on discovery health - natural birth on tv (birth day) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am watching a show right now on Discovery Health Channel about a woman giving birth naturally. In the birthing center she is at, they gave pain meds to about 5 out of 250 births, and no epidurals....they send those to hospitals. They are making a lot of really good comments about natural birth practices. Thought some of you might be interested.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#2 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 03:42 PM

What birth center?
#3 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

no idea...I wasn't paying THAT much attention. It was a little red brick building that looked sort of like a house...seemed like a hilly neighboorhood...san fransisco like. They showed them hanging a "it' a girl" flag out after the birth under the birthing center flag thing.

eta:

I was completely off base...the site says the birth center in Philadelphia. episode link

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#4 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 04:21 PM

its so great to see a normal, natural birth on tv. so many pregnant women see these shows, and the way birth is portrayed on these shows makes it look like a medical emergency. i know they usually do high risk stuff b/c it is more exciting, but still. these tv shows are the only birth resource for lots of women, so its great to see normal birth!! yaaay!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#5 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 04:34 PM

That was The Birth Center in Bryn Mawr, PA. Many mamas from these boards have had their little ones there.
#6 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 04:44 PM

I saw that episode twice when I was pg, it actually helped convince DP that birth center and HB are better, after he saw a bunch of standard hosp. births. Today there was a birth center water birth and a home water birth on TLC, both in a row. I'd seen both before but it was refreshing to see them in a row. I'm planning to apply to be on A Baby Story with my next. Sure it will suck to have the cameraman there, but I think of it as birth activism.
L
#7 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 05:44 PM

That's not too far from me, actually closer than the BC I had my son at! (That was The Birth Center of Delaware).
#8 of 9 Old 04-28-2004, 05:49 PM

Go Lauren! They started asking around my birth center in NYC for that show right after my first was born. I probably would have done it too. I hate tuning into that show and only seeing epidurals/hospitals/elective c-sections.
#9 of 9 Old 05-01-2004, 12:48 AM

In June the Discovery Channel is going to air a series called "Amazing Births." I just put a page about it on my web site (if this link doesn't work, do a search on Yahoo on "Amazing Births" and you should see it).

http://ucbirth.com/amazingbirths.htm

In Canada I believe it's airing on Discovery Health. Some of the births will be reinacted and others show actual footage. All of the births took place outside the hospital (in cars, planes, buses, the ocean, etc.). Should be interesting!
Laura

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page