales-felixs-birth-story.html

With the 2nd one my water broke in my sleep the middle of the night and my son was born 2 hours later. Here is his full birth story: http://modernparentingbc.blogspot.com/2010/04/tales-frankies-birth-story-just-in-case.html

For the next one my water also broke in the middle of the night but she was born 9 hours later. She was my first homebirth. The full birth story is here: http://modernparentingbc.blogspot.com/2010/04/tales-rebekahs-birth-story-unexpected.html

For the next one my husband requested that my water not break until after we had a good night's sleep around 6am. I laughed because obviously that's not something I can control. But, sure enough, my water broke at 5:45am. I woke my husband up at 6am and my daughter was born at 9am. Here is her birth story: http://modernparentingbc.blogspot.com/2010/04/tales-lillians-birth-story-shes-one-of.html

My husband now believing I could control when my water broke asked me one night that it not break between 9 and 10pm while his favorite show (24) was on. Unfortunately for him it broke at 9:30pm. My son was born at almost 3am. Here is his birth story: http://modernparentingbc.blogspot.com/2010/05/tales-jacks-birth-story-you-better-work.html

The last birth I remember thinking my water broke but there was no dramatic gush, more like a slow trickle. Contractions started the next morning just before 6am and my son was born at 9am. Birth story here: http://modernparentingbc.blogspot.com/2012/06/tales-lukes-birth-story.html

#76 of 76 Old 02-21-2014, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Mine broke before contractions started with all three. Big unmistakable gush with all of them. All three times it was around 5:00AM when moving around in bed, and all three times it was on a bed obtained less than a month previously, which I suppose is kind of funny. There's a reason I have bed pads on my shopping list this time around! Or maybe I'll just sleep in Depends after 36 weeks or so.

In one case I'd say I was in active labor 6 hours later - occasional painful contractions before that, but no real pattern. With the second, it was more like 12 hours (I'm pretty sure there were psychological factors at play there, as I started having regular contractions immediately after discussing some fears with DH). With the third, it started up pretty much right away. 

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page