Traveling 1.5 hr for birth center History of 3 hr labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-31-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had homebirths with #1 and #2.  With #1, my active labor was about 7 hours--that includes nearly 3 of that being pushing b/c she had a nuchal hand.
 With #2 (only 18 months after the first birth), my midwife "induced" me by breaking my water (i was 10 days overdue).  Active labor started right away and lasted a little less than 3hrs.

This time, I'm not sure we're up for a homebirth.  If we decide not to do a homebirth, there are 2 birth centers, an hour and half from my house.  Traffic is unlikely, but not impossible.  The hospitals near me don't have midwives and pretty much exclusively have large OB practices, so finding a natural birth friendly OB means just happening to give birth when they are there.

So...considering my quick birth history, would you risk traveling for 1.5+ hours to get the birth location/professionals you want?  To be clear, we aren't currently pregnant and would likely be having another baby 6-7 years after the birth of #2.  (in the next 2-3 years)

student momma to two great girls

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

If I were getting pretty dilated beforehand I'd see if I could stay somewhere closer, maybe at a vacation home for a week, though I'd rather just homebirth.

#3 of 3 Old 02-01-2014, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

An hour and a half of labor in a car sounds like a nightmare, to say nothing of the thought of having a baby in the car. If your water was artificially broken and labor only lasted 3 hours, I'd maybe think about doing that again; that doesn't sound like too bad a deal. Alternately, if you end up going to a closer hospital (either by plan, or if you go into labor before your induction and don't want to travel that far), it doesn't sound like you'll be there long enough for anyone to try to do anything too interventive to your labor (and if they do ask, you always have the option of saying no, or saying "my last two births were really fast, let's wait and see if that's necessary).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page