What hurt more than labor for you? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

21Likes

#91 of 102 Old 01-05-2016, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Interesting thread!!

For me, I have two things that definitely hurt worse than labor.

1- my ectopic pregnancy, the referred pain from the internal bleeding before it ruptured. It was vomit-inducing pain. But then when it ruptured...it was so painfully I almost lost consciousness.
2- having to flush my infect dry socket after having my wisdom teeth removed.

No kidding. But I LOVE labor, and I really enjoy the process, so that probably makes a difference.
applejuice likes this.

Me (30) - DH (32) 12 years!
DD (9.5) ~ DD (7.5) ~ DS (5.5) ~ DS (2.5)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to 11 babies in Heaven
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 1babysmom; 01-05-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 102 Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've had periods worse than labor, in fact two months ago I fainted 3 times in one day because it was so painful. (I have large fibroids, one is very close to my cervix and I suspect that's the source of the pain)
My miscarriages were worse, not only does it feel like labor, but you get the horrible emotional pain on top of it.
The absolute worst was that after dd was born a piece of placenta stuck to a fibroid and caused a hemorrhage, my doctor had to reach inside and pry it away from the uterine wall. It was so painful I blacked out and don't really remember it, but dh said I was screaming like he had never heard anyone scream.
Natural birth was a walk in the park compared.
applejuice likes this.
#93 of 102 Old 01-07-2016, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
My bowel abscessed and then ruptured. The pain was intense and sharp and continuous. All I could do was scream my head off, and nothing they gave me even took the edge off. I wanted to die.

At least with labor it comes in waves. I had transition for 7 hours and labor for 21 hours. At first I was on top of each contraction but during the last hour I got sucked underneath, and instead of going with my body, I started fearing and dreading the next one. Instead of pain, it became suffering. It felt like torture. "No no no, not again" I would utter. Where up the that point I was wiggling fingers and toes chanting the word "Open" over and over. I caved and got a shot of fentanyl. It helped me get back on top again and I finally went the last cm. Birth is hard, and I joked about my husband shooting me, but i never wanted to die.
applejuice likes this.

Mama to L (7) and A (born 7/15 by VBAC)
#94 of 102 Old 01-07-2016, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
My bowel abscessed and then ruptured. The pain was intense and sharp and continuous. All I could do was scream my head off, and nothing they gave me even took the edge off. I wanted to die.

At least with labor it comes in waves. I had transition for 7 hours and labor for 21 hours. At first I was on top of each contraction but during the last hour I got sucked underneath, and instead of going with my body, I started fearing and dreading the next one. Instead of pain, it became suffering. It felt like torture. "No no no, not again" I would utter. Where up the that point I was wiggling fingers and toes chanting the word "Open" over and over. I caved and got a shot of fentanyl. It helped me get back on top again and I finally went the last cm. Birth is hard, and I joked about my husband shooting me, but i never wanted to die.
applejuice likes this.

Mama to L (7) and A (born 7/15 by VBAC)
#95 of 102 Old 02-28-2016, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nothing. Nothing in my life hurts worse than labor. And I have a disorder that makes bile, liver, and pancreatic enzyme back wash up into their respective organs and fry them. I have tattoos, piercings, and have had ither surgeries. I think maybe being mauled by a bear might be worse.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#96 of 102 Old 02-28-2016, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I actually don't remember much about my sons delivery pain wise as I was frozen from the feet to my ribs in case of emergency c section. He was also very small. I mostly remember keeping my eyes closed and trying to keep calm as my blood pressure was ridiculously and dangerously high and I had a doc behind my head muttering c section c section and so many people in the room I couldn't see the walls behind them. I had this weird idea that they were going to not catch my baby as it felt like he was going to fly out. I don't associate pain with the birth at all, I was very worried about the baby as they had put a monitor clip into his head and told me his blood pressure was plummeting (I think).

Miscarriages definitely are up there in sickening pain, I managed one by drinking hard liquor. I once hit my head on a steel pole and then my head hit a concrete floor when I was about 8, that was pretty bad, I had a concussion and no pain meds. Migraines - I had the first when I was 6 and I was screaming so much I scared my parents. The migraine of preeclampsia is terrifying. Spraining my ankle, folding the foot right over and falling on it. Ear infection and laryngitis at one time. Bashing my thumb with a brick and the nail falling off. Wisdom teeth. I fell face first off my bike fairly recently, it must have hurt but I think I went into shock, the most pain was in the hospital and a nurse/doctor pulled my split lip apart to clean it or inspect it, revolting revolting pain. Oh and I jarred my teeth in the fall, couldn't bite down for a while. Pap smear where the nurse kept scraping and scraping even until I was bleeding (I think there was something wrong with her), it took me a really long time before I could agree to another one. Mastitis and similarly an internal staph infection. I had the H1N1 thing, don't remember the pain just feeling wretched. My husband gets kidney stones and they seem terrible, my hubby has also dislocated his knee, sprained ankles, broken bones, and had a hernia.
#97 of 102 Old 02-29-2016, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I didnt shed a single tear during my natural birth. However, having the nurse reach in to strip the membranes...that brought tears. I can still feel that sensation if i think about it. That was by far more painful. Runner up would be silver nitrate applied without anesthetic to the 2nd degree tear that wouldn't heal, many tears.
#98 of 102 Old 03-01-2016, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Quoted: 2065 Post(s)
I smashed a finger once between two pieces of heavy metal. That hurt, and I screamed my head off.....it did not last anywhere near as long as labour (and my labours were short). In some ways it was worse because i did not know when it was going to end, it was continual and there was no baby at the end of it.

I have had some vicious leg cramps, including ones in the thigh. I remember my sister had a leg cramp in transition and stopped moaning to complain about the leg cramp.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#99 of 102 Old 03-02-2016, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I had a kidney infection as a young adult and that was much worse than labor. As I approached transition, labor was a little scary because I didn't have any control over what was happening, but I wasn't crying or screaming in pain. I knew from my natural birth classes that once I started feeling like I was losing control that I was almost done. Even feeling the infamous "ring of fire" was not that bad. I was so in the zone working to get my baby out that I didn't even pay attention to that feeling. And the great thing is once you get that feeling, very shortly after you're holding your little one in your arms, and you get that rush of good hormones. I didn't get a rush of good hormones when I peed during my kidney infection. Also, the mastitis and raw nipples the two weeks following the birth were worse than the labor. Thank goodness my husband knew how important breastfeeding was to me and brought in an infant cranio-sacral therapist to our house as well as a lactation consultant. That was life changing, I don't know if I could've pushed through that pain without support. Now I've been nursing for 13 months and I will soon be tandem nursing. Believe in the power of your bodies, ladies. I tell my friends that it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but not in a bad way. In an empowering way. Like completing a marathon.
#100 of 102 Old 03-02-2016, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nothing physically has ever hurt me more than labour. Back labour was the worst, I was doing okay until that kicked in. I was using mindful birthing techniques and it was really helping me until the dratted back started contracting. L4-L5 issues in my back to begin with! Hehe on a sort of funny note I did propose to the anaesthesiologist after caving and begging for an epidural. He told me he gets proposed to several times a month, at least
#101 of 102 Old 03-03-2016, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I had stones in my gall bladder and when I had "attacks" they were about 100 times worse than labor. The only time it came close was when a midwife wanted to fit an internal monitor and couldn't and accidentally pulled my cervix. It hurt like h-ll but only lasted a couple seconds.
#102 of 102 Old 03-18-2016, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Granted, birth is still way more painful tha I'd like, but its not going to be quite so bad this time because I am determined not to be so afraid and push myself into tearing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page