Naturally Inducing... at 37/38? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-09-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I am trying to explore my options. A little background, I am 34w5d pregnant with my first and other than morning sickness that lasted until 23 weeks, I have enjoyed a very fit and healthy pregnancy. My normally 90s/60s blood pressure is now hovering around the 140/90 cutoff and I'm on the verge of a pre-e diagnosis. Obviously the health of both me and my baby take precedence but I am hanging onto hope for my beautiful water birth.

I am hoping that if it comes to my MWs setting a non-emergency induction date that I can naturally induce my labor at home prior to it and arrive at the hospital for a completely natural birth as we had previously planned.

My question is, does anyone have experience naturally inducing labor before going over due? Any and all experience and opinions would be much appreciated.

belly.gifGoing to be a mama! stork-girl.gif March '14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I will start by saying, you can try everything under the sun, but if a baby isn't ready he just won't come!
That being said, I have spent countless hours researching this very topic, even more hours trying all the stuff, and a whole bunch of stinkin money!
So what actually worked for me was different every time.
#1) I had a 38 week internal exam, went home and ate egg plant parm. My water broke a few minutes after I finished eating. IDK if it was the internal, the eggplant or the combination...
#2) I had sooo much prodromal labor I was 5 cm at 33 weeks, I ended up having her at 36w6d. They finally induced me, they couldn't decide if my water had a slow leak or not, one test said yes the next said no... so who knows!
#3) I was induced with him as well. None of my tricks could coax him out.
#4) oh I was determined to go into labor on my own. I tried pretty much everything, what finally worked was I cleaned my house pretty heavy duty that day, then around 4 pm I put on a rubber glove squirted EPO on my fingers and stripped my own membranes. Then ate a plate of pasta loaded with oregano. I think I pretty much laid around all evening and went into labor that night. He was born one day before his due date...

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#3 of 8 Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would not recommend attempting to induce naturally before your time - it is not likely to do anything significant for you...and might just add a lot of stress to your already stressful situation.  However, pressure points could work - there is some good information on how to do them...but they even warn not to attempt it before 40 weeks.  Fetal position often plays into when the baby is born so you might want to take a serious look at the spinningbabies website:  spinningbabies.com I understand that evening primrose oil can help labor to get started but I highly recommend you only use it externally and avoid swallowing it or using it as a suppository as it can have a very strong effect and I think can sometimes cause bleeding???  Not sure on that one.  Red raspberry leaf tea is a natural toner for the uterus and female system - I recommend that all my doula clients consider it...and I have seen plenty of cases where it did seem to help labor get going when taken at the onset of labor.  Some midwives will have moms drink lots of it in early labor.  As to medical inducing...I have had a lot of good experiences using a breast-pump to augment labor once kick-started with pitocin...and a TENS unit can also be helpful to keep pitocin levels very low during an induction.  You have to have a doctor that is ok with these and you have to research so you know what you're doing and why and what the risks can be.  As a doula I have seen these types of things work well for some moms...and do absolutely nothing for others!  Best wishes for a healthy and happy birth!!!  Also, this may seem like a plug for my own...but I'm more convinced all the time that having a doula is a huge help in getting the birth you're wanting, hospital or home.

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
#4 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 09:33 AM

EPO has never caused bleeding for me. I used it religiously for the last month or so. I really don't think it induces. Its more along the lines of RRLT, it just prepares you for labor. My cervix was nice and soft from using it. Then when labor finally *did* start, it was really quick and easy because my cervix was ready and willing! Especially if they want to medically induce, the EPO will cause the cervix to respond, reducing the likelihood of c-section.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

#5 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I imagine that there may be several threads about pre-eclampsia on this site.  Have you done a search?  I wonder if there are other things you can do to reduce the trend towards pre-e.  Does your MW have any experience/advice?  Maybe that blood pressure can be kept in check and baby kept safe long enough for labor to start when baby is ready?

In regards to induction - if I had to induce (pre-eclampsia would definitely be a good reason) I would work with an experienced acupuncture practitioner.  There are a couple near me who would even attend the birth and help keep things moving along.  $$$ is definitely an issue for us, but I would ask for help with $$ before doing pitocin or other meds.  (just sharing my personal approach . .. no judgement for other approaches)

#6 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have worried that nothing will work because my body wont be ready but I'd be willing to try anything if I'm going to end up with pit anyway. I am really hoping to still avoid induction as my bp was still the same at my last appointment. Yay!  Acupuncture is something I will have to look into. I have heard so much about it helping others. I've been obsessed with making sure baby is in the optimal position in the meantime, which I think she is. Thank you so much for the advice on EPO. I think I will give it a try and just watch closely.

belly.gifGoing to be a mama! stork-girl.gif March '14
#7 of 8 Old 02-14-2014, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Accupuncture is something you can do now to help prepare cervix and get baby to drop. You can also do chiro to help with optimal positioning. You need to make sure your cervix has thinned, then you might be able to ask your midwife to sweep your membranes to induce labour once you've reached term. Some midwives are willing to do this at 37/38 weeks, some are not.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

#8 of 8 Old 02-15-2014, 05:30 PM

My OB swept my membranes at 39 weeks and it didn't work. So it can be worth a try, but still not gauranteed

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page