Breast/Bottle feeding babies with Down Syndrome - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-29-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello,

I am 20 weeks pregnant and starting to hope/think about breast feeding our little boy. He is due in September and we found out about a month or so ago that he will have Down Syndrome.

I know the importance of breast feeding in general. Then I know that breastfeeding to encourage muscle tone and sucking reflex is really important to try to in****l in a baby with Down Syndrome if possible.

I was wondering for any mommies out there who have breastfed and bottle fed their own babies with Down Syndrome if you could recommend techniques and also for brands of bottles/nipples for when my husband or others want to feed him?

I can't wait to meet this little guy! 

Best,

Crickets

#2 of 3 Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I have not totally BTDT but did have to pump and bottle feed due to my preemie having low tone and oral aversion-
1) Haberman feeders are good for some low-tone babies (google it)
2). Meet NOW with a lactation consultant and a feeding team (usually a occupational therapist and/or speech/language pathologist- our NICU had such a team so call them to find out how to get in touch with them. It is nice to arrange whatever you can pre-birth
3) I pumped and exclusively fed my DD breast milk for a year. It was possible because I have a VERY supportive DH who could help caring for DD while I pumped. I was also very good about pumping 8x/day (eventually I could space it more) and used a double electric pump. Not everyone can or wants to do this- but don't write off any of your goals as impossible!

Best wishes with having a great feeding relationship with your baby!!
cricketschirpin likes this.
#3 of 3 Old 04-30-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks Ratchet!!!  I really appreciate the support and feedback!

Best!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page