Any natural childbirth book reccommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-02-2004, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there! I am expecting my first baby (not until around Thanksgiving time, so I have a while) and I am trying to research my options. I would love a birth center birth, but haven't been able to find any in my area unfortunately. I have a really great relationship with my OB and I really like her, so I am comfortable giving birth in a hospital with her knowing that she is respectful of my choices.

So, I want to have as natural a birth as possible in a hospital with my OB. Being my first baby I certainly want to be informed of all of my choices b/c I have NO idea how I will respond to labor, but ideally I don't want any medication or unneccessary intervention. Our hospital offers the typical hospital birth classes that I don't think will benefit my style in the least, and I have yet to find anything more progressive here as this is an ultra ultra ultra conservative town that I am forced to live in

So, that is my long winded way of asking if anyone has any suggestions of books I could read to get me ready to insist on the birth I want in a hospital. I have the Dr. Sears Birth Book which seemed like a good start

Mom to a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a cuddly little newborn
#2 of 8 Old 05-02-2004, 05:04 PM

Anything by Suzanne Arms or Sheila Kitzinger.

Anything by Henci Goer or Ina May Gaskin.

"Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" and "Husband-Coached Childbirth" by Dr. Bradley are good, too.

Some ppl love "Birthing from Within".... I didn't really think it was all that, but you might really like it.

Rahima Baldwin-? (Can't remember her last name... anyone remember? Dancy? Rancy? Something like that?)

And there are a couple of books about unassisted childbirth that give a really good perspective on how normal and healthy birth is, when left to its own devices.

There are also several books out there by midwives that I really enjoyed about their experiences as a midwife. They're good, too.

Good luck!
#3 of 8 Old 05-02-2004, 05:21 PM

Please read "The Thinking Woman's Guide to Childbirth".

And congrats on your first pregnancy & your decision to go natural! It is great. Your body was designed to give birth. Don't let people scare you with negative stories.
#4 of 8 Old 05-02-2004, 06:21 PM

Hi SomedayMom,

Congratulations on your pregnancy & your decision for a natural birth.

Consider these books:
Harper, Gentle Birth Choices: A Guide to Making Informed Decisions About Birthing Centers, Birth Attendants, Water Birth, Home Birth, Hospital Births
Gaskin, Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth
Peterson, An Easier Childbirth: A Mother's Guide for Birthing Normally
Goer, The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth

And although you didn't ask, ( ) I have to say a word about care providers/choice of birthplace. It's great that you get along w/your OB, but it doesn't tend to matter a whole lot overall... as a doula in hospitals, what I find is that the hospitals philosophies/standard practices, are extremely hard to overcome. They will make you afraid of terrible outcomes if you don't go along with their routines. Find out the stats & routines at the hospital where that OB practices, & don't assume that you would be supported in being different. It's an institution, and I'm not saying anyone has to be evil; they just have a standard way of doing things, and in most US hospitals, that's highly interventionist. The midwifery model just comes out of a completely other mindset. Which I assume you like since you are drawn to a birth center. Do check around for midwives that practice locally, and at least interview one with your partner before you decide anything.

Remember that the OB you get along with may not be on call when you go into labor, and in any event you are managed by other nurses & hospital staff often until the very end of labor.

Just my .02 I always have to mention when someone is early in pg & is hoping to 'swim against the stream.'

Good luck & keep us posted!

mamabutterfly

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#5 of 8 Old 05-02-2004, 09:19 PM

Ditto what mamabutterfly said above. Everything she said, in fact.

Henci Goer's book The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth is a must read, as is Ina May Gaskin's Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (the first half is birth stories, the second half is practical stuff and how to get your head in the right place so it matches up with your instinct and your heart). Suzanne Arms, Sheila Kitzinger and Robbie Davis-Floyd have all written wonderful anthropological/sociological books about birth and culture and if you have an interest in that, definitely check out some of their books. (My favorite is Rediscovering Birth by Kitzinger.)

I also recommend you at least look through Birthing From Within by Pam England. Although it may not be your cup of tea, some of the ideas may stir something inside you or point you to a new direction.

warmly,
claudia
#6 of 8 Old 05-02-2004, 10:05 PM

also peggy o'mara's having a baby, naturally is quite comprehensive. best wishes on a positive experience!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#7 of 8 Old 05-03-2004, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboClaudia
Ditto what mamabutterfly said above. Everything she said, in fact.
Aw, claudia, i'm blushing!

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#8 of 8 Old 05-03-2004, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the reccommendations!

As for the other advice, it is great! BUT...I am unfortunately very limited in my childbirth choices in this state, and particularly in this town. Missouri is one of those backwards states where only CNMs are legal, and ONLY under the supervision of a doctor. Homebirth with a midwife is illegal here, and I just can't bring myself to take the risk, I just can't, not the first time. And search as I might, I found ONE CNM here and she works at the hospital which is NOT on my insurance plan. I am still looking, but it doesn't seem to be an option with my health insurance. Anyone have any other ideas?

Did I mention that I hate, hate, hate this town? I have 2 choices, do it in a hospital with an OB or do it, illegally, at home with a midwife. There are doulas around here, at least THAT seems to be catching on. And I had an acupuncturist here who did fertility treatments on me (so I never had to take the clomid my OB prescribed!). Maybe there is hope.

I do love my OB though, thank GOD. And one of my assistants had a natural birth...TWINS with another doctor in the same practice. She thought her experience was great, wouldn't have done it any other way, so I am holding out hope that I get the birth I want

Thanks again.

Mom to a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a cuddly little newborn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page