Mothering Forum banner

How hands-on are you as a midwife during labor?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  phathui5 
#1 ·
I'm curious what the norm is regarding how "hands-on" midwives are during labor. Both my midwife and the one at the birth I just went to were VERY hands off- literally just were in the room, taking notes, taking baby's heart rate occasionally. My midwife was a little more hands on- suggesting changes of position, showing me breathing exercises and breathing with me, and having my husband do things for me like make me drink in between contractions and put heat/cold on me.

How hands-on are YOU in birth? I feel like next birth I want my midwife to be MORE hands on, because I feel like I didnt have enough support- I would have liked her to tell me what positions to get in to help move the baby into position (my baby was asynclitic) especially because during my birth I was only comfortable lying down on my side and I think that contributed to the slow descent and malpositioning- I think it would have helped if she would have been more pro-active in getting me OFF my back and into better positions. I know that's what a doula is for... but I'm still kind of disappointed with the hands-off factor because it's not what I was expecting.

How hands on are you?

#3 ·
I'm relatively hands off, unless I need to be. I am very proactive about baby's position before birth, however, especially avoiding posterior lie....I do check the fetal heart rate for frequently as labor progresses, and will advise position changes if needed. A lot of what I do is observation, to see if the mom NEEDS any help. Sometimes midwives unintentionally interfere....but sometimes a few gentle words or not so gentle, as the case may be, will get things moving along better...

#4 ·
Moving to Birth and Beyond. The Birth Professionals forum is a space for birth professionals to talk to each other, not an ask the professionals forum.

I hope you're able to get the answers you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.