I'm anxious about having third natural labor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-06-2014, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know all of the reasons why I WANT a natural labor for my third baby. Its all the same reason that I chose natural for my first two babies. 

My labors are shorter than most, but insanely intense... I don't feel like I can do it again. This is how i felt during my second pregnancy, as my first labor was EXTREMELY hard, and I hit a major brick wall during transition, but I just took my second labor as it came and made it through without intervention. It was however equally difficult in different ways and the recovery was traumatic and i had a PP hemorrhage and passed out from blood loss. Eck. not fun to think about. 

And, that delivery was only 10 months ago! I (the most fertile human being on the face of the earth my DP jokes) conceived very fast, and I don't feel i have had adequate time to heal from my labor both physically and emotionally/spiritually. I am having so much anxiety about facing another labor. I find myself considering an epidural... but deep down its not what i want. I am just scared, and a little worried my body won;t handle it well since i haven't healed. 

But its not something i can stop! the baby is coming and i cant change that. theres only one way out. which is why i'm freaking out. meh. help.gif 

#2 of 7 Old 02-07-2014, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I think it's perfectly normal to be anxious about giving birth, especially when you know what to expect. That intensity can be scary. I would encourage you to give yourself permission to see how you feel when you are in labor and decide what you want to do then. There's a chance this labor could be different from the last two. Perhaps listening to some meditations would help. I found that relaxing when I was pregnant. I hope you have a great healthy birth!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 7 Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I agree with pokey about giving yourself permission to see how you feel when you're in labor. I'm not sure about your reasons for not wanting an epidural since you didn't state them here, so I can't address any specific things about it, but I can tell you my personal experience with it and that is that it really helped me during the delivery of my daughter. One of my deliveries was all natural, and the pain was quite traumatic and I still don't like to think about the delivery. With my other daughter, I got an epidural about halfway through the labor. Before that, the pain was very, very intense, and getting the epidural helped relax me and turned the whole thing into a very peaceful experience.

#4 of 7 Old 02-19-2014, 01:45 PM

Have you considered having a doula?  I think having one is vital for all births, but short and super intense can so easily feel like you're dying or something horrible is going wrong!  As a doula I've been with moms who had less than an hour of labor and still felt I was the reason they survived with their sanity.  You really might want to get yourself a really supportive doula this time around.  ALSO - a great book to work through these feelings with is Birthing From Within.  I highly recommend it.  You don't have to do any of the activities, but it really does help you mentally and emotionally prepare.  Best wishes for this coming baby!!!

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#5 of 7 Old 06-07-2014, 07:14 PM

I had this same fear with my 3rd. Labors are crazy intense, hard and fast. I was very anxious about it, and yet desired to give a natural birth for my third as I had my other 2.

He was born three days ago, naturally and fast as the others. The time came and while the fear was still there my body did what it had to and so did I. My DH was super supportive and that support was crucial.

Also, something to think about. One nurse asked if I'd had any meds and the one who attended my birth laughed and said it wouldn't matter if I'd taken anything because he would've come too soon for them to have an effect. It helped me, even after the fact, to know I'd made the choice right for me.

Not sure that this ramble post will help you, just trying to say it will be ok! No matter what you choose or do.
#6 of 7 Old 06-08-2014, 06:28 AM

ok, just trying to say it will be ok! No matter what you choose or do.thanks
#7 of 7 Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ugh. Me, too and I'm not even pregnant yet. Births are fast and painful; it's unlikely I'd have time for an epidural, but it's seriously on my mind... With my second I had fetal ejection reflex (like vomiting a baby out of your vagina) and it was so unpleasant. However, at the same time, though fast and painful, my births have been straightforward and uncomplicated, recovery the same, (knock on wood,) so I should probably stop looking the gift horse in the mouth...

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page