MSNBC article: "Redesigning Birth" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-02-2004, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4880283/

"We try not to let patients totally dictate the way their labor is managed," says Thiet, whose UCSF birth center offers pools for the early, but not late, stages of labor. "But we do want them to have a say."

#2 of 10 Old 05-02-2004, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I'm a dictator, so I'm glad I'm not having a hospital birth!

That's the reason I decided against a birth center birth - because no matter how home-like they make it, even if all the midwives are DEMs and it's completely freestanding, it's still an institution with rules. There are rules about how long you can stay there during and after labor. The CNM birth center I almost delivered at had a rule that if you labored there for over 24 hours, you had to leave. They said you could either check into a hotel and come back later, or go to the hospital. It looks like my own home is going to be the only place without any stupid rules like that.

And the caption does not fit the photo at all. It's still a woman lying in bed with a bunch of wires attached to her. I don't believe she was given much of a choice.

Quote:
Jerold F. Lucey, M.D., editor of the journal Pediatrics, wrote in the October 2003 issue that he had "always considered underwater birth a bad joke, useless, a fad which was so idiotic it would go away. It hasn't!"
I thought doctors were really into scientific evidence. Has there ever been a case of a baby who died as a result of a waterbirth?

I think patients only "have a say" when either their wishes just happen to be what the hospital would do anyway, or when they just do whatever they want and don't give the doctor a choice.
#3 of 10 Old 05-02-2004, 05:01 PM

In Russia they believed that the longer a baby was underwater after it was born, the better an astronaut it would be when it grew up. Following that trend, many babies in the US were not brought immediately to the surface after birth. Those babies often had trouble "getting started." So if there ever was evidence water birth was unsafe, it is 20 something years old and totally irrelevant now since babies are brought to the surface soon after birth.
#4 of 10 Old 05-02-2004, 06:34 PM

She looks as wired up as I was during dd's birth. She's smiling too much to not have an epidural while stuck in bed. It was h--- lying on my side during labor with no epidural when I wanted to be moving around.

I hate that quote. OMG... like I'm going to let some man with a penis and no uterus tell me what I can and can't do according to his convenience. You gotta be kidding me!
#5 of 10 Old 05-02-2004, 10:41 PM

Wow. I certainly could have gone without reading that article.
It just reconfirms my choice to use a MW and have a waterbirth.

DS 6 DD 8
#6 of 10 Old 05-03-2004, 02:38 PM

Oh, and isn't that a total mis-statement of what a doula is?
#7 of 10 Old 05-03-2004, 04:13 PM

*cold chills running down back*
#8 of 10 Old 05-03-2004, 10:50 PM

must...not...read...article...

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#9 of 10 Old 05-03-2004, 10:59 PM

Uggh, klothos, why'd you do that to me? Now I'm going to be stomping around mumbling to myself for days . . .

(My husband and I just spent most of a 2 hour car ride this morning discussing the rediculous state of birth in the US)
#10 of 10 Old 05-04-2004, 09:41 AM

Quote:
And how can they ensure that they give women autonomy without ceding too much of their own authority?

Quote:
"We try not to let patients totally dictate the way their labor is managed," says Thiet, whose UCSF birth center offers pools for the early, but not late, stages of labor. "But we do want them to have a say." After all, in the last 30 years they've gotten a say in almost everything else.
:Puke

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page