What hurt more than labor for you? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#61 of 76 Old 05-02-2014, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Coming from the perspective of an epidural birth here-- but I did have labor for a few hours. ;-)

Physically what hurt the most was when I was in India and got very sick from a strain of flu. I felt that every bone and every muscle in my body was broken and I just wanted to go into a coma until it was over. They thought it was malaria, it was so bad, but it ended up just being a nasty strain of the flu.

Emotionally what hurt me the most was when my second baby needed to be tube-fed and suffered a lot for the first three years until we figured out what was going on with her. It was hard to not be able to participate with the very basic act of feeding your baby, and hurt even more that I could not comfort her through that difficult time.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#62 of 76 Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 PM

You know, for me, pain from something BAD (an injury, illness, or the like) has been what is worse. I had that lesson a couple weeks after a miscarriage when I suddenly got cramps that were like labor, but had a wrong bad terrible feeling to them that clearly telegraphed something was wrong, scary, and bad somewhere. Labor is not frightening like that; powerful cramping but healthy. It was almost the same feeling, cramping over an incomplete miscarriage, but the source was the difference.

So, anyway, that was more painful!
#63 of 76 Old 05-03-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colomomma View Post

Vaginal Exams during labor!!! Hurt way more than labor itself. If there is a next time for me, I am refusing.
haha i would agree!
#64 of 76 Old 05-03-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Gallbladder attacks. Labor pain is intense but comes in waves. The gallbladder attacks I experienced were relentless, and the pain would just build on itself until I thought I would go crazy from desperately needing relief and never getting it. When they finally injected heavy-duty IV pain meds after an 8-hour drive to the ER (long story), the pain disappeared instantly, and the relief I felt was incredible. It was immediately followed by overwhelming exhaustion, now that my body could finally relax.

I feel so terrible for people who live with chronic debilitating pain. It takes such an incredible toll on the body, physically and emotionally.
applejuice likes this.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#65 of 76 Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 PM

Hemorrhagic Dengue is the worst acute pain I've ever been in.  I had my babies at home in the water though, so maybe I would feel differently if I was in the hospital for a birth.  I recommend it!

#66 of 76 Old 05-05-2014, 09:02 AM

Oh my gosh, @aggiepop, that must have been horrendous!! How did you acquire dengue, and how long did the illness last?

Trigeminal neuralgia is another one that's worse than labor pain for me. Thankfully mine is episodic rather than chronic like some people experience, so when it flares up I know it'll only last a few days. But again, it's the relentlessness that wears me down. Every time my hair brushes my face, or a breeze touches my cheek, or I chew or brush my teeth ... pretty much everything sends an electric shock feeling throughout half my face -- it's really awful. I don't know how chronic sufferers manage.

#67 of 76 Old 05-05-2014, 03:06 PM

It's endemic here in the tropics : /  We have 2 strains (of 4 existing) and I got the worse one, unfortunately.  It lasted about 3 days of intense pain - I can't even describe how much it hurts - even the bottoms of your feet, so you can't walk without horrendous pain or lay in a bad.  Plus I had a 105.6 fever, so I was passing out all the time during that stage of it (febrile - there are 3 parts to the illness).  Then you get a 2-day respite and can take off your sunglasses for a little bit.  Then blood out of my nose and mouth and fluid trapped under my skin.  Platelets way down too.  The doctor had treated about 200 patients for it and I was only #2 to have the hemorrhagic version, he said.

Then I got stuck with post-dengue syndrome, which lasted about a year.  I think it cooked my brain- I couldn't remember anything or think how I used to and I was incredibly tired all the time.

Note though that I don't agree the release of the mutant male mosquitoes in Brazil.

I know what you mean about chronic illness - I have fibromyalgia - part of the reason we moved down here to the beach (water, heat are the best treatments I have found and it's much less than when I lived in the northeast, sometimes for days not being able to turn my head.  Has only happened once since relocating to warmer environment, so I'm grateful for being able to do that.  It is so grating to be in chronic pain though- I felt bad for my family because I got mad at them so easily when in pain.

I have a friend from high school who has trigeminal neuralgia (& MS).  It sounds terrible :(

Novocaine for a root canal was terrible as well.  Hopefully I won't ever need to do that again.

But maybe it sounds like I am comparing labor to these things- I'm not.  many things are more painful than labor to me.  That was just the MOST painful.

applejuice likes this.
#68 of 76 Old 05-05-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post

You know, for me, pain from something BAD (an injury, illness, or the like) has been what is worse. I had that lesson a couple weeks after a miscarriage when I suddenly got cramps that were like labor, but had a wrong bad terrible feeling to them that clearly telegraphed something was wrong, scary, and bad somewhere. Labor is not frightening like that; powerful cramping but healthy. It was almost the same feeling, cramping over an incomplete miscarriage, but the source was the difference.

So, anyway, that was more painful!

I agree.  I had one too (incomplete for a few days, at home).  The intense sorrow coupled with the labor was crushing in so many ways.

applejuice likes this.
#69 of 76 Old 05-05-2014, 05:36 PM

Oops, quoted when I meant to edit.

That sounds truly awful, aggie pop. I agree that the things I'm listing here are way, way beyond labor pain for me. As someone else said, labor pain is productive and has a whole different feel psychologically.
aggie pop likes this.

#70 of 76 Old 05-05-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Well I just had emergency sugery  yesterday and can honestly say that waking up in recovery was the worst pain of my life. I had abdominal surgery so they pumped my abdominal cavity full of gas and some of it got trapped between my liver and diaphram. I thought it was a heart attack, lots of morphine.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#71 of 76 Old 05-05-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm not sure I've experienced anything as intense and overwhelming as labor. But I think a lot of the pain was alleviated by the "end goal" of having a sweet babe in my arms soon- whereas with pain caused by various illnesses/injuries, I didn't KNOW the pain would ever end, per se. And I definitely didn't have as much of a reward at the end of the suffering. :p

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
#72 of 76 Old 05-06-2014, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Every time I get my mustache threaded, I swear it hurts way worse than labor.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#73 of 76 Old 07-06-2014, 02:41 PM

I've had pretty easy labors (aside from the breech extraction which hurt like hell but only for a few seconds). I would say many things have hurt worse than labor.

After pains
Root canal
Abscesses tooth
A bad flu
Strep throat
Pedicure
Nursing a noob that's not any good at nursing

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#74 of 76 Old 07-06-2014, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I agree many other things hurt way worse than labor. As bad as labor could get even with full on back labor and badly positioned babies and fast, hard births there was an amazing happy end goal I was getting closer and closer to with each pain. In some ways it was distracting from the pain... every time the pain got worse my mind was just focused on omg omg the baby's almost heeerrreee!!! It kept the intensity of the pain down when I kept realizing that after all those long months of pregnancy this was it! I was meeting my baby very soon. So yeah a lot of things are worse than that. I think the worst pain I've ever had though was an abcess on an impacted wisdom tooth. O. M. G. That was one time in my life that I truly wanted to die, take drugs, get run over by a bus, ANYthing to make it go away. Seriously if I'd experienced that kind of pain and not had children I'm not sure how well it would have went. I was calling my mom in tears at 2 am "why don't I know any drug dealers? Waaaaaaa"

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#75 of 76 Old 07-11-2014, 05:13 PM

Tooth pain and getting the tattoos on top of my feet. And my broken baby toe.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08 angel2.gif  and rainbow1284.gif Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again December 7th! baby.gif 
#76 of 76 Old 07-14-2014, 11:24 AM

Absolutely NOTHING! I honestly cannot imagine pain worse than labor. But I've never broken any bones, so maybe I'm just naive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page