Did YOUR water break first? Share your funny/not so funny stories here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 76 Old 01-28-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mine never did, I was told that my amniotic fluid was low and had an induction via pitocin (not an ideal situation but that was the only intervention we had.) It was kind of rushed after that. My birth went really well and all was well. How about you? Did your water break?

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#2 of 76 Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My water with DD1 and DD2 started before labor.  With DD1, it was a slow leak and confirmed at doc... leading to induction... poo.

DD2, I was nursing DD1 for a nap and pop... there it goes, labor started very slowly after that and I had a successful (and quick) homebirth.

DS water broke one contraction before he was born..... it was while I was pushing and it was instant relief.  

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 76 Old 01-28-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mine broke with DD which started my labour. It was Sunday evening and I had set up my mat leave from work to begin the following day (I was also planning to shop for baby supplies, had an appt to get a haircut and a pedicure to pamper myself before baby came). I got up from sitting and felt a "pop", rushed to the bathroom as the water started coming out while swearing profusely and saying "this isn't supposed to happen!". DD was born about 8 hours later, at home. She was officially 37 weeks +1, the cutoff for homebirth here is 37 weeks so I suppose she knew what she was doing, she just didn't share her plan with us!

chestera likes this.
#4 of 76 Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Mine broke on a Friday night at 10pm after having been up since 6am and having walked 5 miles that day in efforts to get labor going... I was 40+5 and sick of being pregnant.... i just wish it would have broken in the morning so I had energy for labor. My labor started right away and went 22 hours. 

#5 of 76 Old 01-28-2014, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yep, with both kids my water breaking was the first sign of labor. It happened in bed both times, but luckily it was a slow leak rather than a big burst.

My DH cracked up because I was slow and lumbering most of the time by that point in pregnancy, but when my water broke, even though I was sound asleep, WHAM, I was on my feet and running to the bathroom within half a second! lol.gif

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#6 of 76 Old 01-29-2014, 02:16 PM

My water did break first. I didn't have a single contraction. I was taking a nap in the afternoon and as I rolled over in bed it was like a balloon pop! Lol. Then I still didn't have any contractions for 6 hours! It was so weird.

Wife to dh_malesling.GIF ; Mama to A (M/C at 16wks 2011) angel1.gif and love-of-my-life DD M (BORN May 2012) luxlove.gif and S (M/C at 7wks June 2013) angel1.gif and rainbow1284.gif Rainbow Baby due in April 2014 3rdtri.gifjoy.gif
h20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif
#7 of 76 Old 01-29-2014, 02:40 PM

Yes! At a Mexican restaurant! At the classes they said it only happens in public like that very rarely! (Except in the movies!!)
Viola P likes this.
#8 of 76 Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 PM

In my 6 births not once did my water break before labor began. It was usually minutes before baby was born and with 2 happened as baby was coming out. Always though it would be neat to have it happen though as long as labor began shortly after.

ME lady.gif + DH tiphat.gif = heartbeat.gif Parents to DD1 (12) photosmile2.gif   DD2 (9) blahblah.gif  DS1 (7) angel2.gif  DS2 (6) & DS3 (4) fencing.gif

DS4(1) jog.gif Expecting DD3 (7-14) stork-girl.gif 

#9 of 76 Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 PM

Yes. IDK if agreeing to a membrane strip made it more likely? But it was 2 days later, 40+2. I was watching something funny on YouTube. It was a big surprise!

With my first, I never noticed & with my second it only happened as I was pushing.
#10 of 76 Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Mine broke with both of mine at around 4 am or so, and was the beginning of labor for me.  Well, I guess there were things going on before, but I thought it was just gas.

#11 of 76 Old 01-29-2014, 07:07 PM

Mine broke before having contractions (well, I'd had a couple random ones earlier in the day, but nothing regular). I was lying on the couch watching TV and felt this *pop* and booked to the bathroom, which was only a few steps away. Now I'm thinking I should walk around with a towel in case I'm further from the bathroom than that, or something. 

#12 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 AM

No, I started having strong contractions and was fully dilated, my midwife had already arrived before it broke. It ended up breaking during a contraction, and IMMEDIATELY after that I felt the strong urge to push and baby arrived within an hour!
#13 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mine broke when I was pushing my daughter out! I'm interested to see how it happens this time around :-)

#14 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 10:57 AM

Mine broke while I was sitting on the couch watching my husband hook up the DVD player so we could watch a natural childbirth video!

Amanda

#15 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 AM

I had been having occasionally regular rushes for a week and a half when labour started in earnest at 6:30 am. My water broke between 7 and 7:30.
#16 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 AM

Mine broke first for both pregnancies.  My water broke for my son's birth as I was nursing his 17-month-old sister to sleep.  I put her down and had the baby while she slept soundly!  

chestera likes this.
#17 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 11:02 AM

Apparently I was in labor for three days and didn't know it.  First baby. On the third day I was walking very slow, back pain and baby was kicking more than usual.  I started leaking but still wasn't sure what was going on. Came home from work and called the doctor and they said to just trot on down to the hospital and let them have a look.  I was scheduled for a mandatory c-section in 7 days and even then, the surgery was a week before due date. My husband and I took our time, I munched on a brownie and we meandered to the hospital. When we got there, we were given a gown and sent to a room and as I was putting it on ... water all over the place. Things picked up after that as I went into full labor and had to wait on my surgery thanks to that delicious brownie that I ate.  It was a crazy, wonderful, funny, experience and cuddling with my son (who had decided he wanted to see the world that very day) was the most amazing conclusion.

#18 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 AM

I think I had a high leak with dd1 as I'm pretty sure I didn't pee in the tub but something came out. 

With dd2 water broke as I was pushing (not sure if MW broke it or if it happened on it's own).

Kailey 8.1.06 Midwife - Hospital

Nola 3.20.09  Midwife - Homebirth

EDD 7.12.14 New Midwives -  Outdoor Homebirth w/ a Team Green baby!

33 weeks

#19 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 AM

Mine didn't break until my baby was almost crowning. Apparently I had very thick membranes, or so my midwife said. :) What was weird though was that the amniotic sack actually emerged unbroken and as I reached down to feel what was going on I broke my own water. We were in a birthing tub though so I couldn't say how much fluid there was but I can say it was a disconcerting experience as I'd never heard of such a thing happening.

#20 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 AM

Twice.  With my first I was 31 weeks when it broke at 4:30 in the morning.  Got the usual "Oh it was probably pee, put a pad in and call us in an hour" when I called L&D but decided to go up anyway; surprise, it was amniotic fluid.  Ended up delivering at 8 that night despite their best efforts to keep him in for another 3 weeks, he came home 37 days later after a fairly uneventful NICU stay with no lasting effects.

With my 3rd I was 39+4 weeks and thoroughly done with being pregnant.  I was walking to my car after work and ran into a coworker I don't see very often and we got to chatting.  She asked when I was due and I said "Saturday, but if he decided to come sooner than that, that'd be great.  Like today, today would be super," and BAM, my water broke.  It was actually another 28 hours before he arrived, but it was before Saturday!

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#21 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 11:11 AM

I was induced for no reason that made sense to me for Child 1, they had to break my water.

For baby 2, I chose a home birth. I had a slow water leak which was my first indication labor had started. When I gave birth he was still in his water bag and my midwife peeled it back as he came out, she said it represents prosperity.

For my 3rd, my water broke then labor started.
#22 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 11:14 AM

With my second child I spent some time labouring (hiding from the over zealous resident) in the shower in my delivery room. I came out only when my body wanted me to push and I had thought my water had broken. My awesome nurse checked and I was still intact. She encouraged me to follow my urges and if I needed to push then to go for it. The resident came in, stepped over to put on gloves and I started to push. On my second push my water broke, shooting across the room and splashing off the wall where just moments before the resident had been standing. Apparently it was one of the most remarkable water breakages witnessed by anyone in the room. Even my squeamish husband thought it was impressive.

Two pushes later my beautiful baby girl was born.
#23 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

My story is hilarious! The morning I went into labor I woke at 6 just unable to sleep. I got up and toyed around on the internet before climbing back into bed with my then-boyfriend (he's now my husband). Anyway, I decided to get a little frisky and had WAY too much fun :wink As I was climbing back into bed post-DTD, I felt a pop. I climbed back off the bed and stood up straight and it just gushed out. My now-sleeping boyfriend jumped up as I screamed my water broke. 

It was hilarious to us after the fact. Definitely a story we said we will never share with our son LOL Can you imagine that? "Honey, mommy's water broke after she and daddy finished doing the deed" LOL Hilarious!

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Atlanta, GA
Expecting #2 in Dec 2014

I blog: allthingsandlife.blogspot.com
#24 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 11:38 AM

With my daughter mine broke way before I had any signs of labor. I was at my high school getting some paperwork and swore I peed myself at about noon. I walked around and went home for about 4-5 hours continuously peeing myself. Swearing off pregnancy and pissed off and said I'd have an induction if I couldn't stop peeing myself. Then I realized if I hadn't drank any fluids, I very well couldn't be peeing. Called the midwife, said it was probably my water and to come in to get checked. Sure enough, contractions started about an hour or two later.

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFdelayedvax.gifcrochetsmilie.gif               luxlove.gif Happily married 06/2013 love.gif       bouncy.gif DD1 (S) 04/2012  waterbirth.jpg

candle.gif missed mc 04/2013 at 9 weeks candle.gif              stork-suprise.gif Due 09/2014 belly.gif

#25 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 11:53 AM

Oh, yes.  My water broke first.  I was on bed rest, and about 8 months along.  I went downstairs to eat a bowl of fruit loops, walked all the way back up the stairs, and decided to go back to bed (it was 5:20 am).  As soon as I was in bed, and comfortable, I felt a lot of water gushing.  I thought maybe I was having an accident (I had heard that babies can kick your bladder, and cause you to pee!).  I ran to the bathroom, and made it in time for all amniotic fluid to go where it needed to go!!!!  :)  I was really proud of that fact (and still am), not that I had any control over what happened, whatsoever.  LOL!  I was so thankful that I wasn't in a store, or anywhere in public.  I also then realized that amniotic fluid cannot be contained very well at all, as we rode over an hour to the hospital of my choice.  When I got there, they actually said, "Well, we have to test to make sure it's amniotic fluid."  I was thinking, "I don't know what on earth this is, if it's not amniotic fluid, because it just keeps running!"  Too many details?  Maybe, but it was a funny experience.  It was the best part of my birth experience, anyway.    

#26 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Yes it did! And boy was I trying. My daughter had been in the birth canal for three painful weeks. And that whole time I was in "latent labor". I walked in the pool every night in hopes of relieving the pressure, and breaking my water. I only wish I'd had the foresight to do this in the morning (which I was afraid to do because DH couldn't be there with me and I was terrified I'd fall in the pool alone). My water broke at 7pm, which meant I put myself in labor all night long, as she wasn't born until 6:40 the next morning.

#27 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 02:29 PM

Mine did! It was so backwards...nothing like I read in Ina May Gaskins stories. Lol.

10a: woke up and stood out of bed...and splash. I'm talking soaked PJs.

3:30p: felt some minor contractions. If my water hadn't broke, I wouldn't have suspected labor...they were that mild.

4:30p: acupuncture to get things going and boy did they. Breathing through the contractions.

6p: attempting to have dinner out at a burger joint. Water kept leaking majorly since the morning. I was wearing huge pads and water just kept coming.

6:30p: attempt to walk to walk 15 or so blocks home but was hanging on to a post in front of every other brownstone. Took gypsy can from a corner to home.

7p: made it home but starting to lose it so DH calls doula.

7:30p: doula arrives. Get in shower as tub isn't felled yet. Go through transition. Puked twice. DH said it was a turning point because my color came back. Apparently I was looking pretty ghostly.

8p: in tub. Midwife and assistant arrive. Per eye contact with the doula, midwife tells doula to tell me to push if I feel the urge.

10:11p: baby girl was born!

11p: toasting with champagne. Breastfeeding. Doula is spoon feeding me yogurt.

3a: everyone is gone

It was an awesome birth but it fully took me by surprise. It was much faster than I anticipated and my water broke well before I felt any contractions.
chestera likes this.
#28 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 05:09 PM

My water broke first with both of my previous deliveries and I'm hoping to experience a more "cushioned" labor this time around!
#29 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Mine always broke in late active labor. The second baby it broke twice, 2 layers of sac. Once as I started pushing and the second time as my midwife helped hold the last bit of cervical lip out of the way, yep splashed all over her!

#30 of 76 Old 01-30-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philothea View Post

My water did break first. I didn't have a single contraction. I was taking a nap in the afternoon and as I rolled over in bed it was like a balloon pop! Lol. Then I still didn't have any contractions for 6 hours! It was so weird.

I had a similar experience except after 48 hours my contractions STILL did not start. I heard the loud pop noise, too! So weird.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page