What position did you give birth in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 02-13-2014, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was supine but moving around during my birth. Thinking back on it, that doesn't make sense, but 20/20 hind site and alla that. The last two births I was fortunate to standing in the tub, both times.

So what position were you in when you gave birth?

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#2 of 57 Old 02-13-2014, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Semi-reclined for all six. Always my choice, that is just the position I gravitate to. Never had any problems pushing either.

#3 of 57 Old 02-13-2014, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

On my back for all 3.  first in the hospital with an epidural.  Other 2 at home, my choice, although, if I were to have another, I may try squatting or kneeling.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 57 Old 02-13-2014, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
In between a squat and semi reclining with the first.

Between kneeling on all 4s and standing with the 2nd. Thank goodness DH and the MW were good at catching on the fly!

I guess I move around a lot just as the baby is about to emerge. : )
Debbie S likes this.
#5 of 57 Old 02-13-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kneeling with my torso upright with my first one (supporting myself on the bedrails with my hands.) Hands and knees with the second one. 

Debbie S likes this.
#6 of 57 Old 02-13-2014, 05:59 PM

My first was on my back - by far the hardest birth for me. The second I was laying on my side to start, then my DH helped me into a more reclined position. My third (born last week! :joy) I pushed her head out kneeling with my body upright (just like what erigeron just described) and shifted to all fours to push the rest of her body out. With my first two I had some serious health issues and found that I didn't have the strength or stamina to get myself upright on my own, so this last birth was really exciting and empowering for me. I say whatever position feels best and allows your particular body to work most effectively; I really liked the aid of gravity in this last birth.

Debbie S likes this.
#7 of 57 Old 02-13-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A mix of semi sit and side lying. Sounds awkward but that's how I ended up!

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#8 of 57 Old 02-18-2014, 08:10 PM

1st--On hands and knees in birth tub.

2nd--Squatting with the aid of a birth stool. Baby came out really fast.

3rd--Squatting with the aid of a birth stool. Baby came out super fast again. In fact, my midwife (same all 3 times) remarked afterward that, hindsight being 20/20, she actually should probably have had me get in a position where the baby didn't fly out so fast, as it would have been more comfortable for me and possibly would have led to less hemorrhaging (I bled pretty heavily after all 3, but especially after the 3rd).

Happily married for 9 years. 8 year old son, 6 year old daughter, 4 year old daughter.
#9 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 PM

My first I was on my hands and knees in the water. My second I was squatted on the side of my bed.
Debbie S likes this.
#10 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 12:18 PM

Two of my three were born on a birth stool, much easier for me.  The first was born in the good 'ole (not) flat on my back position.

Mothering an Autumn (08) , a Spring (11) , and another Autumn! (Nov. 2013)

Taking what works and leaving the rest

#11 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 PM

first on my back in the hospital. it was way too much pushing (2 hours) second on hands and knees in the birth tub at home. much easier (15 minutes of pushing baby was 2lbs bigger than the first!)

Mama to  Hadley (2/10) energy.gif& Sawyer (1/13) babyboy.gif familybed1.gif

#12 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 PM

On my back with my first two both hospital births, if I had been left alone with my second I probably would have been standing or squatting, my 3rd sitting, sort of and my 4th on my hands and knees, last two born at home, freebirth.
#13 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 01:29 PM

For my first two I was on all fours. For my last I was upright on my knees and leaning forward on a stool on our bed... it was great because I was able to catch her myself and pulled her right up close to me. Both positions went great, but there were some acrobatics involved with moving from all fours to seated after the first two deliveries (before the placenta was out, so baby was still "attached" to me). Highly recommended! I had the first in a midwife birth center and the last two at home :joy

#14 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 01:51 PM

I squatted for most of my pushing, but I was tiring, so my midwife suggested I push on my hands and knees. That's how I delivered. smile.gif
#15 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 02:34 PM

Toilet baby! I squatted/stood during delivery. It was nice to be able to sit between pushes. Glad the midwives suggested it!
Lyn Doering likes this.

With DW partners.gif, DD1peace.gif(15), & DD2guitar.gif(11) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 ecbaby2.gif6/21/13. We familybed1.gif, I bftoddler.gif and I'm a total treehugger.gif.  Family of five females! grouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifLOVE makes a family.             M/C candle.gif 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
#16 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM

First:

Lying on my side in a bed. I pushed hard (45 mins), did tear and had a small hemorrhage.

Second:

I started out hands and knees, then when my midwives reminded me that I wanted to catch the baby myself, switched to kneeling on the bed while leaning forward on my partner's body, so I had my hands free to catch the baby. I pushed for 3 mins only, tried to pant to avoid pushing for some of that, and had very slight tears - less serious than the first time - and insignificant blood loss.

I avoided standing or squatting to push after reading that it may make tears more likely / more severe.

34 yo mom of boy #1 (Spring 2009), baby #2 is here! (Jan 2014)

2nd generation co-sleeper and extended breastfeeder, grateful to my mom for

letting me witness homebirth as a little girl and giving me confidence in my ability to birth normally.

#17 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 03:31 PM

First 4 born in the hospital on my back. 5th at home, hands and knees. This one will be in the hospital but Dr is fine with me using hands and knees/squatting/standing on knees.

Cassandra - Mama to Anthony, Ephram, Avalea, Chaiya, Elijah and due with #6 3/2014

#18 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
First one was lying kinda on my side with one knee on the drop down step of a hospital bed with DH and the midwife holding my other leg up. Looked weird I'm sure! Second was at home on hands and knees one the steps up to our master bath. Dh & the doc were both thrilled to not have to catch on their knees!
#19 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 PM

First one in the hospital with a doula and midwives, somehow still ended up in Semi Lithotomy with people holding my legs. Pushing took FOREVER. :/  For the second and third I started pushing while on hands and knees in tub, then just knees, then finished in a squat (SO much relief each time  I moved to a squat)

#20 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 04:43 PM

Squatting all 3 times ....in a gentle birth pool. Gravity rules! Never had an urge to push. Breathed the babies out with the help of gravity.
#21 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 PM

Supine in a hospital bed. They literally had to drag me to the bed LOL. I transitioned kneeling on the floor at the foot of the bed, so I imagine I would naturally have squatted if left to my own devices. I only pushed for 30 minutes though, FTM, which wasn't awful given the positioning.

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
#22 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 07:37 PM

First one was lying on my left side, I was too exhausted for anything else. Second 2 were kneeling leaning over something - #2 was my water birth so I was leaning over the the tub, #3 was an home birth (no midwife, she didn't believe me when I told her things were picking up) and I ended up kneeling in front of the toilet holding on to the bathtub and my husband caught the baby from behind. Kneeling was great, less than 10 minutes pushing with #2 and about 15 minutes with #3.

#23 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 PM

I was in our bed, on my hands and knees.  I'd tried to labor in the pool we rented, but I was the first to use this particular pool, and the circumference wasn't as large as their previous pools.  I wasn't able to stretch my legs out entirely straight, which was what I needed to do, so I left the pool and went to our bedroom.  (Of course, I had an old fitted sheet on top of a couple of shower curtains on top of another fitted sheet on the bed.)  With the incredible help of our CNM, doula, my husband and 2 best friends, our little guy arrived right where he was made!  It was a hugely empowering and incredible experience.

homebirth.jpg

#24 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

1: On my back with an epidural

2: unplanned, unassisted on the toilet at home, any other place intolerable (really rough 2 hour labor, posterior baby, broken water)

3: planned home birth with midwife, on the toilet at home, any other place totally intolerable, spent about 5 minutes in birthing tub (really rough 2 hour labor, posterior baby, broken water)

#25 of 57 Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 PM

!) supported squat , 15 minutes pushing and it seemed to last forever even though we timed it

2) standing up, three pushes total ... the first to crown him, the second for his enormous shoulders and the third for the rest of his body ... gravity really does help

Both in the hospital with my much loved CNM catching. No Iv, no drugs and no cuts.
#26 of 57 Old 02-20-2014, 12:37 AM

First with epidural (could not move my legs) on semi reclined on my back, 

second and third on my side with someone holding my upper leg up. :) I am like turtle on her back giving birth, cannot.move.at.all. I would have loved to try a birth stool or to get on all fours, I really don't know how you ladies do this ...  :bow

Trin with DH , DD(7)  and DS(5) ,  DD(2) ,
I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...
#27 of 57 Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 AM

I have unassisted births, so I get to do whatever I want to. Both were born kneeling on hands and knees on the floor.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#28 of 57 Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 AM

1. On back in birthing center with 2 hours directed pushing (did turn to all fours briefly, MW and doula said it would help baby navigate past my pubic bone). I was way too tired to be in any other position--I was wiped!

2. At home standing. I conserved energy better during this labor. During active labor I stood up leaning over overstuffed chair in living room during every contraction, then sat in between to rest. Husband's hands putting pressure on my low back gave me relief. 3 involuntary pushes and she was out! MW did ask me in between last two pushing contractions to relax my legs a little because the baby's head was getting smushed by my thighs. I was standing straight up with a head between my legs and didn't even know it! Truly was a standing birth as that was the position checked in the MW's birth report. I recommend everyone ask for a copy of the birth record! It's my favorite piece of paper. More proud of it than my college degrees!

***A thought with regard to positions...my midwives seemed to have no problem getting on their hands and knees to catch my baby. After all the work a laboring mother does, doesn't being on the floor seem like no big deal for a Dr or MW?
#29 of 57 Old 02-20-2014, 06:46 AM

I was on hands and knees for most of my labor then flipped onto my back during push time. Laying on my back helped (vaguely) with my back labor. I was surprised that was the position my body led me to!
#30 of 57 Old 02-20-2014, 07:17 AM

I was in a deep squat when my son was born. Sometimes I would rest on my hands and knees, or stand up to stretch my legs out if they were going numb. I pushed for two hours and fifteen minutes - my legs were so wobbly and shaky afterwards! But I wonder if it would have taken even longer had I been in a different position? So it was worth it.

I'm due in a few months with baby #2 and I'm hoping the pushing stage isn't as long/intense this time. A relaxing hands and knees position sounds nice :P

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page