How hands-on are you as a midwife during labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 05-13-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm curious what the norm is regarding how "hands-on" midwives are during labor. Both my midwife and the one at the birth I just went to were VERY hands off- literally just were in the room, taking notes, taking baby's heart rate occasionally. My midwife was a little more hands on- suggesting changes of position, showing me breathing exercises and breathing with me, and having my husband do things for me like make me drink in between contractions and put heat/cold on me. 

How hands-on are YOU in birth? I feel like next birth I want my midwife to be MORE hands on, because I feel like I didnt have enough support- I would have liked her to tell me what positions to get in to help move the baby into position (my baby was asynclitic) especially because during my birth I was only comfortable lying down on my side and I think that contributed to the slow descent and malpositioning- I think it would have helped if she would have been more pro-active in getting me OFF my back and into better positions. I know that's what a doula is for... but I'm still kind of disappointed with the hands-off factor because it's not what I was expecting. 

How hands on are you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Anyone want to answer this mamas question. I'm curious as well.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm relatively hands off, unless I need to be. I am very proactive about baby's position before birth, however, especially avoiding posterior lie....I do check the fetal heart rate for frequently as labor progresses, and will advise position changes if needed. A lot of what I do is observation, to see if the mom NEEDS any help. Sometimes midwives unintentionally interfere....but sometimes a few gentle words or not so gentle, as the case may be, will get things moving along better...
Old 07-19-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Birth and Beyond. The Birth Professionals forum is a space for birth professionals to talk to each other, not an ask the professionals forum.

I hope you're able to get the answers you need.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  

User Tag List